Discovery Channel delivers head shot to Pittsburgh Penguins

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Wow that really show how useless advanced degrees are becoming these days..

So she has a bachelors and a masters degree.. lets say $100-200K investment in education, and her career path involves basically "tweeting" and posting instagram photos from a cell phone to the internet. Sounds like she isn't even a big hockey fan to begin with either.

Way to use that education

Coincidentally, 14 year old girls in highschool are doing the same jobs, just they aren't getting paid for it.

Jeez - we're an awesome bunch of optimistic individuals around here these days :biglaugh:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Great come back.

I had three friends taunting me with that on FB :laugh:

And, hey, don't bash advanced degrees, I have a masters and I am office ***** in a big corporation. Wait 'till I complete my MBA though, I should be promoted to super ***** :cry:

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Appropriate Pens twitter response: "I haven't seen a TV channel pull off a burn that harsh since people actually tuned in to watch Eaten Alive"

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Wow that really show how useless advanced degrees are becoming these days..

So she has a bachelors and a masters degree.. lets say $100-200K investment in education, and her career path involves basically "tweeting" and posting instagram photos from a cell phone to the internet. Sounds like she isn't even a big hockey fan to begin with either.

Advanced degrees in anything except Law (if you want to be a politician) or Engineering don't really mean anything except that you know how to ingratiate and kiss ass with the properly approved people.

And even Engineering is starting to go that route.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Cassius and optimism are two words I would never have used in the same sentence.
Once the Penguins give me a reason to be optimistic, I'll do just that.. until then, I'll call it like I see it. lol..

I'm an extremely happy guy when it comes to non-Penguins topics tho.

Slick Arnold

Sponsor
Oct 4, 2005
So many comeback options...

lance-post-4.jpg

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Is she has a master's degree why isn't she using the Penguins account to question management? Tired of this get along gang ****. I expect my team's official media outlets to ask hard hitting questions and smell conspiracy in everything.

:laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:laugh: This board is really rough to come into as of late. Pens did that to themselves, but god almighty it is a very low low right now for the Pens.

Some will point to the early 80s or x-gen years for the lowest lows of Pens, but it was easier because the team was at least likable. This team should have success, but doesn't, and is very unlikable. The marketing went from some of the best stuff ever (Great Day For Hockey) to nonstop Fall Out Boy and idiotic promos. The ice-crew are a bunch of douches. The media is the worst. :laugh: Man it's a rough time for the Pens right now!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
:laugh: This board is really rough to come into as of late. Pens did that to themselves, but god almighty it is a very low low right now for the Pens.

Some will point to the early 80s or x-gen years for the lowest lows of Pens, but it was easier because the team was at least likable. This team should have success, but doesn't, and is very unlikable. The marketing went from some of the best stuff ever (Great Day For Hockey) to nonstop Fall Out Boy and idiotic promos. The ice-crew are a bunch of douches. The media is the worst. :laugh: Man it's a rough time for the Pens right now!

I'd like to see someone do a comprehensive timeline on where we were (cup victory, hometown discounts, model franchise) and how we ended up where we are currently at (take your pick).

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

You gotta be realistic about things. Why the **** would anyone be positive about this franchise given what we just witnessed in the past 12 months?

Literally everything unraveled from top to bottom.

Same thing happens in the corporate world.

Let's say you're an employee of a high flying tech company that had a huge rise and went public at $10B.. then management totally screws up, the stock loses 80% of value.

Employees are going to be pissed, paychecks are impacted, and the previous positive vibes turn sour rather quickly. Executives get fired. Disgruntled employees leave.. customers run for the exits. Revenue drops, etc.. Same concept in play here, just on a lesser scale.

You forgot to mention horrible management in your reasons too - lets not lose sight of that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd like to see someone do a comprehensive timeline on where we were (cup victory, hometown discounts, model franchise) and how we ended up where we are currently at (take your pick).

The funny thing is, it wasn't just one thing. The major turning point was the Flyers series, but there were signs of it prior to that. I mean... you could even include incompetent medical staff who thought Sid had a concussion and then it ended up being neck issues.... The mump situation....

It goes on and on. It's pretty impressive to not accidentally do one thing right.

You gotta be realistic about things. Why the **** would anyone be positive about this franchise given what we just witnessed in the past 12 months?

You know I disagree with you on pretty much everything, but I can't disagree with anyone who is livid at the situation we are in. I can't. They have every right. I was just stating how terrible it is right now. It's awful to be a fan. It really is. This is not enjoyable at all, but I'll be there with all of you when we start next season. :yo:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This team has no soul. It's easy to blame Crosby and Malkin but it is their fault. This isn't Crosby's team, nor is it Malkin's team, its just a blah conglomeration of superstars and scrubs.

Can someone please make this their team. The Penguins were Mario's team, even with Jagr, Francis, Nedved, Coffey, Barrasso, Lucky Luc.... ect.

The Penguins were then Jagr's team, even with Kovy, Straka, Lang ect.

Next season, Crosby or Malkin take over and make this their team. I'm tired of the debates, tired of this you do it, no you do it, attitude.

Someone step the hell up. THAT is our biggest problem.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Things egregiously wrong with this organization, in no particular order:

Horrendous prospect depth
Horrendous asset management
Horrendous prospect development
Absolutely zero accountability top to bottom
Missing 1/3 of it's top six
Way too many aging, ineffective vets
Soft as baby ****, on forward and defense
Old. Slow. Small.
No fire in the gut of the players or the coach
No vision beyond the current day from our 103 GMs
Winning hockey games and ultimately Cups takes a distant backseat to a family friendly atmosphere and making money

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
This team has no soul. It's easy to blame Crosby and Malkin but it is their fault. This isn't Crosby's team, nor is it Malkin's team, its just a blah conglomeration of superstars and scrubs.

Can someone please make this their team. The Penguins were Mario's team, even with Jagr, Francis, Nedved, Coffey, Barrasso, Lucky Luc.... ect.

The Penguins were then Jagr's team, even with Kovy, Straka, Lang ect.

Next season, Crosby or Malkin take over and make this their team. I'm tired of the debates, tired of this you do it, no you do it, attitude.

Someone step the hell up. THAT is our biggest problem.

That's not who Crosby is. He never was and likely never will be. He is a GREAT GREAT GREAT hockey player, but he is not the "rah-rah follow me" type. Malkin seems to do more of that (the relax comment), but he seems rather quiet as well. Same for Letang and Fleury.

We were succesful when we had guys like Talbot and Roberts who would do that stuff. Even Orpik in his prime.

We need to bring back guys with that sort of character. None could have Talbot`s impact though, because he came up with the stars and had their respect - some third/fourth liner with character wouldn't matter to our core as much as Talbot, a guy that grew up with them inside the organization, did. We would need to find a modern-day Roberts.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

just wait for Mario to sell the team to Ed Snider

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
That's not who Crosby is. He never was and likely never will be. He is a GREAT GREAT GREAT hockey player, but he is not the "rah-rah follow me" type. Malkin seems to do more of that (the relax comment), but he seems rather quiet as well. Same for Letang and Fleury.

We were succesful when we had guys like Talbot and Roberts who would do that stuff. Even Orpik in his prime.

We need to bring back guys with that sort of character. None could have Talbot`s impact though, because he came up with the stars and had their respect - some third/fourth liner with character wouldn't matter to our core as much as Talbot, a guy that grew up with them inside the organization, did. We would need to find a modern-day Roberts.

Mario wasn't rah-rah either; however, make no mistake, the Pittsburgh Penguins were his team.

I want a guy who isn't just "one of the guys". Own this team. Be selfish. Score the goal to win the game. Systems, scrubs, and delegation are no way to win a championship.

Malkin took the team on his back from game 6 of the second round to the finals. We need that. Who cares what toes are stepped on.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's not like there's a college course that teaches sports team trash talk. It's something you can either do or you can't.

If the Pens are going to cut into other organization's twitter feeds to be smartasses, they'd be better off hiring some idiot from the Pensblog than an MBA with ten years of marketing experience.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Ken Sawyer's approach to promotion

David Morehouse's approach to promotion

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's not like there's a college course that teaches sports team trash talk. It's something you can either do or you can't.

If the Pens are going to cut into other organization's twitter feeds to be smartasses, they'd be better off hiring some idiot from the Pensblog than an MBA with ten years of marketing experience.

put another way (IMO):

charisma can't be taught, and the Penguins don't have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad