Dirty players in your team's history that you loved

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
With the Tom Wilson hoopla recently, who would you say is the dirtiest player to ever play for your team? As a Devils fan, Claude Lemieux is probably the most notorious dirty player to play for them.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Kadri, he was a soldier for the Leafs.

October 2020 article: Top 10 Dirtiest NHL Players (thehockeywriters.com)

Dirtiest_Players-575x347.jpg

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Tucker, Darcy

As a Sabres fan, f*** that guy. As someone trying to be objective- ya, I get it. Even when I hated him, I knew I’d appreciate him in blue and gold.

Also..

Patrick Kaleta. Teenage me loved his reckless wreck ‘em style. Different opinion now, that one on Kariya was never defensible, but at the time I loved how much of a random game changer the dude could be.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
As a Sabres fan, f*** that guy. As someone trying to be objective- ya, I get it. Even when I hated him, I knew I’d appreciate him in blue and gold.

Also..

Patrick Kaleta. Teenage me loved his reckless wreck ‘em style. Different opinion now, that one on Kariya was never defensible, but at the time I loved how much of a random game changer the dude could be.
Kaleta, Rob Ray, and Matt Barnaby. f*** those guys :laugh:

Tie Domi's another one from our end that a lot of Leaf fans loved, but he really, really completely lost me after the Niedermayer hit. It was genuinely one of the most bush league things ever and it completely erased any momentum we had from winning that game. That hit woke up the Devils big time and they eventually destroyed us in game 7.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Everyone's going to expect us to say Marchand for Boston. Unpopular opinion but I think Marchand's reputation is overstated and largely stems from some incidents from early in his career, he's been playing clean for 3 years now, and pretty much all the disciplinary actions after about 2013 were reputation-driven and not assessed on their own merit.

I think Lucic was a more "dirty" player. by that I mean he crossed the line at times to where even I as a fan was like "alright man, cool it down." But I loved that it came from a place of passion and competition, not malice.

Otherwise the players that opposing fanbases derided as being dirty thugs back when we were a physical team - Thornton and Chara mostly, were standup players and widely respected across the league, even with that Orpik incident and the Pacioretty accident that everyone went crazy about. Going back years before that, Kyle McLaren is pretty much only remembered for that flying elbow on Zednik in the playoffs. But I loved the physicality he brought even if he crossed the line (also, I was like 14 then so I didn't feel bothered by him throwing a cheapshot against our biggest rival).

Last guy on the team who I think was a total dirty tool? Probably McSorely.

Reactions: CDJ and Dicky113

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad