Dirty players in your team's history that you loved

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I never watched him enough to have much of an opinion. But I vividly remember my dad teaching me how to screen a goalie as a little kid. Millions of kids learned the same and never thought of it as unsportsmanlike to purposely block a netminders view. It's amazing to me that none of us even thought about turning around and visually making sure the goalie couldn't see the play. Avery did and I love that moment in sport. Blew so many "that's just not right" minds for a few minutes before they could even start to verbalize why.
Yeah, that was pretty iconic.

I like players breaking unwritten rules because they're fun dirty and nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: DaveG

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Scott Stevens was one of those guys who played by the rules, but you could still call dirty.

Stevens wasn't really dirty, he was just a sociopath. I was always amazed someone could intentionally hurt someone really bad, and not have a second thought.

He's one of those guys I'd have difficulty feeling for if something bad happened to him.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Might have to explain that one to Kris Draper's face.

I remember when he was a Devil, there was a fan in I think it was Toronto, holding up a hand-made sign by the side of the freeway that said "will fight Claude Lemieux for money." He was a much hated, dirty POS long before the Draper hit.

We're talking about a player who ripped into one of his team-mates so hard that he made him cry in front of the entire locker room, causing him to have to be traded away.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
This thread reminds me of the times when hockey was sooo good to watch.

Nowadays this is mostly like football/soccer/ringette, watered down version of the great game it once was.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Not really sure who this would be for Carolina. Jeff Skinner tried to kick a guy once?

I just read a list that said Keith Primeau was the dirtiest Hurricane, but nobody liked him anyway.

Did anyone like Keith Primeau? I don't remember many Flyers fans liking him either. Guy was a major primadonna. Primeaudonna?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Scott Stevens

though it wasnt called much while he played, I find that mentality of play to be violent vs competitive

still my favorite childhood player
Yeah... he hit to injure. No doubting his ability which makes it worse as he was fully capable of dealing out hits that crushed guys bodies, without being reckless. However he seemed to relish headshots which at that point were known to cause players to lose games and be career enders. It’s a complete myth to think it’s completely new science. There’s a better understanding of the long term life implications but the career risks were well known. A complete POS.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Raffi Torres but he legitimately played mostly clean for the sharks.;)
Because if he hit anyone he would be suspended for 6 months . Wilson should get the same treatment.

Its too bad because Torres could score 20 goals per season but they were punishing hits at the moment and he was the poster boy . And then they stopped

Last edited:
Reactions: Alwalys and DaveG

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ummmm.....

Loved Knuckles. Part of one of the finest checking lines I've ever seen. Definitely got under the Bruins skin like no other but to say he wasn't super-dirty seems, oh I dunno, WRONG. I mean that's Nifty, a Byng winner and 5 time finalist for the award he's butt-ending in the mouth! 9th most PIMs in a career, highest career penalty avg. per game @ 4.42, most PIMs in a playoffs (141 in 18 games!), 2nd most career playoff PIMs to Dale Hunter, and holds the record for most penalties in a single game w/ ten (6 minors, two majors, 10-min misconduct, game misconduct). It's quite the rap sheet and he was not shy crossing the line. The great Bruce Hood in his biography Calling the Shots singled out Nilan as one of the biggest shit disturbers in the league whose games he hated to have to officiate.

Good stuff! Funny thing is, Chris came from Boston!

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
tucker for sure. even I have to admit he was dirty though. that leafs - isles round 1 series in the early 00's, omg. the stuff they let go was absolutely ridiculous.

tucker was flat out trying to end isles' players careers. when he low-bridged peca.... i just, i dont know how that happens without getting killed on the ice afterwards, but I guess that was the point of having a team with tucker, domi, roberts, corson, belak, cross, etc, etc.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
We're seeing different things in this clip. Baxter got his stick up on Nilan not once, but twice: the first time at the blueline; the second time after Nilan tapped him on the shins.

No, I see Baxter getting his stick up just fine. And I have no problems w/ Nilan trying to get after him for it. But throwing a puck? Seems a tad extreme, dontcha think?

I'm a Habs fan and always liked Nilan. The guy was tough as nails, took all comers and could really play the game when he wasn't in the box. I just think suggesting that he wasn't a dirty player is an incorrect notion.

SamInVan

Dec 5, 2016
VanCity
Raffi Torres with Edmonton was just a little bit dirty but still decently productive and brought solid energy. Once he went to Vancouver he was a full pyscho though.. maybe too much time spent at Roxy and after hours places?

Raffi Torres had lengthy suspensions (21 games with Phoenix and 41 with SJS) AFTER he played for Van. He was suspended once as a Canuck for 4 games. For the record never liked him as player or person and was glad when he was gone.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Stevens wasn't really dirty, he was just a sociopath. I was always amazed someone could intentionally hurt someone really bad, and not have a second thought.

He's one of those guys I'd have difficulty feeling for if something bad happened to him.

There's a player who I loved the first half of his career and hated the second half.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->