Dirty hit by Borowiecki on Toffoli

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Throw the book at him and suspend him for the season. Do us all a favor

In a shocking decision, the DoPS has required the Sens to give Boro 20 minutes of icetime in each of the next three games!

Really though I liked his edgy play, just seems like a strange fit in Ottawa.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know why so many Sens fans ever defended the guy. :dunno:

I mean, he was basically throwing off his gloves on the follow through of the hit. He knew it was dirty. And he's not new to dirty hits.

*Note, I'm not trying to generalize a fan base. Not at all*

Sens fans didn't really defend this hit though. He's routinely trashed by our fan base but I don't think he is a dirty player.

I'd like him as our #6 or #7 but he's played alot recently due to Methots absence so his mistakes have been much more visible. He was doing pretty ok up until the Methot injury. Methot was back today but Boro played absolutely terrible and quite frankly, stupid. I don't like blaming one player for a loss but he probably cost us this game. Team should send him a message by scratching him for the next game if he isn't suspended. It was an unnecessary hit IMO.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Considering tofolli is OK and the fact it cost his team 5 min and 2 goals I think it's enough punishment. It was reckless but there have been far worse gone without suspension

I have always had a problem with that philosophy. I don't think the discipline should have anything to do with how severely the player was penalized by the referee, let alone have anything to do with the number of goals scored on the PP.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yea...that's ****ing dirty.

He should get a game suspension for that. We don't need that in the league, he saw the numbers the whole way.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sens fans didn't really defend this hit though. He's routinely trashed by our fan base but I don't think he is a dirty player.

I'd like him as our #6 or #7 but he's played alot recently due to Methots absence so his mistakes have been much more visible. He was doing pretty ok up until the Methot injury. Methot was back today but Boro played absolutely terrible and quite frankly, stupid. I don't like blaming one player for a loss but he probably cost us this game. Team should send him a message by scratching him for the next game if he isn't suspended. It was an unnecessary hit IMO.

I corrected myself. Originally I made it out to seem Sens fans were defending the hit. That isn't what I meant. I meant to suggest I don't know why they previously defended the guy so much. Obviously Sens fans aren't his biggest fan right now. :laugh:

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
I corrected myself. Originally I made it out to seem Sens fans were defending the hit. That isn't what I meant. I meant to suggest I don't know why they previously defended the guy so much. Obviously Sens fans aren't his biggest fan right now. :laugh:

I don't really recall Sens fans defending him. I think he was a pretty exciting player when starting his NHL career (With his hits, not much else). That was short lived but the hatred really comes with his usage. I've never seen so much hate against someone when he was playing as Kyle Turris' linemate :laugh:

He's a 7th D on most teams IMO.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't really recall Sens fans defending him. I think he was a pretty exciting player when starting his NHL career (With his hits, not much else). That was short lived but the hatred really comes with his usage. I've never seen so much hate against someone when he was playing as Kyle Turris' linemate :laugh:

He's a 7th D on most teams IMO.

Well... we apparently remember things a little differently. You're probably more involved on the Sens board than I am, so I'll believe you. :laugh:

Although I do live in Ottawa, so I've seen some surprisingly diehard Boro fans (in Vanier, granted ;)).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If it was against Kadri,... I'd say no problem:sarcasm:

Hit from behind 5 minute major ... He should get a couple games.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Well... we apparently remember things a little differently. You're probably more involved on the Sens board than I am, so I'll believe you. :laugh:

Although I do live in Ottawa, so I've seen some surprisingly diehard Boro fans (in Vanier, granted ;)).

Those posters are most likely the same that wanted Neil as captain. Not saying Neil is a bad player but captain? They're the same fans who rather have tough players on the team over the more talented ones. I'd say that most Ottawa fans know that Boro is at best a 6th-7th defenseman on the depth charts.

Diehard Borowiecki fans are frustrating. It's a similar situation to Desharnais in Montreal. They aren't TERRIBLE players but if they're played more than they should, they're very hated. I've seen some Habs fans with some serious love for DD.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Those posters are most likely the same that wanted Neil as captain. Not saying Neil is a bad player but captain? They're the same fans who rather have tough players on the team over the more talented ones. I'd say that most Ottawa fans know that Boro is at best a 6th-7th defenseman on the depth charts.

Diehard Borowiecki fans are frustrating. It's a similar situation to Desharnais in Montreal. They aren't TERRIBLE players but if they're played more than they should, they're very hated. I've seen some Habs fans with some serious love for DD.

Probably... only thing I'd say here is that Neil IS a bad player. ;)

Ha, I'd like to say I know what you mean, but I'm not sure anyone in Montreal likes DD (even the most diehard Habs fan). :laugh: He doesn't bring... anything. At least you can say that Neil and Boro hit.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Well there you go again with the players bumping an injured player on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hit seemed more like a boarding than Checking from behind to me.

Toffoli looked up ice where Boro was coming from before turning towards the boards. I could see the refs still giving a major for the boarding, as he seemed to hit the boards pretty good, but I could also have seen a minor called on that play. I can't see how Toffoli didn't expect Boro to go for a hit on the play, though he may not have expected it from that angle.

People thinking that's suspendable, I really don't know what to say. Certainly a penalty, but without an injury, nor any obvious intent to injure, I really can't see that being even considered for supplemental discipline.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Probably... only thing I'd say here is that Neil IS a bad player. ;)

Ha, I'd like to say I know what you mean, but I'm not sure anyone in Montreal likes DD (even the most diehard Habs fan). :laugh: He doesn't bring... anything. At least you can say that Neil and Boro hit.

Loool I love Neil, I do like him as our 12th guy and he was so good in his prime. He also got hated on by fans when he would regularly receive powerplay time.

Borowiecki & Desharnais aren't AHL fodder like most of the fanbases claim. They can actively contribute to an NHL team in very small roles. Both our team have used these players excessively in the past. Unfortunately for Desharnais, his skillset is not good enough for the top six but his game doesn't suit your typical bottom six.

Luckily for Sens fans, Boucher has put him in a decent position for success at a small scale. Borowiecki averages about 9-15 minutes a game now compared to last season where he played 17-21 minutes a night. He's been getting hated on alot in the past week due to his increased usage when Methot was injured (Played about 20min+ to replace MM3s minutes). I guess what I'm trying to say is, he isn't terrible in a limited role where he can lay hits, fight and block shots but he has had an increase in minutes which caused more mistakes.

His minutes:
https://www.nhl.com/player/mark-borowiecki-8474697?stats=gamelogs-r-nhl&season=20162017

You can compare that to his other seasons. Borowiecki in limited minutes is not a horrible player. I just wish we signed Seidenberg so that if injuries were to strike, we'd have a player capable of taking on more minutes :cry:

Some players are capable of moving up and down the line-up but Borowiecki is not able to do this while staying effective.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Gudas is a solid hockey player but he can make stupid hits.

He's an okay #4 or good #5.

absolutely agree, gudas can push the envelope a little too far too often. just arguing he's nowhere near comparable to borowiecki, a duster who happens to wear an NHL jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad