Dirty (?) Hit by Blichfeld Potentially Concusses Mackinnon (suspended 2 games)

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Player with the most fights all time vs the San Jose Sharks? The guy handing out this suspension, which is also 1 more than a Sharks opponent has received during his tenure.

Guy is a biased joke. His biggest contribution to an nhl ice surface is when his head banged off of it.

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
Yes there is. Very obviously throwing his body back to avoid contact before continuing forward, clear as day.

I agree. The one angle looks like MacKinnon sees him coming and is about to pull back to try to make a deke around him (NHL21 L1 button).

That said, there is still contact with the head though I don't necessarily think it is entirely Blichfeld's fault. Doesn't matter whose fault it is though, it still happened and the onus is on the hitter not to make head contact. I honestly don't think it's a dirty hit. More so an unfortunate one where the timing was off with Blichfeld half-ass committing to a hit on his way to the bench. The fact it was MacKinnon really doesn't help him and its gets so much attention. I don't think he gets suspended if it is Joel Armia he makes that hit on.

Good to see MacKinnon looks to be all right and won't miss any time. He is a hell of a player and the game is better with him on the ice and not in the press box.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The thing is, if Blitchfeld hits Mackinnon solidly to the body, he probably sends him headfirst into the boards. Approaching from a perpendicular angle to a player with speed near the boards, the likelihood of this hit having a legal outcome was pretty slim.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The thing is, if Blitchfeld hits Mackinnon solidly to the body, he probably sends him headfirst into the boards. Approaching from a perpendicular angle to a player with speed near the boards, the likelihood of this hit having a legal outcome was pretty slim.
But alternatively, if Mackinnon gives up on the puck and braces for the contact, it’s really unlikely anyone gets hurt or anything in particular happens at all.

If the rules need changed, change them, but if this is a matter of player safety then remind them not to sell out in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Alwalys

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Doesn't look like he was aiming for the head. Looks like he went for the shoulder and miscalculated on where Mackinnon would be and instead ended up grazing his shoulder and catching his head.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I hate the inconsistency in these cases, and I hate that Star players get special treatment.

So many cases worse than this, that didn’t even get a match penalty...

Reactions: SCP Guy and TK 421

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
The problem is inconstancy, this year on the Habs both Kotkaniemi and Armia got hit to the head on what was a way more direct hit to the head than the Blichfeld hit who clearly hit the shoulder fist. No suspension hearing or fines were given.

So what is the difference, the superstar player? That is bu.llsht and everyone knows it. What's the message hear, you can hit 95% of the players, just don't hit the stars?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Classy avs fans spouting deaththreats at Blichfeld on his insta:thumbd::shakehead
Instagram comments yikes. Sad how people act but that's internet though people on insta be calling themselves dude.6954 have 3 followers with an Avs picture and be commenting s*** like this.

Didn't deserve a suspension IMO if it was another player this would've been nothing but since it's Mack he got 2 games. That's just an unfortunate outcome pretty sure that wasn't intended.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Instagram comments yikes. Sad how people act but that's internet though people on insta be calling themselves dude.6954 have 3 followers with an Avs picture and be commenting s*** like this.

Didn't deserve a suspension IMO if it was another player this would've been nothing but since it's Mack he got 2 games. That's just an unfortunate outcome pretty sure that wasn't intended.
Yup, as great as the internet is, it has brought with it alot of bs behaviour.

I am sure there was no ill intent from Blichfeld, he seemed like a down to earth kinda guy when he was with Portland in the Dub.

I agree about the suspensions, the match penalty was enough.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Yep I’m fine with this being a suspension if others that were as bad or worse were suspensions but they weren’t.

Agreed that this should be a suspension, and I also think that worse hits have not been suspended this season.

That hit was from the season opener, and to me, is a dirtier hit. No suspension

Seems like the star status of the player being hit is the most important factor ?

Some consistency would be nice...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Oh I see what happened there. You see Vegas is special, rules don't apply to them and their players all get the star player rule.
The one time a call went against them they shit the bed and gave up 8x the average goals for that penalty.

League won’t let that happen again.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
hockey play with an unfortunate result

it didn't look like he was trying to head-hunt MacKinnon imo, but the rules is the rules and so 2 games is what you get

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
These exact hits aren't uncommon. It's pretty easy to see how they happen - guy commits to the hit and whiffs a bit to the front of the skater with the puck because the game is fast, and the puck carrier may try to slow up to avoid the hit, etc.

I doubt that many of them are intentional shoulders to the head / jaw. Maybe they don't care that they're playing too out of control, but assuming intent to make contact with somebody's head and to injure them is a bit of a leap.

Sucks that they happen, and guys do deserve suspensions for the result of their reckless play. Maybe I'm wrong but it does seem like catching McKinnon in the head gets you more games than catching AHL COVID protocol callup guy in the head. That hit on anybody should be 2 games is my point.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
The problem is inconstancy
Is it really inconsistency when it all goes one direction? No player has been suspended for a hit on the Sharks in 5+ seasons. Sharks players get multiple day suspensions that players of other teams get nothing or minimal punishment for. The bias is perfectly consistent. And it starts with Parros.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
Which begs the question, if ya going to get screwed, might as well deserve it lol

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Is it really inconsistency when it all goes one direction? No player has been suspended for a hit on the Sharks in 5+ seasons. Sharks players get multiple day suspensions that players of other teams get nothing or minimal punishment for. The bias is perfectly consistent. And it starts with Parros.

What other exemple of shark suspensions from Paros?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad