Dirtiest hit you've ever seen by a Leaf player

Censored23

May 20, 2011
I'm a big Domi fan but the hit on Niedermayer; it was pure stupidity and selfishness, nowhere near the puck. I don't think the hit on Samuelsson was dirty; Samuelsson was taunting him, what did he expect?

Agreed. The elbow on Neidermayer was just plain stupid. Definitely suspension-worthy. However...the punch on Samuelsson was EPIC. If anyone deserved to get their block knocked off, it was Ulf. He was the definition of dirty player, and what he got was poetic justice. Domi should have been given a medal for that instead of an 8-game suspension.

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Tucker's hit on Gonchar in the corner comes to mind, when he jumped about 4 feet in the air and just Destroyed Gonchar, into the boards/glass too. And of course Domi's infamous elmbow.

ForSpareParts*

Gilmour used to do all sorts of scrappy things out there. i saw him on more than one occasion leave his feat on a hit.

Domi's elbow on Nieds is the worst i can think of. Big idiot for doing that. I think the Buds could have won that series.

LeafsFIO*

Probably Hollweg on Pietrangelo. Domi on Neidermayer was ugly but he deserved it after what he pulled in game five of the series.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
The context for the Roberts hit on Jonsson was Webb running around and jumping at guys all series long.

That whole series was a war.

An Islander slashing and breaking Sundin's wrist.
Webb taking runs at Leaf players every game on the island.
Corson trying to kick Carins.
Domi using Cummings as a punching bag.
Tucker's low bridge on Peca who had been running around throwing alot of hits in that series.
Roberts hit on Jonsson.

I'm sure I'm missing more.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
What is the dirtiest hit you've ever seen a Leaf player make? For me, as far as seeing it live in my lifetime goes, it'd have to be the Domi elbow on Niedermayer in the 2001 playoffs against the Devils. That was gutless, reprehensible, inexcusable, and I have no idea why he did such an idiotic thing.

No Leaf player has ever thrown a dirty hit, nor have they ever deserved any penalty. Ever. :sarcasm:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
What is the dirtiest hit you've ever seen a Leaf player make? For me, as far as seeing it live in my lifetime goes, it'd have to be the Domi elbow on Niedermayer in the 2001 playoffs against the Devils. That was gutless, reprehensible, inexcusable, and I have no idea why he did such an idiotic thing.

While he shouldn't have done it, part of the problem in discussing it is most people don't remember why he did it. He did it because Niedermayer crosschecked him in the face opening him up in a couple locations. As per usual, star players get nothing for their deeds. You know full well he'd never stand up man to man with Domi over what he did and since the officials did nothing, Domi did something. Unfortunately it was selfish and he should have waited for regular season to get his pay back. For those who also don't remember, Niedermayer has employed very dirty stick work before, like his two handed full head swing on Peter Worrell.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
While he shouldn't have done it, part of the problem in discussing it is most people don't remember why he did it. He did it because Niedermayer crosschecked him in the face opening him up in a couple locations. As per usual, star players get nothing for their deeds. You know full well he'd never stand up man to man with Domi over what he did and since the officials did nothing, Domi did something. Unfortunately it was selfish and he should have waited for regular season to get his pay back. For those who also don't remember, Niedermayer has employed very dirty stick work before, like his two handed full head swing on Peter Worrell.
Is there a video of that? I don't recall the game much(I want to forget every series loss lol)

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Leafs let them back in the series with that hit. There was a distinct difference in the New Jersey team the next game. They were asleep until that hit.

Yeah, NJ management spending three days whining about it does that sometimes.

I mean, it was clearly a penalty, but man, did NJ ever blow it out of proportion. And Niedermayer was right back in the next series, too.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Not only because it was dirty but basically it pissed off NJ so much Toronto didn't touch the puck for the rest of the series, didn't Toronto only get like 30 total shots for the entire series after that hit. If the Havlat hit turned momentum to Toronto when Ottawa was gaining steam, the Neids hit reversed it as Toronto was handling NJ pretty well in that series.

You're mixing up the first and second times we played NJ in the second round (remember, we did it in back-to-back years). The first year was the no-shots year; Domi's elbow was in the second year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad