Dirtiest hit you've ever seen by a Leaf player

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I'm not old enough to remember the Domi hit so probably Roberts on Jonsson... that was brutal

Tucker on Peca wasn't even considered a dirty hit at the time IIRC

jughead42*

I think it was pretty dirty when Kypreos "accidentally" (on purpose) dropped on Grant Fuhr's bad knee. I don't think there's a youtube clip of it, but I remember it vividly. Kypreos had his back to Fuhr and was drifting towards the crease. Fuhr goes down to make a save putting his leg in an awkward position in the process. Kypreos turns his head and spots Fuhr down, then he changes direction and falls backwards right on top of him. There's no doubt it was on purpose, Fuhr was stoning the Leafs in that playoff series up to that point. It took Fuhr out for the rest of the season. At the time I was happy because it helped the Leafs win, but when Kypreos eventually got concussed out of the league it made it easier to not feel too bad for him.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, for my generation at least, the Domi hit jumps from and center. Loved him as a kid, but that was just completely uncalled for.

The Tucker hit on Kapanen in the 2004 playoffs was pretty devastating as well. I don't think he ever got called for anything, but looking back, Kapanen didn't even have the puck yet, Tucker took a healthy run, and it was definitely a headshot IMO (not that that was illegal back then). Makes me cringe every time I see the replay of Kapanen struggling to get to the bench.

That was a beautiful hit. That is the definition of keeping your head up. Kapanen was looking at his feet and got absolutely destroyed. The end result was terrible though

The puck was at Kapenen's feet and he was looking down. Was his fault.

:handclap:

such a late hit....

Beauty hit, haven't seen that one in a while

How about Mark Bell on Alfy? It was pretty bad.

Mark Bell on Alfy should probably be considered.

Not a lot of really bad headshots delivered by Leafs over the years, and they're mostly from either Tie or Darcy.

Alfredsson got rocked. Mark Bell with the one of the best hits I've seen.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Not really a hit, but first thing that came to mind was the Domi sucker punch on Samuelsson
Samuelsson deserved that! lol. Brad May also sucker punch KO'd him. :laugh: Ulf Samuelsson would not have had a bounty on his head if he wasn't such a cheap short artist and agitator. He deliberately injures guys and destroys careers with dirty knee on knee hits and what not. Guys like that and Matt Cooke have no place in hockey. Should be banned for life. If anyone deserved to get Steve Moore'd, it would be Ulf Samuelsson and Matt Cooke. They deliberately end careers so I'm not going to cry any tears if someone tries to end theirs. I loved it when Evander Kane KO'd Matt Cooke as well (but that was a fight, not a sucker). I wish that we were at a point where we don't have to use goons in hockey. But we probably have to. If cheap shot artists didn't have to worry about Colton Orr, Frazer McLaren and Mark Fraser, they would probably be more inclined to deliberately try to injure our stars. Even if Patrick Kaleta is too much of a ***** to fight Orr, Orr still went after him, punched Kaleta in the head until he turtled and got the ref to step in and took the instigator penalty. Kaleta then pays the price for being a cheap shot guy. But we shouldn't have to resort to using enforcers to protect our guys. Brendan Shanahan needs to come down hard on knee-on-knee hits, head shots and other cheap shots. A knee-on-knee hit should be an automatic lifetime ban. Careers have been ended or guys have never been the same after those hits.

Last edited:

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
How about Mark Bell on Alfy? It was pretty bad.

That hit really wasn't really dirty. It was just incredibly hard. Alfie cut through the middle to take a shot without looking. 15 year olds know better than that. Bell never left his feet or anything he just lowered the boom.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I haven't seen too many dirty hits the other team didn't deserve. This includes the Domi hit. Sometimes an innocent player on the other team gets to pay the price for his teammates. It's a team game.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
This one immediately came to mind. Just mind boggling. Nowhere near the play. just cheap. I think that turned the series in their favour as well.
Did it really though? The series went to game 7 and we won that game and the very next one. We choked in game 7

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Tie Domi on Niedermayer. I was actually upset at Domi for that dirty hit. I have a fuzzy memory of Bryan Marchment doing a dirty hit also. Not sure if it actually happened or if it was just based on his reputation :laugh:.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Did it really though? The series went to game 7 and we won that game and the very next one. We choked in game 7

Leafs let them back in the series with that hit. There was a distinct difference in the New Jersey team the next game. They were asleep until that hit.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
The context for the Roberts hit on Jonsson was Webb running around and jumping at guys all series long.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
Was it? I can't remember, its so long ago

i remember it, the leafs like you said won the next game in new jersey to take a 3-2 series lead, the reason the hit hurt the leafs in the series had nothing to do with new jersey's reaction, it was because (believe it or not) tie domi was actually playing excellent on the first line with sundin providing a great spark especially at the ACC, we could have used him in a tough game 6 loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad