News Article: Director of player development Rob Ramage's take on several of our top prospects (Not Mailloux threa

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was one of the biggest detractors of the pick. I don't think they should have made it and when they did, they should have had a better response planned than what they did because it was an absolute joke.

I was very disappointed in the organization in making the selection and how they handled it; but the kid shouldn't have his career ended because of it - what he did was wrong and I get very mad at people who try to play it off as no big deal, there is a very real victim here and what he did was awful. It's also what happens because male culture and hockey culture is toxic, I've been in dressing rooms and worse stuff absolutely was done but worse things aren't an excuse for bad behavior at any level. Important thing is he learns and becomes a better person for it.

If he turns out to be a shit-head who consistently does this stuff, then yeah, f*** him and his career can end. Like yeah, he's not the f***head that Arizona drafted which was a pattern of behaviour that no one would ever find acceptable, certainly something not buoyed by hockey culture and promoted in dressing rooms across the world, and showed no remorse. Logan does look remorseful so we will see if he actually was and if he wasn't, then see ya later.

I agree with all that. I'm just saying that a crime has to have a time, so to speak. The logic seemed to be that if anything good ever happened to Logan ever again, that would be unacceptable. And I don't think I am exaggerating or unfairly presenting some people's opinions about this. I just don't agree with that specific aspect: the forever debt. There needs to be a price to be paid for transgressions, and once it's paid, that's that. People have to be let back in.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree with all that. I'm just saying that a crime has to have a time, so to speak. The logic seemed to be that if anything good ever happened to Logan ever again, that would be unacceptable. And I don't think I am exaggerating or unfairly presenting some people's opinions about this. I just don't agree with that specific aspect: the forever debt. There needs to be a price to be paid for transgressions, and once it's paid, that's that. People have to be let back in.

Depending on the level of the transgression, of course.. but yes, if he's remorseful and understood what he did that was wrong, then there should be nothing preventing him from moving on.

Like Mitch Miller, that is a case of a clearly deranged human being who did something way worse, over a longer period of time and showed 0 remorse for it and likely never will. f*** that guy.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Compared to traditional baseball scouts who look at butts:

“There is an adage among scouts that the shape of a player’s butt helps project what the prospect will become. Kids with flat butts generally don’t fill out much. Kids with a curved butt will add strength to their frame — what the scouts call good weight.”

“Baseball Prospectus’ prospects maven Kevin Goldstein , by contrast, says he has “seen scouting reports with the actual word rump in them.” “A lot of baseball players tend to have big asses,” Goldstein says. And while this “tends to be a pitcher thing,” the boffo backsides aren’t entirely confined to the mound. “[Albert] Pujols has a tremendous rump, and it serves him well,” he notes.”

What Can You Learn From Staring at a Baseball Player's Butt?

Ah so that's why the Expos ended up getting all those great young players with small butt like Vlad.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Your answer is a clear indication that it was a woke suspension. Mailloux was already convicted in Sweden and suspended in the Swedish league. On top of it, he paid a huge price with all the negative public exposure he got as a consequence. So he already paid a huge price for his stupid mistake made when he was 17. OHL could have suspended him for 10 games, just to make a point, but half a season was excessive. The OHL reacted excessively because of the woke mob pressure. If the goal was to help Mailloux, not to punish him, then it was too much. Again, we talk about a teenager who made a stupid mistake. To put his future as a hockey player in jeopardy with an excessive suspension was not a responsible move by the OHL. Also, punishing him excessively won't do any good to the victim. So, I am not justifying anything, I just try to apply common sense.

It's not a woke suspension. He violated the OHL code of conduct and was suspended justly for it.

We don't need these types of comments here or anywhere else that justify toxic male behavior.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Your answer is a clear indication that it was a woke suspension. Mailloux was already convicted in Sweden and suspended in the Swedish league. On top of it, he paid a huge price with all the negative public exposure he got as a consequence. So he already paid a huge price for his stupid mistake made when he was 17. OHL could have suspended him for 10 games, just to make a point, but half a season was excessive. The OHL reacted excessively because of the woke mob pressure. If the goal was to help Mailloux, not to punish him, then it was too much. Again, we talk about a teenager who made a stupid mistake. To put his future as a hockey player in jeopardy with an excessive suspension was not a responsible move by the OHL. Also, punishing him excessively won't do any good to the victim. So, I am not justifying anything, I just try to apply common sense.

You violate the code of conduct and you're going to get suspended. Putting his career in jeopardy is quite the statement for a suspension that is the length of an injury, and in his case he actually gets to practice with the team not sit on the couch with his leg in a cast.

He earned the suspension and trying to use words like woke mob tells me that you aren't really taking what he did seriously.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

I won't be surprised one bit if Mailloux is included in a trade (as a throw in), by the new management team. He wouldn't be one of 'their' players, and it would quickly end the 'hot potato' situation that Berg and his minions foolishly placed the organization into.

It's funny how all the positive mojo that the Habs Finals run created, evaporated the moment of this selection. Eveything since has been a continual kick in the nuts to the fanbase.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I don't take what he did seriously? I take it for what it is, stupid behavior by a teenager. To go beyond that is implying things we don't know.

Also, I look at the double standard between Mailloux and Carey Price. The journalists did not ask any questions to know what substance is involved in Price substance consumption problem. Was it an illegal drug? We don't know and we won't know. This 34 years old man is seen as a victim, no questions asked, while a 17 years old adolescent is seen as a malicious offender. Don't get me wrong, I wish the best outcome for both. I just point out the differential in treatment. Mailloux was forced to admit publicly what he did, but the law was supposed to protect him as a minor person. In the case of Price, he is protected. One is teenager, the other a grown man. Why this difference? Mailloux was portrayed as a malicious offender, and Price as a victim. Pure woke logic.

He earned the suspension and trying to use words like woke mob tells me that you aren't really taking what he did seriously.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't take what he did seriously? I take it for what it is, stupid behavior by a teenager. To go beyond that is implying things we don't know.

Also, I look at the double standard between Mailloux and Carey Price. The journalists did not ask any questions to know what substance is involved in Price substance consumption problem. Was it an illegal drug? We don't know and we won't know. This 34 years old man is seen as a victim, no questions asked, while a 17 years old adolescent is seen as a malicious offender. Don't get me wrong, I wish the best outcome for both. I just point out the differential in treatment. Mailloux was forced to admit publicly what he did, but the law was supposed to protect him as a minor person. In the case of Price, he is protected. One is teenager, the other a grown man. Why this difference? Mailloux was portrayed as a malicious offender, and Price as a victim. Pure woke logic.

Wait, so you're equating Price having a substance abuse problem which could also have a mental health component attached to it with Mailloux deliberately taking photos of a girl, during a sexual act, without her knowledge, distributing those photos and ensuring people knew her identity?

If you can't see the obvious differences between the two, it has nothing to do with "wokeness" and more the fact that you are unable to differentiate the glaringly obvious differences between the two situations.

In my experience, when people use the term woke, or cancel culture, the issue lies with them and being against people seeing consequences for actions that they themselves or friends/idols have done similar things to.

That's not growth. We've done shitty things. We've been enabled by toxic male culture, our friends, the content we consume. It's okay to admit the things we thought were cool and part of being a man were terrible f***ing things with real consequences to other people.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
See, without knowing anything about what Price really did and why he did it, you imply he had an excuse, mental illness. Even if it's the case, he is an adult surrounded by ressouces to help him and able to get the best help possible. But for Mailloux, you imply malicious motive, when it could only be stupid bragging by a teenager lacking proper judgment.

Reactions: Pickles and Tyson

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
We live in cancel culture, I don't think the organization will want to go through this bad press.

They already went through it though, which is basically my point. The storm has passed.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
You violate the code of conduct and you're going to get suspended. Putting his career in jeopardy is quite the statement for a suspension that is the length of an injury, and in his case he actually gets to practice with the team not sit on the couch with his leg in a cast.

When it comes to woke cancel culture whatever punishment he receives will never be enough. Suspending the kid for a whole season was overkill.

Reactions: dralaf and Tyson

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
When it comes to woke cancel culture whatever punishment he receives will never be enough. Suspending the kid for a whole season was overkill.

Good thing he wasn't and I guess I'm "woke cancel culture" because I think someone who commits a sexual offense should face consequences for their actions.

And I am content with the length of the suspension. The pick never should have been made last draft. That can't be undone and I look forward to seeing how he matures from this.

Reactions: Sagikev and tooji

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Good thing he wasn't and I guess I'm "woke cancel culture" because I think someone who commits a sexual offense should face consequences for their actions.

And I am content with the length of the suspension. The pick never should have been made last draft. That can't be undone and I look forward to seeing how he matures from this.
He's faced criminal charges and was punished under the law.

Tried to make amends to the victim.

Came out before the draft and said he didn't want to be drafted.

Suspended indefinitely from the OHL

For some people that's still not enough. How much more does he need to pay before the woke mob leaves him alone?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He's faced criminal charges and was punished under the law.

Tried to make amends to the victim.

Suspended indefinitely from the OHL

For some people that's still not enough. How much more does he need to pay before the woke mob leaves him alone?

*looks around for the mob of people claiming he should be suspended further*

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
*looks around for the mob of people claiming he should be suspended further*
Now you're being disingenuous. Some people would rather see him traded or not drafted at all. No one claimed he should be suspended further.

It probably wasn't a good idea for the Habs to draft him since he came out and said he didn't want to be drafted but what's done is done. He's a member of the Montreal Canadiens and we should support him

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I won't be surprised one bit if Mailloux is included in a trade (as a throw in), by the new management team. He wouldn't be one of 'their' players, and it would quickly end the 'hot potato' situation that Berg and his minions foolishly placed the organization into.

It's funny how all the positive mojo that the Habs Finals run created, evaporated the moment of this selection. Eveything since has been a continual kick in the nuts to the fanbase.

Not sure it had a big impact on the negative vibe overall. Yes it created a storm but it would already be history if the team would win games. I think losing a bunch of players without replacing them had a bigger impact. Winning makes everything easier.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Also, let's not forget this teenager was outed. Under Swedish law, his name should not have been released, same here in Québec. He was ma minor at the time of the offense. There is areason why we have a justice system for adults and one for minors. So those who outed him made a transgression, and imposed their own system of justice. Here in Québec even the name of a minor convicted of murder cannot be made public, unless a judge decides otherwise. Mailloux came out publicly because his story was known all around the NHL. Again, that does not mean he did not deserve a punishment for his actions, but we have a different justice system for minors and he did not benefit from that. So just that was an added punishment for him. So to suspend him half a season on top of it was a lot. Obviously, if you don't believe in a different justice system for minors, that's another story. Personnally I believe in it because teenagers are lacking maturity and are more enclined to impulsive gestures.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Now you're being disingenuous. Some people would rather see him traded or not drafted at all. No one claimed he should be suspended further.

People would like to see Drouin traded.
People would have liked to see multiple players traded for other reasons including being anti-vaxx, domestic assaults, etc.

You are describing a woke mob so where's this mob? Or is it a gross exaggeration to try to flip Logan into being a victim and forget the actual victim in all of this?

And yes People did not want him drafted. Including Logan himself. So I guess Logan is also a member of the woke mob?

Do you think it unreasonable that people would have preferred to respect the wishes of Logan himself, or preferred to select someone who wasn't recently found out to have performed a sexual offense without a fair amount of time to assess Logans remorse?

You think it's unreasonable that people would have preferred the Canadiens have spoken to the victim prior to making the selection and have done a little bit more due diligence so they were better prepared to handle the selection and detail out a plan?

I don't think any of the above is unreasonable at all.

In the end, Logan committed a sexual offense and got off very easily in Sweden because the team he played on had connections with the local police. He got drafted in the first round and will likely get an ELC and continue to pursue his hockey dream.

Meanwhile his victim got to see that he was selected in the first round, from an organization who cared so little they never contacted her, and had to see many people all over social media downplay what he did to her.

Reactions: ngc_5128

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Why didn’t Molson oppose the pick when Bergevin informed him of his plan to select Mailloux? Molson approved it, knowing fully well that the player did not wish to be drafted (of course, players have no say on who can draft them, but this player’s situation was well known and most teams were wise enough to steer clear).

You’d figure that Geoff would have learned from the player drafted by Arizona and how they ultimately could not justify keeping him.

I realize nothing can be done now but if the right deal comes along, it might best for the org. and the player to move on.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Why didn’t Molson oppose the pick when Bergevin informed him of his plan to select Mailloux? Molson approved it, knowing fully well that the player did not wish to be drafted (of course, players have no say on who can draft them, but this player’s situation was well known and most teams were wise enough to steer clear).

You’d figure that Geoff would have learned from the player drafted by Arizona and how they ultimately could not justify keeping him.

I realize nothing can be done now but if the right deal comes along, it might best for the org. and the player to move on.
Yeah it was definitely a tone deaf decision to draft him especially for this market.

Reactions: Runner77

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Mailloux asked not to be drafted because he feared the woke mob, and by asking that he proved that his judgement is improving.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
People would like to see Drouin traded.
People would have liked to see multiple players traded for other reasons including being anti-vaxx, domestic assaults, etc.

You are describing a woke mob so where's this mob? Or is it a gross exaggeration to try to flip Logan into being a victim and forget the actual victim in all of this?

And yes People did not want him drafted. Including Logan himself. So I guess Logan is also a member of the woke mob?

Do you think it unreasonable that people would have preferred to respect the wishes of Logan himself, or preferred to select someone who wasn't recently found out to have performed a sexual offense without a fair amount of time to assess Logans remorse?

You think it's unreasonable that people would have preferred the Canadiens have spoken to the victim prior to making the selection and have done a little bit more due diligence so they were better prepared to handle the selection and detail out a plan?

I don't think any of the above is unreasonable at all.

In the end, Logan committed a sexual offense and got off very easily in Sweden because the team he played on had connections with the local police. He got drafted in the first round and will likely get an ELC and continue to pursue his hockey dream.

Meanwhile his victim got to see that he was selected in the first round, from an organization who cared so little they never contacted her, and had to see many people all over social media downplay what he did to her.
Nobody is making Logan out to be a victim at all. I'm saying he's paying the price for his stupid irresponsible actions but it's still not enough for some people. It's beating a dead horse at this point. There are just as many people on social media that want to burn this kid at the stake btw.

Reactions: Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
This is correct, also somewhat bizarre that we’re still getting scouting reports on him that are completely devoid of any descriptive qualities in his game. Kind of screams that they didn’t really watch him much pre draft

Guhle: great leader, pro habits, mature game
Harris: getting better with age, very smart with the puck
Mysak: responsible, 200 foot player, wears a letter
Farrell: smart, tenacious, coming into his own in the NCAA already
Mailloux: goes to school, has friends

or MAYBE they just kind of decided to concentrate on the n0n-hockey stuff because uh...he's not playing right now and that non-hockey stuff was KIND of a big deal? Could THAT be it maybe???

Do you really believe that they just made this pick to troll the fan base? The most controversial pick they could've made and they didn't even bother to watch him? Does that make any kind of sense? lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad