Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
JJ Cooper @jjcoop36
Beede, 41 BB in 90.1 IP this year (+ 12 HBP). 55 BB in 94 IP in '13. 13 BB in 14 IP for Team USA last summer.

Keith Law's been talking of makeup problems with Beede lately. He may be in for a precipitous drop.

I think he is going to drop quite a bit.

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 56m
Man, team who takes Tyler Beede in the first round has convinction and guts. Pretty frightening control profile.

Reportedly make-up problems and huge command issues... and having a deep pitching draft is going against him too. Figured Hoffman and Fedde would rocket him up the draft but its going the other way. Hopefully Jays stay far away, we have enough guys that can't throw strikes.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Jays lucked out getting Stroman with the comp pick. What. A. Steal.

If the Jays snag Hoffman at 11 this year, then wow. Well done AA.

I hope he hits big with the 9th pick as well. I think we get hoffman but the updated rankings have him at 8

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Keith Law's been talking of makeup problems with Beede lately. He may be in for a precipitous drop.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw ·1 hr
Beede retired the first 7 batters he faced, but he's now walked 5 of the last 8 Ole Miss hitters

keithlaw @keithlaw · 1h
Beede hits the first two Rebels in the 7th and his day is over. 6 IP, 2 R, 5 BB, 4 K.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I hope he hits big with the 9th pick as well. I think we get hoffman but the updated rankings have him at 8

Stepping into AA's brain I see:

9th - Gordon/Toussaint
11th - Hoffman
49th - Ti'quan Forbes/Jakson Reetz
83rd - Erick Fedde
114th - Dylan Cease
144th - Stone Garrett
174th - Dusty Isaacs/Some senior college arm
204th - 5k guy
234th - 5k guy that will serve in the army/navy
264th - Cobi Johnson
294th - Josh Morgan

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
RE: Beede

I'm not one for schadenfreude... wait who am I kidding.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Stepping into AA's brain I see:

9th - Gordon/Toussaint
11th - Hoffman
49th - Ti'quan Forbes/Jakson Reetz
83rd - Erick Fedde
114th - Dylan Cease
144th - Stone Garrett
174th - Dusty Isaacs/Some senior college arm
204th - 5k guy
234th - 5k guy that will serve in the army/navy
264th - Cobi Johnson
294th - Josh Morgan

I think toussaint is ranked 17th right now. I know I've seen his name mentioned quite a bit. Have we been linked to him? Where are you finding the late rounders. I always have trouble finding anything past the top 100

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think he is going to drop quite a bit.

JJ Cooper ‏@jjcoop36 56m
Man, team who takes Tyler Beede in the first round has convinction and guts. Pretty frightening control profile.

Reportedly make-up problems and huge command issues... and having a deep pitching draft is going against him too. Figured Hoffman and Fedde would rocket him up the draft but its going the other way. Hopefully Jays stay far away, we have enough guys that can't throw strikes.

I get that education is important but..........Beede and his family/agent are idiots! Complete idiots. School and a book education is important, but what's the main reason we all went to school? To get a job we enjoy and to earn money. They left like 2.5 million dollars...2.5 MILLION dollars on the table because that wasn't the price they were looking for and apparently school was was more important. If I or my kid was offered 2.5 million dollars to sign and play pro ball, it would take me literally a second to come up with my answer. With that kind of money you can wait and go to school after you retire. Go and pay your way through school like everybody else. It's not like he wouldn't have the money to do it.

Beede has major control issues, he'll be luckily to go in the first 5 rounds IMO

I'm telling you folks, greed can be a nasty thing. And Beede is going to pay the price for it.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think toussaint is ranked 17th right now. I know I've seen his name mentioned quite a bit. Have we been linked to him? Where are you finding the late rounders. I always have trouble finding anything past the top 100

Toussaint has been linked to the Jays for some time now. HS RHP with a projectable frame and two potential plus-plus pitches in his fastball and curveball as well as a developing change up. His delivery however is inconsistent which leads to control issues.

Nick Gordon is Nick Gordon. Probably won't drop to us but he's the best positional player out of high school. Potential 5 tool player with elite athleticism.

Jeff Hoffman, we know already.

Ti'quan Forbes has been rated as the most athletically gifted player after Monte Harrison. Mississippi native like DJ Davis and Anthony Alford, lots of risk but with his projectability there's a lot to dream on. He's been rated to go around the compensation/2nd round.

Jakson Reetz is a high school catcher with a great line drive swing. Potential plus bat with a plus arm, scouts say he should stick at catcher.

Erick Fedde, potential first rounder but like Hoffman had TJ surgery and will be out his entire senior year. Could possibly drop but it's unlikely he makes it to the 83rd pick.

Dylan Cease has a gun. Highschool pitcher that hits 97 on the radar with okay command. Has raw offspeed stuff but a potential plus curveball. Ranked around 3rd/4th round.

Stone Garrett:

2013 Tournament of Stars Notes from Don Olsen:

A kid I nickname “Graniteâ€. He is built, strong as an ox, and might be the first that I truly think body wise gives off a bit of Bo Jackson. Approach is a bit passive aggressive. Good rotational swing and compact path, good bat head control, drives it to all fields and can square up on velocity. Good inside/out approach, turns on mistakes. Loud contact and ball jumps off the bat. First step burst and ton of fast twitch ability, speed is plus to plus-plus. Good arm strength and carry could compact a bit to improve accuracy. Range and first step cover a great deal of ground, true CF prospect. He is a 5 tool player who is developing power.

Haven't seen him in many big boards and top 100s but he could probably end up entering that 2nd-4th round range.

Dusty Isaacs was a closer and starter in college. Low 90s fastball, decent secondary pitches and command. Just put him up there because he'd probably be a cheap cheap sign that can rise up the system as a bullpen arm.

Cobi Johnson has advanced pitching mechanics and solid offerings (potential plus curveball, average velo FB with good sink) for a HS pitcher. His father is a roving pitching instructor in the Jays system. Likely in the top 100 but if he slips the Jays would probably be the one to pick him up.

Josh Morgan profiles as a SS/3B with his strong arm and good defensive ability. Potential 5 tool player, but other than his arm nothing seems to be excitingly special. Very average, but a potentially good kinda average type player, if you catch my drift. Again, in the top 100, but there's always guys that fall due to signability.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I get that education is important but..........Beede and his family/agent are idiots! Complete idiots. School and a book education is important, but what's the main reason we all went to school? To get a job we enjoy and to earn money. They left like 2.5 million dollars...2.5 MILLION dollars on the table because that wasn't the price they were looking for and apparently school was was more important. If I or my kid was offered 2.5 million dollars to sign and play pro ball, it would take me literally a second to come up with my answer. With that kind of money you can wait and go to school after you retire. Go and pay your way through school like everybody else. It's not like he wouldn't have the money to do it.

Beede has major control issues, he'll be luckily to go in the first 5 rounds IMO

I'm telling you folks, greed can be a nasty thing. And Beede is going to pay the price for it.

It was mind boggling for a number of reasons. I still don't understand why he the turned down 2.5, especially with the slot values coming for the new CBA. Going by this years slots to match that 2.5 hell need to go top 15, which sounds like it's not a sure thing.

I get wanting to go to school and get your degree, but university isn't going anywhere, a 2.5mil signing bonus is

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It was mind boggling for a number of reasons. I still don't understand why he the turned down 2.5, especially with the slot values coming for the new CBA. Going by this years slots to match that 2.5 hell need to go top 15, which sounds like it's not a sure thing.

I get wanting to go to school and get your degree, but university isn't going anywhere, a 2.5mil signing bonus is

Damn right! you hit it the nail on the head. School will always be there for him, but adios!!! to a big time signing bonus. That's out the window. I'm telling you, greed is nasty.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

He may not go high but he won't fall that far

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Damn right! you hit it the nail on the head. School will always be there for him, but adios!!! to a big time signing bonus. That's out the window. I'm telling you, greed is nasty.

I don't think it was so much greed than it was that he had his heart set on going to Vanderbilt, and had set a ridiculous price level ($3.5m) to sway him from fulfilling his commitment. Good for the Jays for not giving in, and it worked out for them, as they signed the better of the two draft picks (Norris) for far less.

As for Beede's control issues, having watched three or four of his starts this year, his control issues stem from his delivery. His shoulder flies open, and causes his fastball (and breaking ball, for that matter) to bleed out off the plate. I'm sure some team will take a flyer and attempt to clean up the problem. I'm confident he'll still go in the mid-teens.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Anyone got a good idea on where Hoffman and Reetz. I know Reetz is projected to be a late 1st/comp pick, but anyone else get the feeling he'll be our off the board pick for this year at 11? I still like Hoffman at 9.

Last edited:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Anyone got a good idea on where Hoffman and Keetz. I know Keetz is projected to be a late 1st/comp pick, but anyone else get the feeling he'll be our off the board pick for this year at 11? I still like Hoffman at 9.

Reetz? He's projected as a 2nd to 3rd round pick. He'd be way off the board at 11. Maybe at 49, but not 11.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis
- Gibbons says Loup is out. Ideally he won't use Janssen and Delabar . Casey told him 'he's good'
- Still no decision for starter for Sat. If today's game is rained out they likely won't need the extra guy yet.
- Still a light mist falling but I've been informed that the plan right now is for the game to still begin at 4ET.

Also as reporters poke and prod, here's a small article on Navvaro's opinion of Samardzija: TSN. Nothing of real importance comes out of it though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Barry Davis ‏@SNBarryDavis
- Gibbons says Loup is out. Ideally he won't use Janssen and Delabar . Casey told him 'he's good'
- Still no decision for starter for Sat. If today's game is rained out they likely won't need the extra guy yet.
- Still a light mist falling but I've been informed that the plan right now is for the game to still begin at 4ET.

Also as reporters poke and prod, here's a small article on Navvaro's opinion of Samardzija: TSN

As in just not available or an injury?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Ah. Got it. I'm still thinking of 9 and 11. I think we'll pick Hoffman with one of them. Who will we pick with the other pick though? That's what I'm wondering.

Hoffman, if picked by the Jays, I'd assume will be at 11. The Mets apparently want a college bat, so there's no worry on passing on him at 9 and having them take him at ten.

As for the ninth pick, I'd say the likeliest picks are:
- Nick Gordon (if he falls)
- Aaron Nola (if he falls)
- Touki Toussaint
- Grant Holmes
- Sean Reid-Foley
- Monte Harrison (This is the darkhorse reach, imo)
- Another college pitcher, though I find it unlikely (Finnegan, Fedde, Freeland)

Of course, if Alex Jackson somehow (please God) falls to nine, he's the no brainer. Likelihood of that is even lower than Gordon. As for the young men bolded, they are classic AA front office picks. The projectable flame-throwing high school arm, and the two sport athletic freak that is raw but has 5 tool potential.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009

I said the same thing about Bickford on here. Unless either of them come from a really rich family, you don't turn down millions of dollars.

You can basically live off $2.5 million for the rest of your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad