Blue Jays Discussion: Dioner Navarro: The Anti-JP continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A sweep here would be big, just drive the Sox deeper into the hole. We have to start putting our foot down on the throats of our AL east rivals. Don't take a game off against these guys, yeah we've already won the series but a sweep would be so sweet.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Heading into this series, I thought winning at 2 or sweeping the series could mean there is some legitimacy to this team and its chances this year. Losing 2 or getting swept would have made it seem like the same old, same old.

They already got the 2; it'd be nice if they finish them off and sweep them. Just how the team has conducted itself lately is suggesting things may indeed be different this year. Here's hoping, as things are wide open and ripe for the picking.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
This is to Swervin81 who said that the Jays aren't one piece away.

We may not be 1 piece away but we also haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. i'd like to see some playoff baseball in my lifetime. If they go out and spend some high end prospects for Shark then I'm all for it. If we're in a playoff spot by the deadline, AA has to go for it. He has to add another starter, he can't be scared to spend the prospects. The opportunity for the playoffs can't be ignored just because you're really high on a Sanchez or Norris.

A possible rotation of: Shark, Buehrle, Dickey, Hutch, Happ (Morrow if he returns) is pretty damn good.

It's still really early but we have a 46.5% chance of making the playoffs right now according to ESPN, we're actually ahead of the Yankees and Baltimore in percentage points right now.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/sort/playoffPercent/order/true

I said 2 starters because I've still got reservations about Happ and especially Morrow. I don't entirely disagree with you. I'm just saying that it's early, one losing streak can send us free falling right out of contention. If Happ keeps up what he's doing now or Morrow returns to 2012 form, then I'd gladly give up some quality farm assets for a bonafide #1 like Shark. We already have restored the farm system to what will be top 10 after this coming draft in just a year and a half after gutting it. I don't doubt us being able to do the same if we gutted it for top end starters. I'm not opposed to start betting aggressively or even going all in, especially if we are at the top by deadline day, but I just have reservations. As everyone knows, I'm a pessimist and cynic, so I always think about worst case scenario and I'm probably going too deep into this. Second nature of being a Leafs fan, I suppose :laugh:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I said 2 starters because I've still got reservations about Happ and especially Morrow. I don't entirely disagree with you. I'm just saying that it's early, one losing streak can send us free falling right out of contention. If Happ keeps up what he's doing now or Morrow returns to 2012 form, then I'd gladly give up some quality farm assets for a bonafide #1 like Shark. We already have restored the farm system to what will be top 10 after this coming draft in just a year and a half after gutting it. I don't doubt us being able to do the same if we gutted it for top end starters. I'm not opposed to start betting aggressively or even going all in, especially if we are at the top by deadline day, but I just have reservations. As everyone knows, I'm a pessimist and cynic, so I always think about worst case scenario and I'm probably going too deep into this. Second nature of being a Leafs fan, I suppose :laugh:

nah I'm the same, it's why I wasn't too optimistic about this team heading into the season. The sports teams in this city keep building up the fans but never deliver so this season I was like I'm just going to let all the hype go right by me and not take anything in until I actually see what this team is going to do. We got off to a rough start and obviously I kind of chuckled because just like last year this team wasn't playing up to expectations, until the last 2-3 weeks where we're really starting to see this team come together. I still have my own reservations, but at the same time I'm not going to ignore how good this team has been lately. They have to continue it though. I want this team to take some risks at the deadline if we're in it. Don't sit back and be spectators, it's ok to be more than just good. Be great, get better become a contender, at least try and become one. So we blow the farm for one year...big whoop we'll replenish the system in June at the draft. People get so worked up about the farm, but every year there is a draft. There's new kids every year. If Shark is available go for him, go get him. Improve the big club.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Have a bet with my buddy, I said if the Jays sweep Boston here, Jays make the playoffs, he thinks they won't. I think they're finally coming around and playing to their potential. Its like people forget that two offseasons ago, everyone was ready to hand us the world series. Then one bad season and were perceived as awful. I think it's just taken some time for them to grow as a team.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Have a bet with my buddy, I said if the Jays sweep Boston here, Jays make the playoffs, he thinks they won't. I think they're finally coming around and playing to their potential. Its like people forget that two offseasons ago, everyone was ready to hand us the world series. Then one bad season and were perceived as awful. I think it's just taken some time for them to grow as a team.

it wasn't just having one bad season, we missed the mark completely on what was expected of this team. Yes we were overhyped but damn we couldn't even reach 80 freakin wins. People had every right to rip this team apart. We just have to continue this, be consistent no long losing streaks. If we lose a series come back and win the next, don't let it snowball. We're right there at the top, run with it.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Extra Hot Edwings

Sticky and continue - Last one hit 1000 posts.

62301181.jpg

Last edited:

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sorry Nem/mods. Didn't see this thread originally. The lack of bluejays discussion tag fooled me. Do what you will.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm a little confused about how this thread came into being. It's a merger of Everlong's thread made because the last discussion one hit 100 posts. but it also pulled posts from the GDT which is only at 172 posts right now and took the 1st post out of the last discussion thread and kept the same title for some reason. Does this mean we're going back to the mono-thread approach? Or should the GDT still be ready to go for the game tonight?

meanwhile, back on track: interesting piece about Edwin and his screwy route from being DFA'd to being one of the most dangerous hitters in baseball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/47518/edwin-encarnacion-one-of-baseballs-best

(and then you get down into the stupid comments full of "roids!!!" accusations, but we'll just ignore those :laugh:)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's the ESPN comments section. The same one that was accusing the NBA of righing the Nets-Raps series because of Drake. Yeah, I mean, that Jay Z guy is totally not even that popular, nowhere near Drake :facepalm:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
JJ Cooper @jjcoop36
Beede, 41 BB in 90.1 IP this year (+ 12 HBP). 55 BB in 94 IP in '13. 13 BB in 14 IP for Team USA last summer.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The issue was never whether anyone saw this coming. The issue was always that Gomes looked decent when he caught, but the team decided that they wouldn't try it because they had Arencibia and D'Arnaud. Because they didn't try it, Toronto didn't know what they had.

It's not like Gomes is an all-star. The guy has nine errors this season. Yeah, he's better than he seemed at the time, but that's baseball. It could have easily turned out the other way, given Rogers' arm. There are better moves to complain about than Gomes deal; every GM has multiple trades like this that don't quite work out.

As for the Gose replacing Rasmus talk, it's WAY too premature. I think it's best to keep him on in a Rajai Davis-type role when Colby returns and see how he does. Doesn't seem like he's benefiting from spending more time in the minors, so let's see what we've got in him to make a better decision regarding Rasmus in the off-season.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
JJ Cooper @jjcoop36
Beede, 41 BB in 90.1 IP this year (+ 12 HBP). 55 BB in 94 IP in '13. 13 BB in 14 IP for Team USA last summer.

Keith Law's been talking of makeup problems with Beede lately. He may be in for a precipitous drop.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
JJ Cooper @jjcoop36

which is why i hope we stay away if he drops.

Nola shot up to 5 in the updated rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad