Dion Phaneuf vs Ryan Suter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phaneuf*

Hey guys I've been browsing these boards for ages and finally signed up and I've seen some of the vs topics. You all seem to know your hockey so I'd like to see your views on these players and who you think is better.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I'm not as high as some people on Phaneuf. He will play in the NHL for sure but I don't think he will become the star that everybody see in him. He will become a #3 D who will be awesome on the first PK unit and will be O.K. on the second PP unit. His presence on the Flames will be very appreciated by the coach.

For Suter, well, he's a good one for sure. He will become the #1-2 of the Preds blueline. He will exel on the PP and will be very good on the PK. He will be a star in the NHL. His overall impact will be better then Phaneuf but he will not be able to change a game with a bone crushing hit like Dion.

That was just my opinion but I'm pretty sure that the Trashers will regret their Coburn choice because Phaneuf will be better than him...

bruins4777*

I'm very high on suter. I think suter will play somewhat of a more quite game than phaneuf, but it will still be great. Suter will dominate offensively with smooth moves and somewhat in the way that nick lidstrom does. However, i think that will only be the one part of his game. On the other side, when he's into it, I feel like suter is one of those guys that will completely take over a game with his brain, skill, and just an all around package. He'll never be the hitter phaneuf is, but few will be. I think his overall impact will be better than phaneuf. Franchise dman is what i see suter.

Phaneuf i see as a great physical presence, but I'm not sure completely, i haven't seen him as much as suter and the one thing i'm always impressed by is his hitting and shot, however outside of that the rest of his game seems average or slightly above. I think phaneuf will be somewhat like pronger when he arrives, he will struggle a great deal always going for the big hit and making mistakes and phaneuf will be somewhat of a loose cannon. Thereafter it will be up to phaneuf to see whether he can take his game to the next level and use his offense properly, or go on trying to randomly hit. I see phaneuf as a eddie jovonavski type, brilliant at times scary at others.

Coburn, sadly, is turning into the next ryan whitney. However i'm hoping coburn can prove me wrong. Being a thrashers fan i'm hoping coburn can reverse his play and step it up. I think hartley will be a GREAT influence on him.

side note, i think if hartley was phaneuf's coach, his development would rocket. Hartley is the kind of coach who is great at molding players. Look at what he did for exelby. He use to be a loose cannon who just hit and fought, but now he can control himself much, better, positions himself better, etc. While he has lots of room to improve ex has improved VASTLY under hartley...as you can tell i'm a big hartley fan. :P

also as another note, i'm a preds fan so that might impact my bias...i tried to be as impartial as possible, and this is what i honeslty feel. But i'll reiterate i haven't seen phaneuf nearly as much as suter. I personally think suter's development is ahead of phaneuf, suter struggled at first in the AHL, but has now become quite established in the AHL, whereas phaneuf is still toiling in the WHL.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Phaneuf said:
Hey guys I've been browsing these boards for ages and finally signed up and I've seen some of the vs topics. You all seem to know your hockey so I'd like to see your views on these players and who you think is better.

(wondering who this poster is going to pick)^ :dunno:

I'll take Suter. I think he has a better all around game.

Go Flames Go*

By watching the World Juniours Dion Phanuef is the best Defence prospect right now. He has bone crushing hits, he makes a good first pass out the zone, he has a rifle for a shot, and he skates well. Ryan Suter is a good player also he is a very good skater but he kept getting trapped in the offensive zone in the game I watched. They will both be good but Phanuef is a franchise player.

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
I'd take Dion over Suter. He really seems to be the complete package. I think I've seen him make just one mistake in 5 games, plus he has a mean streak (not as mean as Weber though....). He reminds me of Pronger.

Suter reminds me of Suter. His dad was super-skilled, but less dominant in his own zone. Ryan seems to cheap-shot less than Gary at least.

Both will be NHLers allstars for the next 15 years.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
At this stage...DP by a long shot...

Will Suter turn out to be better? Maybe... -my crystal ball is out of order right now though.

Vic Rattlehead*

After watching the juniors, Phaneuf has really impressed a lot of people. I would take Phaneuf over Suter.

espo*

phaneuf has outplayed him at this tourney by quite a margin but overall i think it's about even and Phaneuf has been playing with a better team.Suter's fellow defensemen and team are not as good at Canada's at this tourney so i would'nt make any rash predictions on who is definately better yet.....the nhl will decide that....if they ever play again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mpdman said:
I'd take Dion over Suter. He really seems to be the complete package. I think I've seen him make just one mistake in 5 games, plus he has a mean streak (not as mean as Weber though....). He reminds me of Pronger.

Suter reminds me of Suter. His dad was super-skilled, but less dominant in his own zone. Ryan seems to cheap-shot less than Gary at least.

Both will be NHLers allstars for the next 15 years.

Gary is his uncle. Bob is his dad.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Phaneuf is going to be a number 1 D-man in the NHL one day. I'll take him over Sutter anyday...im really happy for Calgary. They're my second favorite team behind my ONE AND ONLY MAPLE LEAFS !!! :yo:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
As of right now Phaneuf is better, and has more potential than Suter.
Suter is a great prospect and is going to be one hell of a player in the NHL if he reaches his potential but Phaneuf is ona different level at the moment and if both players reach there potential.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I'd take Phaneuf, but feel that Suter is underrated. I don't think he is as far behind Phaneuf as many suggest, and I say that believing (as do many) that Phaneuf is one of the top NHL prospects at present.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I don't think either will make it as a dominating number one defenseman but both will fall into the category of default number one defenseman every team has. I see both as potential number two defensemen but if I got to choose which one I'd have on my team, I'd prolly go with Suter just because I've liked him for awhile now (Phaneuf is just as good if not better though).

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Drake1588 said:
but feel that Suter is underrated.

Underrated?! As of a few days ago, he was topping almost every prospect lists at the defenseman position.

It's not enough that people have been misguided enough to fall in love with that dude and proclaim him king of all D prospects, now you'd like me to believe he's underrated? :lol

When will Suter cease to be underrated exactly? When he sits as the #1 overall prospect?

For the last few months, Suter has received far more props than he deserves. He's overrated, not underrated.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
VLAD: I'll second that motion. I'm not as high on Phaneuf as some are but there is no question he is the better of the two at this stage of their careers. Who'll turn out better in the NHL? Time will tell. I still don't believe that Phaneuf has as much offensive upside as Suter but we'll see about that.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I haven't seen many pubs that have him above Phaneuf, though that could very well be an oversight on my part. I've seen Phaneuf rated consistently above him (with which I agree), sometimes by a considerable gap. It is this gap that I find exaggerated. Perhaps the feeling that Suter is underrated on my part is confined merely to opinions expressed on HFboards. I'm not saying that this place is the last word on prospects either, merely the site to which I refer for general fan opinions on players. Here, anyway, most seem to hail Phaneuf far more than Suter.

Phaneuf is in my opinion the clear-cut top NHL prospect on defense, but I would place Suter alone at #2.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Underrated?! As of a few days ago, he was topping almost every prospect lists at the defenseman position.

It's not enough that people have been misguided enough to fall in love with that dude and proclaim him king of all D prospects, now you'd like me to believe he's underrated? :lol

When will Suter cease to be underrated exactly? When he sits as the #1 overall prospect?

For the last few months, Suter has received far more props than he deserves. He's overrated, not underrated.

To add to this, Suter seems to get a free pass when he is called the best defense prospect. My biggest beef with Suter fans is that all they seem to do to say Suter is the best d-prospect, is to try and belittle all the accomplishments Phaneuf has done as to why he shouldn't be called the best prospect.

In all these debates, Phaneuf is the only one who seems to get talked about, rarely have I seen reasons why Suter is better than Phaneuf, its always about why Phaneuf isn't as good as people want to think.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I think there are three or four diehard Preds fans on HFboards who flog the heck out of Suter, but pretty much everyone else, myself included, would tend to prefer Phaneuf. Suter is very, very good, but Phaneuf is the better prospect and not too many people would argue that point.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Drake1588 said:
I think there are three or four diehard Preds fans on HFboards who flog the heck out of Suter, but pretty much everyone else, myself included, would tend to prefer Phaneuf. Suter is very, very good, but Phaneuf is the better prospect and not too many people would argue that point.

I don't think that's necessarily true...I just point out a few things that really can't be denied.

Most of all...Exposure.

Phaneuf's in a bit more of a high-profile role. Playing defense on the Canadian national team...making "the hit" on Olesz last year...it's kind of hard to miss him.

Suter played...in the last WJC(2003-2004) just as big of a tournament...but in a more understated way...and that..in my opinion..is the difference between the two. Phaneuf is the more glitzy of the two...while Suter gets the job done in a more quiet way. I've been a part of countless debates..and regardless of what some say(Vlad, I'm looking at you, buddy ;) ) I think the two are about dead even. People ripped Suter this past tourney over a bad pass...but Phaneuf's shaky play against Slovakia(one play leading directly to a Slovakian goal) was quickly forgiven. Both defensemen rebounded. Suter had a poor plus minus..but if you go back and look at each of the goals scored while he was on the ice(and anyone else that watched the games under the microscope i did can back me up on this, ) it was never Suter's man that scored the goal, rather...it was the fact that he was paired with the absolutely ABYSMAL Jeff Likens, who couldn't cover his man to save his life. Game after game...Suter did the best he could...with what he had. He's often mistakingly looked at as JUST as an offensive d-man, but his defensive game is just as good, in my opinion. Offensively...his reputation speaks for itself, and I think that's where his advantages over Phaneuf come through...passing, vision, skating...and a general "playmaking brain." Phaneuf's advantages are clear as well...hitting, physical play, and I think he has a better SHOT than Suter.

Overall, most of the people that argue over this aren't even really Preds\Flames fans. Most of us have called a truce...agreed on a mutual admiration of each other's stud d-man prospect...and decided to call it pretty much equal..with no team being able to lose on what they had. I beat this to death..but the two remind me of Rob Blake(Suter) and Scott Stevens(Dion Phaneuf.) Both were elite d-men...as I expect both of these prospects to be...and depending on what your average hockey fan's team needs...each fan is bound to prefer one over the other...but I maintain that they are intrinsically equal...and if one is better than the other...it's not "by far" as some suggest. Anyone that says that..either for Suter or Phaneuf...probably hasn't seen enough of the other.

AgentNaslund*

Phaneuf in a heartbeat. What has Suter done in this tournament? Phaneuf is making the type of impact, that no other defencemen at the world tourny's has done before. hes a hitting machine. A terminator. Suter is the typical, "hes got size, can skate, can move the puck around very well," type of defencemen. Yeah alot of defencemens are like that. Phaneuf over Suter. Infact, I will even take Seabrook over him.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
AgentNaslund said:
Phaneuf in a heartbeat. What has Suter done in this tournament? Phaneuf is making the type of impact, that no other defencemen at the world tourny's has done before. hes a hitting machine. A terminator. Suter is the typical, "hes got size, can skate, can move the puck around very well," type of defencemen. Yeah alot of defencemens are like that. Phaneuf over Suter. Infact, I will even take Seabrook over him.

What has Suter done?

Uh...leads the tournament in points by a defenseman? And SEABROOK over Suter?

Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad