News Article: Dion Phaneuf retires, to be honoured by Maple Leafs

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I was never much of a Phaneuf fan. Thought he was overrated right from his rookie season and it carried on through most of his career. Wasn't sad to see him moved.
That said he was our captain so that in itself is worthy of recognition.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Looks like some snowflakes still cant get over "salute gate" which was totally blown way out of proportion. I'd get annoyed too with jerseys and waffles raining down on me and the absurd hate alot of those player received. Not easy being a leaf in terms of fan and media scrutiny and certainly not easy being a captain. Fact of the matter he always handled himself with pure class and was always front and center to answer the hard questions. Wish him the best.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
I didn't care for him but it's hard to blame the guy for cashing the big paychecks...

Maybe rage on the morons that gave him that bad contract?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dion didn't build those awful Burke/Nonis teams. He was also always front and centre at the camera ready to take the heat when the team wants doing well.

I'm happy the team is doing this for him
Wouldn't mind bringing him back into team support role of some sort. Maybe scout or something. Seems like based on him touring 2 years ago and today's comments he is interested.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Wouldn't mind bringing him back into team support role of some sort. Maybe scout or something. Seems like based on him touring 2 years ago and today's comments he is interested.
His new role should be something along the line with fans interaction

Reactions: TMLife17

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Looks like some snowflakes still cant get over "salute gate" which was totally blown way out of proportion. I'd get annoyed too with jerseys and waffles raining down on me and the absurd hate alot of those player received. Not easy being a leaf in terms of fan and media scrutiny and certainly not easy being a captain. Fact of the matter he always handled himself with pure class and was always front and center to answer the hard questions. Wish him the best.
Respect your opinion but I disagree. If anything the player leadership were acting like snowflakes. They make millions to play a game and are only able to do that because of fan support.

Yeah, Toronto can be a tough place to play. Lots of criticism. The fans care. Saluting the fans is such a minor and easy thing to do. Screams entitled to me. I'm glad all of those players have since been moved.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Respect your opinion but I disagree. If anything the player leadership were acting like snowflakes. They make millions to play a game and are only able to do that because of fan support.

Yeah, Toronto can be a tough place to play. Lots of criticism. The fans care. Saluting the fans is such a minor and easy thing to do. Screams entitled to me. I'm glad all of those players have since been moved.
And guys like Kessel, Bozak and Phaneuf all had success afterwards. That tells me they weren't the main problem.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I will wear my Phaneuf jersey tonight then. He did the best he could with what he had and shielded the rest of the team and franchise from most of the criticism. His clean hitting ability has been missed.
The amount of crap he received was something for sure. He's always been very pleasant in person for sure. Will wish always nothing but the best.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Are Burke & Nonis being honoured ? No.

Phaneuf was part of the failure. They had to give him away to Ottawa plus let's not forget Salute Gate, the fans did not exactly get much respect from him.

Salute gate was a bunch of dumb nonsense the media stoked into a huge outrage. Us vs the world is a pretty tried and tested motivation technique but people lost their damn minds.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He was overpaid and shouldn't have been captain while here. Doesn't mean he didn't try his best and wasn't a solid #2-3 defenceman. I appreciated that he worked hard on a team where 90% of the players didn't.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
it's nobodies fault except for the people involved, right ?

For a poster who's so obsessed about the role of the current GM that you made a negative photo about him into your profile picture. You sure do seem to want to blame the players for the past GM's choices.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
And guys like Kessel, Bozak and Phaneuf all had success afterwards. That tells me they weren't the main problem.
They had success in support roles under well established leadership. I agree it was management's fault at the time for putting them in a leadership role. They aren't bad players and I'm happy to see them go on to succeed but salute gate showed they weren't cut out to lead a Toronto team. They had to go. JMO

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Had a rare opportunity to spend some one on one time with Dion in the dressing room after beating the Bruins 5 to 1 on a HNIC game. Really awesome guy to talk to away from the cameras. Good luck Dion.

leafs5 (1).jpg

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Absolutely. They were just misused.

Kessel wasn't a #1 winger. When he was used on the second line in Pittsburg, he was fine.

Bozak wasn't a #1 center, but was quite good in St Louis as a second or third.

Phaneuf wasn't a #1 defenceman, but was fine as a second.

Burke misjudged Kessel and Phaneuf, overpaid for them, and left us with no option but to misuse them. Bozak he get real lucky on.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I remember his mid season contract extension.

I lost it.

Certainly a big piece of the Franchise history

Enjoy retirement Dion

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Hated Salute Gate. That said -> Always liked Dion. Under his leadership Leafs finally saw a playoff round after almost a decade. yea i know Game 7 was a nightmare

Wish him well !

Thanks for the memories. Double Dion!!! :yo:

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton

I think i will place more value on the actual hard work Dion did throughout his career when it comes to him winning humanitarian awards, work with sick kids, under the radar charitable work etc. Waving your stick in the air for 3 seconds at the end of some random game holds literally zero value and it was all just a bunch of manufactured outrage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad