News Article: Dion Phaneuf retires, to be honoured by Maple Leafs

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Enjoy the Girl next door roleplay every night my dude.

Will never forget how you changed the course of a franchise, with just one click of the radio dial ;)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Deserves his due as the former captain. Unfortunate that the team success just wasn't there to much of a degree.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
He was bought out by the LA Kings in 2019.
I believe they still pay the remaining portion until 2023. Both LA and Ottawa have buyout money in him.
Not anymore. After players retire they forfeit whatever is left owing to them. Unless the last contract they signed was signed after they turned 35. 35+ contracts are paid out fully. He's giving up about 1 million retiring now.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'm glad this is being done. It's not like his number is being retired or anything. Nice gesture overall and is deserved having been captain for as long as he was.

Reactions: saffronleaf

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
of Burke and Nonis

Are Burke & Nonis being honoured ? No.

Phaneuf was part of the failure. They had to give him away to Ottawa plus let's not forget Salute Gate, the fans did not exactly get much respect from him.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Beat of luck to Dion. Will always maintain he and Kessel got way too much hate here. It's not their fault the management group was completely garbage and built a team around them. They are great support pieces.

yup, and it's no surprise that many of those pieces went on to achieve great things, like kessel and bozak. even dion had a great memorable run with the sens.

Reactions: stickty111

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Team failure is not on Dion b/c he didn't build the team, he just played and the team sucked.

Wasn't he the Capt during the salute gate incident?
How can you honor someone who disrespect the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad