News Article: Dion Phaneuf plays against toughest competition

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
My bad on the 38.8, 38.5, still does not change the fact his ATOI was considerably more in the Def/Neutral zone.

That's not a fact. There is no measure of how much time each of Gunnar and Phaneuf played in the defensive zone. The best you could do is try to estimate from shift lengths and zone starts/ends, but nobody has done that that I know of. I already made this clear in the post you quoted so I don't know why you insist on bringing this up again.

So Dion takes a lot of penalties..whooptee freaking doo... if he's as bad as all you haters are trying to paint him, its a good thing he's off the ice right?

I'm responding to your constant attempts to misrepresent his bad advanced stats as good. I accept the premise that Dion gets some of the toughest minutes in the league. I do not accept the notion that he's doing well with them. That is just nonsense and not supported by the data, which I've presented numerous times here and which you haven't had any sensible rebuttal for.

I don't know how you could possibly argue that taking penalties is a good thing, or that it's irrelevant. Phaneuf is probably still the best overall defenseman on the team, but that doesn't mean he's great or elite. Regardless, whenever he takes a penalty, he's forcing defensemen 2-5 to take the PK shift. Worse, if he's taking penalties with Gunnar on the ice towards the end of a shift, the 2nd PK pair has to come on first, and then likely a tired Gunnar plus whoever's left from the 3rd pairing to mop up. This could be part of the reason why the Leafs' PK struggled, though I don't have data to show it.

One thing is for sure you guys will never believe that Dion is a great defender till someone in the media tells you he is.

... or until he proves it.

Mar 26, 2010
Phaneuf is the worst Captain in the history of the franchise and he is the #1 problem for the Leafs. He is not even close to a #1 D in the NHL.

He has to go! That needs to be Shanny's #1 Priority.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
All very fine and dandy but that post was in a thread of posts where someone erroneously claimed he had the worst in the league. Not just compared to the other ones on the team.

You asked for the even strength comparison and when I posted it and it shows just how much better Gunnar was over Dion you post the above as your response. Do not ask for something if you are not prepared to see the results. There is no comparison between Gunnar and Dion when looking at the numbers Gunnar wad superior and that is a fact!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You asked for the even strength comparison and when I posted it and it shows just how much better Gunnar was over Dion you post the above as your response. Do not ask for something if you are not prepared to see the results. There is no comparison between Gunnar and Dion when looking at the numbers Gunnar was superior and that is a fact!
I also admitted I made a mistake.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
1) So I've posted these stats MULTIPLE times, just click through this thread and you'll ignore them again.

2) See point #1...

You have not posted anything to support that Dion was a great D man..Like I said he is not even the best D man on the Leafs.

You have never posted that Dion was the best D man in the League producing points while playing against the top players in the league. He simply was not!

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Anyone think the Sharks would be open to a deal involving Joe Thornton and Dion Phaneuf? The need a shake-up, and they also have plenty of centres and a need for another top-4 defenseman.

torlev*

You asked for the even strength comparison and when I posted it and it shows just how much better Gunnar was over Dion you post the above as your response. Do not ask for something if you are not prepared to see the results. There is no comparison between Gunnar and Dion when looking at the numbers Gunnar wad superior and that is a fact!

You're not following. I was never a part of any conversion involving Phaneuf and Gunnarson. I responded to a post that claimed he had the most goals against in the league. I corrected that post, say I g that was in fact Erik Karlsson by a wide margin. Someone claimed it was because if ice time. That's not the case.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Anyone think the Sharks would be open to a deal involving Joe Thornton and Dion Phaneuf? The need a shake-up, and they also have plenty of centres and a need for another top-4 defenseman.

Both players have NMCs so unless they simultaneously throw hissy fits and demand to leave, this has no chance of happening.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Both players have NMCs so unless they simultaneously throw hissy fits and demand to leave, this has no chance of happening.

Nonis bargained hard to extract a limited NTC clause out of Phaneuf as he gave the farm away in his latest contract. So as they say "you mean there is a chance". Also he has no trade restrictions before July 1. I have no faith in Nonis and Shanny has shown nothing so far, thus likely we are stuck with Phaneuf for the next 7 years. Think about that...Phaneuf on the blueline for another 7 years!

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Nonis bargained hard to extract a limited NTC clause out of Phaneuf as he gave the farm away in his latest contract. So as they say "you mean there is a chance". Also he has no trade restrictions before July 1. I have no faith in Nonis and Shanny has shown nothing so far, thus likely we are stuck with Phaneuf for the next 7 years. Think about that...Phaneuf on the blueline for another 7 years!

I couldn't find any sources on what exactly Phaneuf's NTC/NMC contains. Capgeek has no info.

I thought the CBA specifically prohibited trading players with NTCs in their extensions before the extension kicks in, after the Jeff Carter fiasco.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Each season he needs to provide a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. No idea on the number of team, but it's reported to be more than 10.

Dreger mentioned that he has "no protection until the kicks in".

Dreger had a few tweets with this info the day of the signing.

Tyler Biggs*

Phaneuf is a top pairing guy. The team just needs another defensive anchor type of guy to play duke of those shutdown minutes. Subban doesn't even play the PP AND PK minutes constantly.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Phaneuf is a top pairing guy. The team just needs another defensive anchor type of guy to play duke of those shutdown minutes. Subban doesn't even play the PP AND PK minutes constantly.

With the dynamic duo of Nonis and Carlyle in charge, Phaneuf is going nowhere.....sigh!

Kief Richards

Nov 19, 2009
Keene, Ontario
I am not a big fan of Peeon Fagoof, but it may get ugly when Leaf Nation boos him on a regular basis next season. He seems to be the heir apparent to take over for "Fire Wilson". It may not be fair, but I think if the team struggles, he will hear it!

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Its always Phanuefs fault and it is dumb. Oh Gardiner and franson just sucked and allowed 2 goals. But phanuef makes 1 mistake and its his fault we lost. Our whole team sucked.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You have not posted anything to support that Dion was a great D man..Like I said he is not even the best D man on the Leafs.

You have never posted that Dion was the best D man in the League producing points while playing against the top players in the league. He simply was not!

Dude I tried to show you multiple times but clearly you lack the capacity (or will) to disseminate information in an unbiased fashion...ignorance is bliss right?

Truthfully I really don't care what you think. You can believe the earth is flat too, that is your call. Cheers.

Mar 26, 2010

Strongly disagree.

Phaneuf is a #3-4 guy. He is worth maybe $3M/season.

IF the the Leafs don't trade him before that bloated 7 year contract kicks in, the team will NOT make the playoffs for that 7 years. Book it. No team lead by Phaneuf will succeed.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Strongly disagree.

Phaneuf is a #3-4 guy. He is worth maybe $3M/season.

IF the the Leafs don't trade him before that bloated 7 year contract kicks in, the team will NOT make the playoffs for that 7 years. Book it. No team lead by Phaneuf will succeed.

i still can't believe Nonis gave him and Clarkson 85 million bucks. Just mind numbing.

Tyler Biggs*

The numbers show he constantly plays against some of the biggest match-ups in basically all situations. I say cut down some of the defensive grinds by swapping Franson with a more defensive guy to get another pairing going, say, and all of the sudden it doesn't look so bad.

No one on the team is as bad as this past stretch has made them look.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
The numbers show he constantly plays against some of the biggest match-ups in basically all situations. I say cut down some of the defensive grinds by swapping Franson with a more defensive guy to get another pairing going, say, and all of the sudden it doesn't look so bad.

No one on the team is as bad as this past stretch has made them look.

But we will still have to pay him $7m per year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad