Dion Phaneuf. | Part ?? | "There is definitely interest" - Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
light years better.
One leads his team, the other drags his team down...
Dion can not even out score Franson and Weber has out scored his whole team the past two years.....the difference is vast....and should not be compared in any way other then they both play the same position and sport.

All the stats show a difference that is clear, but certainly not vast. All the stats say that when Dion is on the ice, we are a better team.

Franson has been top 10 in D-men scoring. To not outscore him is no shame.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
All the stats show a difference that is clear, but certainly not vast. All the stats say that when Dion is on the ice, we are a better team.

Franson has been top 10 in D-men scoring. To not outscore him is no shame.

Let's see what he does in March/April. If his play is holding well at that time, then I will be back in his corner. It's all about show me what you can do at crunch time. That's how great players are judged. Can he lead this team into the playoffs? Or will he wilt under the pressure once again? People keep falling for it. He was playing well last year at this time too. How did he finish? Come on.

Last edited:

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Let's see what he does in March/April. If his play is holding well at that time, then I will be back in his corner. It's all about show me what you can do at crunch time. That's how great players are judged. Can he lead this team into the playoffs? Or will he wilt under the pressure once again? People keep falling for it. He was playing well last year at this time too. How did he finish? Come on.

Phaneuf screwing up in the Springtime is becoming like a ritual. Yes, let's wait and see if he deviates from the mode this time around.

Oct 18, 2010
light years better.
One leads his team, the other drags his team down...
Dion can not even out score Franson and Weber has out scored his whole team the past two years.....the difference is vast....and should not be compared in any way other then they both play the same position and sport.

does weber attend dinners to your liking?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Oh for sure. For me it's never about being in ones corner or not though, it's about being as objective and accurate as possible. Dion has been good so far this season and before. There are issues though, like the one you mention, that makes me strongly doubt that he can be our #1 D-man if we are going places.

I've been a backer of Gardiner, but there's no denying that he's been awful so far this season with few signs of turning it around. I couldn't stand Franson coming into the season, but I also can't deny that he's been doing much better than I expected on that top pairing. I still like Gardiner and dislike Franson, but I try to not let that color my posts. It's the same thing with Dion, plenty of people here have a tendency to see no wrong in their favorites and see no good in their scapegoats though.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Oh for sure. For me it's never about being in ones corner or not though, it's about being as objective and accurate as possible. Dion has been good so far this season and before. There are issues though, like the one you mention, that makes me strongly doubt that he can be our #1 D-man if we are going places.

I've been a backer of Gardiner, but there's no denying that he's been awful so far this season with few signs of turning it around. I couldn't stand Franson coming into the season, but I also can't deny that he's been doing much better than I expected on that top pairing. I still like Gardiner and dislike Franson, but I try to not let that color my posts. It's the same thing with Dion, plenty of people here have a tendency to see no wrong in their favorites and see no good in their scapegoats though.

I don't disagree with you re Phaneuf. There are some brain farts that just leave me shaking my head. Again, watching certain other teams though, those same brain farts are there. The difference is, the second one of our d touches the puck, our top 6 forwards are already halfway to Milwaukee leaving next to no outlet for our d to get it out.

As for Gards, I'm not sure where I sit with him. He's too talented to just fade away but he's gotta start stepping his game up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How terrible do our D look when Komarov Santorelli and Kadri are on the ice? They look good is the correct answer. It's been the forwards all along.

I've said this for 2years+

Tyler Biggs*

I think this was an opportunity for the Captain to make a statement. I am not being critical of his decision to do nothing but I wonder what Wendel Clark would have done. I am glad that Gardiner at least took a little offense at the cheap hit by OV on Leo. It wasn't the worst hit you see out there but it was pretty cheap. One of the Leafs should have made it a little more clear that it was unacceptable. Sorry, but I think the Captain should have been that guy. I think Leo more than deserves that respect from his team mates. It's something called chemistry, and the Leafs are on the edges of it times, but haven't quite embraced it yet.

Tyler Biggs*

Well, I guess this just proves the Phaneuf haters correct. Those that can't spell his name and call him a Pylon.

Plus 11 so far and ..

In the last five games, your "Pylon" has helped to shut down Stamkos, Zetterberg g, Crosby, Ovechkin and tonight Seguin.

But Nonis is a fool for giving him 7 for 7.

Obviously they should have replaced him with ... with ... with?

hockeyfanz*

Well, I guess this just proves the Phaneuf haters correct. Those that can't spell his name and call him a Pylon.

Plus 11 so far and ..

In the last five games, your "Pylon" has helped to shut down Stamkos, Zetterberg g, Crosby, Ovechkin and tonight Seguin.

Put away your +/- stats..they have been discredited on here on a daily basis. Dont you know its a team stat? At least it is when showing how brutal the top line has performed the last few years. Its a TEAM STAT. Phaneuf is benefiting from a TEAM STAT.

Remember?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Put away your +/- stats..they have been discredited on here on a daily basis. Dont you know its a team stat? At least it is when showing how brutal the top line has performed the last few years. Its a TEAM STAT. Phaneuf is benefiting from a TEAM STAT.

Remember?

it's only a team stat when it's a - and defending one of our sacred cows , i thought you would have learned that by now :sarcasm:

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

Remember?

I disagree, +/-, like other stats has its uses. If you have someone like Phaneuf who plays against top competition, yet has the best +/- on the team, there is clearly something there. It is the same as corsi/fenwick. They have their uses, but you can't just look at one of them and get a clear picture.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I disagree, +/-, like other stats has its uses. If you have someone like Phaneuf who plays against top competition, yet has the best +/- on the team, there is clearly something there. It is the same as corsi/fenwick. They have their uses, but you can't just look at one of them and get a clear picture.

+ is useful. - is useful. +/- is less useful.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Not a fan of Phaneuf at all but this team wouldn't even sniff daylight without him. It would be similar to the final scene of 2005's 'The Descent'.

Very versatile and underrated d-man prone to making a boneheaded play now and again. He's quietly redeeming himself as a #1 Dman. +/- looks terrific and putting up points all while playing alongside Franson (who has improved somewhat too). It's getting harder to knock this guy with each passing game.

So you're pretty much saying if we didn't have Phaneuf we could draft in the top 3-5 likely AND get 7M of cap space? Well, sign me up for that.

Or we could just bubble the playoffs again and not draft in the top 5. Whatever works right. What happens when we're ready to contend and Phaneuf is in his mid 30's and slows down even more than he is now and is untradable with a 7M cap hit? Nah I'd rather start thinking about the future and unload him while we still can.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Plus 11 so far and ..

You obviously don't watch hockey. He's still awful.

just like last year, he puts up stats when there is the least amount of pressure. We all know what happens when it matters aka the rest of the league kicks it up a notch. He doesn't have that notch and his career shows that clearly.

But this year will be different, right?

I find it hilarious that you of all posters feels you can post an I told you so.

You're always wrong Lirl
So much KoolAid you drink

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Has this been his best season to date? He's been really good this year.

buttman*

Dion Phaneuf didn't trade himself to Toronto and become automatically the best dman on the team. Burke traded for him. And both Burke and Nonis have failed to help him. It's just like the Sundin situation. Not saying Phaneuf is at the Sundin level, but it's a similar situation wherein he has little help

Yeah, I'm just gonna disagree with every post that has this sentiment. Dion is playing like an average defenceman. If he was half the player Sundin was that would be great, but he's not. He's regressed. He doesn't hit. Doesn't fight. Doesn't shoot the puck like he used to either. Not to mention he doesn't put up 50 points anymore.

No big deal you say? Well that's what 8 million dollar players are supposed to do. Not go through the motions and leave guys open in front of the net.

The perfect case was last night. Leafs down 5-2 -- you knew, everyone knew, Dion wouldn't be the one to step up with a big hit, fight or goal to get the Leafs back in it. It was more likely he would make a mistake to put the Leafs down another goal.

He's a pale comparison to the kid who steamrolled into the league. Definitely not an impact player anymore and does not deserve to be paid like one. I'm not going to get into the captaincy thing but suffice to say if Dion Phaneuf was traded I think it would be a good thing for this franchise. I don't think I would have said that last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad