Speculation: Dion Phaneuf (job shadowing Shanny, not playing)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Phaneuf would be better then Marincin in our lineup right now and a solid bottom pairing dman. For those that think otherwise are bias to his past. He played on some horrible Leaf teams but he is far from a worse player then players like Holl and Marincin that are currently patrolling our blue line. I would be down for a defense as such going into the playoffs:

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

Adds a little more truculence to our backend.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Phaneuf would be better then Marincin in our lineup right now and a solid bottom pairing dman. For those that think otherwise are bias to his past. He played on some horrible Leaf teams but he is far from a worse player then players like Holl and Marincin that are currently patrolling our blue line. I would be down for a defense as such going into the playoffs:

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

Hes here job shadowing Shanahan, not playing hockey.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

1: no
2: he isn't here to play

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Good for him. That's great that he's taking a chance to learn about this side of the game. Hope he can have some success with it.

Didn't seem that bright to me during his playing days, but I guess that goes to show you just because someone appears a certain way doesn't mean that's how they really are.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Interesting. Phaneuf never struck me as a front office type of guy, but good for him.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
FREE WALLET

Happy to see them treating Dion nicely, giving him this experience.

Really hope it works out for him. He was only a pro in his time here, and took a licking from this city, worse than he deserved.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

Dion literally couldn't turn left skating backwards, even during his time with the Leafs. :laugh:

There's a reason why all 31 teams have declined even trying the guy out.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I thought job shadowing was something High Schoolers did. Not something 35 years olds did.

If it's an entirely new career and/or industry, age doesn't matter.

Same with education. How many MBA students, Med students etc. shadow for potential jobs? Shanahan is basically a mentor, not unusual at all. I've seen 60 year olds job shadowing for management positions.

Nobody is supposed to know what a job would entail unless they see it first hand. It's a win/win for him and his potential future employer if they choose him.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

I watched him play in LA. He can't skate, he is done.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
FREE WALLET

Happy to see them treating Dion nicely, giving him this experience.

Really hope it works out for him. He was only a pro in his time here, and took a licking from this city, worse than he deserved.

For the most part, that "salute gate" thing was a mess though and that's on Kessel and him.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Barrie
Phaneuf-Holl

As crazy as this sounds...I'm okay with giving Marincin some more looks.

This guys long reach breaks up so many plays.

I still cringe when he tries to make a breakout pass or get a point shot through...but for a cheap #6 D that long reach gets the job done.

If he can improve his decision making with all this experience....can't believe I'm going to say this.....but he can stay for the bottom pair.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
You are out of touch.

I have Senior Bank Management job shadow me bi-weekly and I won’t hire anyone who doesn’t do one first.

Just makes a lot of sense and a very common professional practice now.

I agree with your general sentiment, I must say though, if job shadowing is happening bi-weekly, that seems a bit excessive. A decade ago I was in the financial industry and shadowing was twice a year and I was both a mentor and a student. I suppose it depends on the department and organization.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I agree with your general sentiment, I must say though, if job shadowing is happening bi-weekly, that seems a bit excessive. A decade ago I was in the financial industry and shadowing was twice a year and I was both a mentor and a student. I suppose it depends on the department and organization.

It depends entirely on the industry, institution, and area of business.

I have requests coming to me from all areas of the company, either for application purposes or to better understand my role and what my department does.

Personal and professional development are where intelligent investment lies for large institutions and corporations, including from industries that don’t have an obvious or direct connection.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Good for Dion. He had an incredibly challenging role as Toronto's captain and number 1 defenseman that he just wasn't suited for. But he did his best and put up with a ton of criticism and hatred that was probably unwarranted. I hope he finds success

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good for Dion. He had an incredibly challenging role as Toronto's captain and number 1 defenseman that he just wasn't suited for. But he did his best and put up with a ton of criticism and hatred that was probably unwarranted. I hope he finds success
I personally wasn't one of these people, however wasn't there some Leafs fans who hated how fast they named him captain since it was only a few months after trading for him. Plus if those previous teams he was on had more success besides making the playoffs during the 48 game regular season in 2013, maybe he wouldn't have got as much as he did.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Didn't seem that bright to me during his playing days, but I guess that goes to show you just because someone appears a certain way doesn't mean that's how they really are.
You don't always have to be book smart or highly educated... Phaneuf maybe wasn't a genius but captaining a pro team in the most scrutinized hockey market requires a lot of soft skills and leadership abilities. He may not have brought much on ice success but he dealt with all the sideshow crap pretty admirably and always worked his ass off. His work ethic and the experiences he had here could still bring some value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad