Speculation: Dion Phaneuf (job shadowing Shanny, not playing)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You don't always have to be book smart or super educated... Phaneuf maybe wasn't a genius but captaining a pro team in the most scrutinized hockey market requires a lot of soft skills and leadership abilities. He may not have brought much on ice success but he dealt with all the sideshow crap pretty admirably and always worked his ass off.
Obviously the money Phaneuf made when he re-signed was a factor, however he could have easily told Dave Nonis at the time he didn't want to deal with the media anymore and would leave once he became a UFA.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Phaneuf did the best he could with a shitty roster

A prime phaneuf on this team would be awesome.

Hope him the best in his front office career

Reactions: TML11 and SAMCRO44

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
I was fortunate enough to have spent some one on one time with Dion after a HNIC win against the Bruins, the year that the Bruins won the cup. He was very well spoken and a gentleman. Good for him to try to pursue another career in the game of hockey. I wish him all the best.

leafs5 (1).jpg

TML11

Feb 11, 2017
Say what you want, but Dion put up with a lot of crap when he was in TO.
He handled it all with maturity and integrity , never once said anything bad about teammates, the management, or the city.

If he can be a role model for some of the younger guys just for that reason in some mgmt role then good on him.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Further to my post above with my one on one with Dion. Leafs were winning by 3 goals with about 5 minutes to go in the game. Then Bruin Nathan Horton was trying to do his best to get Dion to drop the gloves, but Dion refused. Finally Dion had enough and obliged. After a couple of wild swings, the two became engaged and Dion proceeded to throw Horton face first into the ice. It was really cool talking to Dion about this only about 20 minutes after it happened. This is how I saw Horton leaving the ice after the incident.

horton.jpg

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Ok, for once I will post what I actually think [ sitting in Turks sipping on Margheritas].
Dion is not bright. When they talk about not being the sharpest tool in the toolbox, that would be a complement to him. Let me spell it out, I wonder if he is literate.
Which makes him an absolutely perfect NHL executive, for the majority of NHL teams. And with the “old boys network” I am sure he will be given the opportunity to do some serious damage to some franchise.
For f@@ks sake, let’s pray that Shanahan realizes this and is sending a Trojan virus loose on the other teams.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Burke should have got more of the blame than dion, he gave away those good draft picks for a winger. Kessel is good but not worth picks that high and with no legit centre,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Al14

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Burke should have got more of the blame than dion, he gave away those good draft picks for a winger. Kessel is good but not worth picks that high and with no legit centre,

Kessel turned into a 1st pairing defenseman and a #1 center..

Should have done the rumored Kaberle and a 1st which would've been Kadri and Kaberle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad