Dion Phaneuf Appreciation Thread

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I feel the same way I felt about Kessel leaving. Some hate the guy while others love the guy, but no matter what they were both not worth their contract and in the end had to go.

Sad to see him go, but I see it as something we needed to do to continue this rebuild.

:(

#tanknation

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
Wasnt anywhere near the pylon or worst captain in franchise history.
He was a good player who like Kessel was given a role that they simply weren't capable of holding. Thats not their fault. Blame our horrible management team in the past for that.
Dion was a real solid player. One of the biggest hitters in the NHL who for the most part did his job real well. He has mentored Rielly and Gardiner and made them better D men.
He is a guy that will be missed as he was a good leader on and off the ice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I remember going to Phaneuf's first game with the Leafs after the trade from Calgary and I want to say he was in a fight with Colin White. After it was done everyone in the ACC started saying Dion, Dion, Dion over and over. So best of luck to him in Ottawa.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I remember going to Phaneuf's first game with the Leafs after the trade from Calgary and I want to say he was in a fight with Colin White. After it was done everyone in the ACC started saying Dion, Dion, Dion over and over. So best of luck to him in Ottawa.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
He was never as bad as everyone said he was, I'll give him that. I hate the Senators so much but I hope Dirty Dion can find success there too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sad but true, Dion just regained league-wide respect by simply leaving the Leafs organization.
So fans of other teams thought Phaneuf was an overpaid #1 Defenseman on the Leafs with a 7 million AAV, however even though he will be a #3 Defenseman on the Senators he is not overpaid, despite making that amount of money?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
So fans of other teams thought Phaneuf was an overpaid #1 Defenseman on the Leafs with a 7 million AAV, however even though he will be a #3 Defenseman on the Senators he is not overpaid, despite making that amount of money?

Not fans, i was talking about NHL players (peers). Some of you may know exactly what I'm talking about..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good player, good memories of his hard style play. Liked the fights.

One thing. Scoring off Grabos visor and breaking our players bones so often made me uneasy when he shot.

Wild Thing.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well...thanks for being a good guy.

Honestly never really got attached to the guy even though he was the captain for all this time.

Still, nothing against him as a person. Appreciate the effort he's put in.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Thank You Dion Phaneuf!

Best of luck here in Ottawa, well, except when you play our Leafs!

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
When the Leafs were collapsing last year, he was one of the few players who registered on the "give a s***" meter. He has my respect for that.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
An absolute warrior. Played through whatever injury. Did whatever was asked of him. Deserves to be appreciated for the work he did here. You could never knock the guy for effort either.

The guy is a throwback,, play hard, play clean and play hurt...gonna miss Dion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad