Dion Phaneuf: All Phaneuf Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well said .

I also don`t understand the argument of being patient while building for the future but still keeping players that will be in decline and cap anchors at that time .

I do however believe the leafs are trying to move DP but the offers have been underwhelming so far .

Bingo. some of it is due to the fact that we're not that good - ergo - some teams love to undersell us on everything. And as much as people want people gone, i think if the contract return was crap or a small package - people would be just as angry.

most of Nonis's best trades has come after several months of waiting and being patient. If Dion starts the year off playing very well and there's an offer that Nonis can't ignore - then you make your move. As I've mentioned - I don't think many of the 'core du jour' that was part of Eighteen Wheeler & Olympic Meltdown will be here in two-three years anyway. but having them here NOW supports our younger players and not automatically thrust into situations they can't handle be in.

I've said constantly - i would very much like to see what Chicago did eventually and just slap Rielly and his future partner together and say "Go and Play and Learn." but i'd also like to have a buffer between Rielly & his Future Partner, and that's what Dion is right now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Allow us to call up the Leafs training staff for you and get to the bottom of that.

Phaneuf gets hit, labours back to the bench, misses part of the game, comes back, begins missing practices. Draw a freaking conclusion instead of being intentionally obtuse.

You think the Leafs are intentionally hiding an injury that makes their captain look horrible? If he was injured, they would released it.

Either way, a sore shoulder does not explain poor decisions, and those were his biggest issue in the late season.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You think the Leafs are intentionally hiding an injury that makes their captain look horrible? If he was injured, they would released it.

Either way, a sore shoulder does not explain poor decisions, and those were his biggest issue in the late season.

You're right. No team has ever hidden physical information late in the season. It simply doesn't happen....

Not to a large degree, but especially with shoulder ailments, it makes you indecisive and forces you to lead with the other shoulder throwing off your timing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You're right. No team has ever hidden physical information late in the season. It simply doesn't happen....

Not to a large degree, but especially with shoulder ailments, it makes you indecisive and forces you to lead with the other shoulder throwing off your timing.

hiding a physical ailment during the season is understandable but there`s no reason to hide it once the season is over

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I stated the exact same thing in this thread. Why would the Leafs not after the season was finish not announce that Dion was playing hurt?
Yet people on here show a hit and claim that he was injured!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone should twit someone to get the truth.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
hiding a physical ailment during the season is understandable but there`s no reason to hide it once the season is over

The Penguins announced Crosby's wrist injury two months after the Penguins were eliminated.

Find me one good reason to release that information after the season is over. Who benefits? Does it change anything?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
The Penguins announced Crosby's wrist injury two months after the Penguins were eliminated.

Find me one good reason to release that information after the season is over. Who benefits? Does it change anything?

They would just say they were making excuses for his play if they announced he was hurt.

It's a realists "win win".

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Bingo. some of it is due to the fact that we're not that good - ergo - some teams love to undersell us on everything. And as much as people want people gone, i think if the contract return was crap or a small package - people would be just as angry.

most of Nonis's best trades has come after several months of waiting and being patient. If Dion starts the year off playing very well and there's an offer that Nonis can't ignore - then you make your move. As I've mentioned - I don't think many of the 'core du jour' that was part of Eighteen Wheeler & Olympic Meltdown will be here in two-three years anyway. but having them here NOW supports our younger players and not automatically thrust into situations they can't handle be in.

I've said constantly - i would very much like to see what Chicago did eventually and just slap Rielly and his future partner together and say "Go and Play and Learn." but i'd also like to have a buffer between Rielly & his Future Partner, and that's what Dion is right now.

The only actual young player that needs support is Reilly and i`d have no problem keeping DP around if we were competitive or near cup competitive or if i thought he was tradeable in 3-4 years but since we arn`t and he wont be moveable i`d rather trade him now or in the very near future .

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

nope. and the only reason why the Penguins announced it was because someone found out he was having surgery. i don;t think that comes out at all if the wrist surgery didn't come out.

knowing or not knowing someone is injured isn't my problem. MY problem is - playing through an injury to the point where it is 100 percent hampering your play. sit down. and rest up. i would rather take the chance that we can eek out a win and you are getting better, vs. losing game after game because whatever injury you have is preventing you from doing your job well.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The only actual young player that needs support is Reilly and i`d have no problem keeping DP around if we were competitive or near cup competitive or if i thought he was tradeable in 3-4 years but since we arn`t and he wont be moveable i`d rather trade him now or in the very near future .

okay - and what would you trade him for?
picks?
prospect?

as of right now we'd probably have to give up a pick + retain salary due to all the questions surrounding him & his play. i don't see how that helps us either right now.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

the leafs never seemed to have a problem releasing info on other players injuries over the years - Kessel - Gunner - Bernier among others , so i have no idea why you`d find it so strange if they let us know DP was nursing one

TBH i thought he played the same during the entire season with the only difference being our goalies bailing out him out for the 1st three quarters of the season

Let`s be honest a mistake isn`t a mistake in Leaf land unless the puck winds up in the back of the net .

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Their 50 million dollar man is getting roasted over his play down the stretch. You don't think it's a good idea to provide a little cover for him?

Why would they care about internet mobs? Missing practices is enough of an indication. If others can't connect the dots for themselves then oh well.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
picks?
prospect?

as of right now we'd probably have to give up a pick + retain salary due to all the questions surrounding him & his play. i don't see how that helps us either right now.

I`m agreeing with your previous post , i`m just saying if we can`t get a decent deal for him now i don`t see us getting one for him in the future .

I think Nonis ****ed himself by extending him but he was in a difficult situation . Sometimes there`s no right answer or right move , you just have to limit the damage and move on .

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Their 50 million dollar man is getting roasted over his play down the stretch. You don't think it's a good idea to provide a little cover for him?

I don't think the Leafs, nor Phaneuf care about the fans silly enough to try and drive our best D outta town

cack

Jul 30, 2013
picks?
prospect?

:laugh:

Dion will not be traded and if he was salary would not need to be retained, same with adding a draft pick.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I`m agreeing with your previous post , i`m just saying if we can`t get a decent deal for him now i don`t see us getting one for him in the future .

I think Nonis ****ed himself by extending him but he was in a difficult situation . Sometimes there`s no right answer or right move , you just have to limit the damage and move on .

oh sorry. shouldn't post until after i had morning tea. :)

that I agree with. I've been arguing with a friend that it's basically this cycle that we go through. We overpay - then overpay, then undersell (and for us underselling usually = buyout) and this is a nasty little habit that I'm finding a LOT of Canadian teams are doing (maybe not the buying out part but overly underselling).

If you can get 1 first round pick and a 2nd (or a third) - take it and smile and move on. is it valuable? No. will we be worse - I don't know. Like - Ulf(? i think it was him) said - if you look at where we were before Phaneuf - vs where we were after him... it's not like we got anywhere. We're not overly better defensively with him here - just like we weren't overly worse with him not here.

Him gone means Rielly + ___________ can do the Keith/Seabrook. everyone's #1 argument is "what if they aren't ready and it ruins their development" (see Edmonton). Yes, but what if they struggle and figure it out see, Keith/Seabrook. I could be getting this totally wrong - and correct me if I am so i can develop a new thought here - but Chicago literally just put ALL the pairings they wanted (again with some veteran depth sprinkled in) and told them. "Grow, play, Learn."

same with the forwards. yah - you tinker to get chemistry and results - but it was a "go, play, fall, learn.". get the support when needed, trade off/walk off when necessary.

I do not have an issue with Dion - but I don't think we need to be gloomed to him either. (and - i think the same w/Kessel).

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
the leafs never seemed to have a problem releasing info on other players injuries over the years - Kessel - Gunner - Bernier among others , so i have no idea why you`d find it so strange if they let us know DP was nursing one

TBH i thought he played the same during the entire season with the only difference being our goalies bailing out him out for the 1st three quarters of the season

Let`s be honest a mistake isn`t a mistake in Leaf land unless the puck winds up in the back of the net .

Perhaps by the time the season was over it wasn't as much of an issue anymore.

Then it would have just come off as excuse-making and you guys would be all over Phaneuf/Leafs for that.

Can't win.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Why would they care about internet mobs? Missing practices is enough of an indication. If others can't connect the dots for themselves then oh well.

That's the same kind of "leadership" Phaneuf showed when he ducked the media late in the season.

Guess hat explains why they truly think Dion is a good leader.... They don't know what true leadership looks like.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Perhaps by the time the season was over it wasn't as much of an issue anymore.

Then it would have just come off as excuse-making and you guys would be all over Phaneuf/Leafs for that.

Can't win.

The team collapsing again and there Captain playing like crap wasn`t an issue after the season was over . :help:

It was a huge issue and it`s still an issue for most fans and mang i would believe , i guess it`s just not an issue for the homers who think everything sunshine and roses regardless of how poorly the team performs .

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
nope. and the only reason why the Penguins announced it was because someone found out he was having surgery. i don;t think that comes out at all if the wrist surgery didn't come out.

knowing or not knowing someone is injured isn't my problem. MY problem is - playing through an injury to the point where it is 100 percent hampering your play. sit down. and rest up. i would rather take the chance that we can eek out a win and you are getting better, vs. losing game after game because whatever injury you have is preventing you from doing your job well.

But then the critics would say "all players play through their injuries during this time of year" and lampoon Phaneuf's leadership and me-first attitude.

Bolland, inexplicably, went through the same thing with some posters on here.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It'll be a shame when this thread max's out, lots of quality entertainment.

TheThrill81*

:laugh: You have a strange way of remembering things. The goalies didn't bail him out, but you keep trumpeting that false narrative if it makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad