Dion Phaneuf: All Phaneuf Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
And that's what good management teams do. They sign smart contracts at the right time.

More than anything, the fact they rushed the Dion signing for no good reason infuriates me. If anyone sees an upside to signing that deal before the season ended I'm all ears. Would he have got 8 if he had a solid year and we went 2 series deep? Still doubtful.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If Dion isn't traded and he plays like his first 60 games for us where he was at +21 at one point, I have no problem with him returning with us, if he can get a nice return, I have no problem with this either.

All I know is before he was hurt in that Florida game, he was having his best season as a Leaf. He is not as bad as he finished the season, you just don't play 60 solid games and go in the tank like that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We shouldn't be considering trading Phaneuf. We need to be looking for another top pairing guy so we can have an actual top PAIRing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs need a player so that Phaneuf can be the Bouwmeester for the Leafs.

Not good enough to carry a 1st. pairing, but good enough to be on the first pairing.

Not sure Rielly has the upside to play Pietrangelo's role?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Not good enough to carry a 1st. pairing, but good enough to be on the first pairing.

Rielly has the potential to be a top pairing Dman, at least at this point. He seems to have a high hockey IQ and that will help him greatly as he develops.

Not sure Phaneuf will be around still at the time he reaches it however.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Exactly. Someone who can stabilise the puck would be nice. You know, our own Josi and it's likely someone like Gardiner/ Rielly could be the one.

A suitable partner has been a long time coming, hopefully this is the year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Dion with Pietrangelo would be one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL.

I harkin back to the Kyper tweet, 2 months ago, both ontario captains on the trade block.

Wonder if there is still something up, Dion's modified NTC kicked in, I have to think the western team was on his list, maybe if injuries kick in, his value will go higher. Patience is the key here, Leafs may get a huge return.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Dion with Pietrangelo would be one of the best defensive pairings in the NHL.

I harkin back to the Kyper tweet, 2 months ago, both ontario captains on the trade block.

Wonder if there is still something up, Dion's modified NTC kicked in, I have to think the western team was on his list, maybe if injuries kick in, his value will go higher. Patience is the key here, Leafs may get a huge return.

Leafs did quite well, in a Leafs bumbling never win anything sort of style, before Phaneuf arrived and the Leafs will survive when he's gone.

Some people act as if the Leafs future is dependent on Phaneuf. Makes you wonder if they watched hockey before 2009?

Moving Phaneuf could land a couple decent prospects from a team looking for a great #2.

Leafs should be building for the future, they can't compete with the elite teams today, and a slower Phaneuf isn't going to be the difference maker in 3-4 years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs did quite well, in a Leafs bumbling never win anything sort of style, before Phaneuf arrived and the Leafs will survive when he's gone.

Some people act as if the Leafs future is dependent on Phaneuf. Makes you wonder if they watched hockey before 2009?

Moving Phaneuf could land a couple decent prospects from a team looking for a great #2.

Leafs should be building for the future, they can't compete with the elite teams today, and a slower Phaneuf isn't going to be the difference maker in 3-4 years.

The future of the Leafs D is not Phaneuf.

The day Rielly, Granberg, Percy become the core of this defence. This team will be on the upswing.

I see these 3 as the core of our defence.

Finn, Nilsson, Gardiner, as support parts if they are not traded.

Rielly, Granberg, and Percy IMO have the most potential. Burke may get last laugh at saying he wanted Percy at #22 and not Biggs. He is easily no worse than our 3rd best young defenceman, and he should have been perhaps our 2nd or 3rd best prospect.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
watch what subban gets. doughty >> subban.

apples and oranges though, subban is an rfa if doughty made it to ufa was the suggestion and he would imo bring in over 10mil easily. hell weber and suter brought that in a lower cap if you take out their cap circumventing yrs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That was a hit. What was his injury?

I get it, you want a good reason for Phaneuf sucking at the end of the season, but that doesn't mean you should just fabricate one.

How is this fabricated? You asked I provided proof? Do you have any proof he wasn't hurt late in the season after that hit. He missed many practices as per Jonas Siegel tweets due to maintanance days. Which is more proof than claiming he wasn't ailing.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Well said .

I also don`t understand the argument of being patient while building for the future but still keeping players that will be in decline and cap anchors at that time .

I do however believe the leafs are trying to move DP but the offers have been underwhelming so far .

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
How is this fabricated? You asked I provided proof? Do you have any proof he wasn't hurt late in the season after that hit. He missed many practices as per Jonas Siegel tweets due to maintanance days. Which is more proof than claiming he wasn't ailing.

I didn't ask for proof. I asked why the unjury was. Separated shoulder? Sprained ankle?

You showed a video if a hit, and fabricated an unspecific nagging injury.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That was a hit. What was his injury?

I get it, you want a good reason for Phaneuf sucking at the end of the season, but that doesn't mean you should just fabricate one.

Yup , Dion took a bump and it ruined the rest of his year , or that`s what his defenders want everyone to believe . Maybe a better explanation is our goal tending fell back to earth and DP`s mistakes were exposed .

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I didn't ask for proof. I asked why the unjury was. Separated shoulder? Sprained ankle?

Allow us to call up the Leafs training staff for you and get to the bottom of that.

Phaneuf gets hit, labours back to the bench, misses part of the game, comes back, begins missing practices. Draw a freaking conclusion instead of being intentionally obtuse.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Does it matter what is was? If it's enough to pull a workhorse like Dion out of multiple practices it sounds significant enough.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

No one can provide 100% definitive proof either way, but given his play started slipping not coincidentally after this hit, and he was favouring his side, my guess ribs and missing a lot of the game, and the subsequent maintaince days. It is a reasonable summation to deduce he was hiding and playing with an injury late in the season given his slide. Not an excuse mind you, but it does help to know a reason why his play slid.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Allow us to call up the Leafs training staff for you and get to the bottom of that.

Phaneuf gets hit, labours back to the bench, misses part of the game, comes back, begins missing practices. Draw a freaking conclusion instead of being intentionally obtuse.

It's funny how his haters will take every opportunity to find fault with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad