Dinamo Riga 2015/2016 Thread

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
He was terrible in Zagreb.

He had flashes of skill, but other than that he looked uninterested
IMO he has always looked uninterested, that's just his style how he looks on the ice.

Zagreb: 28gp, 7+8 and -1

But big question mark is that does he still have motivation for the sport? he clearly robbed the bank in Buffalo so rest of the life looks good financially.

Rihis

Mar 24, 2013
So..

Sedlacek/Eriksson

Redlihs/Kundratek
Galvins/Seigo
Sotnieks/Jeroferevs
Cibulskis

Darzins/Schutz/Indrasis
Leino/Sestito/Redlihs
(Bukarts/Abols)/Dzerins/Meija
(Bukarts/Abols)/Bicevskis/Saulietis

Something like that, and what do we think about that.. And Where could Kulda/Jekimovs fit in?

Jekimovs is already released by Dinamo. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Ābols is going to play in WHL next year?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Abols going to play for Portland would make a lot of sense. Him not going to play for Portland would make a lot of sense too. Decisions decisions.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Abols going to play for Portland would make a lot of sense. Him not going to play for Portland would make a lot of sense too. Decisions decisions.

As a North American, I selfishly would want him to go to Portland because that would at least guarantee putting him on NHL scouts radars, and I really want to see him try to make it here. If he'd been playing in Portland this year, I can practically guarantee he would have been drafted. I just don't think enough scouts took notice, which is baffling considering some of the questionable talent that gets picked. I mean here you have a teenager who at times looked like one of Riga's best forwards playing against way stronger competition than most other guys his age. It would also allow him to play a consistent top-6 scoring role, whereas I think if he sticks in Dinamo he'll be playing 3rd or 4th line. He's too good to be playing in the MHL IMO.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think you are underrating the extent of scouting in this case. Dzierkals was scooped up in the 3rd round even though he came out of the hills only half a year before the draft so I would surprise me greatly if Abols is of the radar considering all kinds of exposure he had over the years. I think scouts just don't believe in his future as an NHL player and frankly it's not especially hard to see why.

I think going to Portland would be good for Abols' development since he would get ton of minutes and taste of NA hockey would be good for a player his size but as far as his draft potential goes I think it's over. Hard to see someone picking 20 year old project kind of player.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think you are underrating the extent of scouting in this case. Dzierkals was scooped up in the 3rd round even though he came out of the hills only half a year before the draft so I would surprise me greatly if Abols is of the radar considering all kinds of exposure he had over the years. I think scouts just don't believe in his future as an NHL player and frankly it's not especially hard to see why.

I think going to Portland would be good for Abols' development since he would get ton of minutes and taste of NA hockey would be good for a player his size but as far as his draft potential goes I think it's over. Hard to see someone picking 20 year old project kind of player.

I agree about the draft, no one's going to draft him at this point. But a good season in the WHL would ensure at the least a pro tryout. If he does well enough maybe he gets signed as a free agent.

Dzierkals was lucky enough to play in the U18's and get noticed there. I doubt he owuld have been drafted or even noticed just by playing in the MHL. Abols never got to play in a elite division tournament with Riga. Latvia was always in a lower pool.

I'm not saying no one in the NHL scouting community would know who he is, nor am I saying he's a surefire NHL star. But I do think that had he been playing in the CHL he likely would have been drafted. Reto Berra was quoted the other day saying that the reason more Swiss players are getting drafted and signed is the fact that more are going to the CHL. He said if you stay in the Swiss junior league you remain pretty anonymous for NHL scouts. Even a guy like Fiala went to Sweden. Anyways, I don't mean to derail the thread.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

Agree with pretty much everything you said. Maybe would just add, that D1A WJC offers quite a lot of exposure too, someone like Soberg was drafted from there, basically. Obviously you have to make an impression.

And even though I agree good WHL season would ensure him at least a pro try-out and I'm pretty sure Abols would have a really good season in the WHL should a pro try-out and subsequent playing in ECHL/AHL for 2-3 years really be his goal when he is this close to the actual KHL roster? That's why I said him not going to Portland would make a lot of sense, other than the NHL dream (if he has one) he has great opportunities at home.

Does Dynamo Riga show interest to sign him?

Obviously Dinamo is interested in every Latvian of such quality but at the same time Kulda or Bartulis obviously aren't affordable.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
So Abols officially joins Winterhawks.

Probably a smart choice for his career. If things don't pan out for him in N.A., he can always go back. But now is the best time to go for it rather than wait for an opportunity at the pro level that may or may not come.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Riga looked really good in their home opener against Kazan and I think it was a deserved win. I have a feeling that Riga will make the playoffs this season.

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
Riga looked really good in their home opener against Kazan and I think it was a deserved win. I have a feeling that Riga will make the playoffs this season.

I wish,but seems like they are going to be a hard to beat home team,s usual,but they need
more add in front.Sestito and Leino are not like Hossa.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Sestito and Leino on the same line?

Hey, Sestito already has more goals (1) in 2 KHL games than he did in his entire NHL career. I know Leino got a few points in the pre-season, So lets just hope he's more like Flyers Leino and less like Sabres Leino down the stretch.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
There's some love from 4th line early on too, that I like and was not expecting at all.
4:0 in Minsk, doesn't seem like Minsk's season has started good but anyway start with such a win against a rival away early on, so far good stuff. And Sestito scored again.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Darzins and Indrasis are bad this year. Darzins seems to be regressing and Indrasis has failed to take the next step.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Darzins and Indrasis are bad this year. Darzins seems to be regressing and Indrasis has failed to take the next step.

Dinamo has not allowed him to take the next step. He has had grand offers from other KHL teams, yet Dinamo, despite stating publicly that they 'won't hold anyone who has a better offer', has declined to free him.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah, and when did playing for bigger KHL club turned out ok for any of our guys?

Karsums is doing ok I suppose.

Masalskis is doing great now.

But those are guys who had previous experience being foreigners, or playing "not home"..

But everyone else failed.

And truthfully speaking I don't think Indrasis has tools to step in into a big club a be a leader there..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad