Prospect Info: Dimitry Zhukenov, 2015 4th Round Pick (114th Overall)

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
From that highlight package, Zhukenov is always putting himself in a position to get the puck, and if that opportunity isnt there, he creates it.

He has hands, pestiness, offensive awarness, playmaking and skill.

I really like this pick.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
He seems to play bigger than he is. Pretty scrappy, pretty strong. Great skills. Love this pick, obviously.

Hard to believe he was a 4th Round Pick. What was the knock on this guy?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
He seems to play bigger than he is. Pretty scrappy, pretty strong. Great skills. Love this pick, obviously.

The knock is the Canucks chose him in the 4th round. we haven't had a successful 4th round pick in 30 years.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Going to guess size and the Russian factor. There's an interview where they (Benning?) stated that they'd done their homework on the guy and concluded he was safe.

I hate to even utter this comparison, but he looks like a Russian Brad Marchand out there.

The Marshmont to Bo's Bergeron. :naughty: An apt comparison, though.

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
he had a strong young stars tournament didn't put up the points but the skill was there. Looking forward to seeing a good year in the qmjhl and some strength building

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Absolutely love this draft pick and expect him to skyrocket up our prospect rankings this season.

Guy looks to excel in traffic, doesn't shy away from contact like the Schroeder/Jensen's before him and was surprisingly good at getting into passing lanes and stealing pucks.

More late Rd picks like this please. A lot of similarities with the Cole Cassels selection.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Man, I loved Chubarov-- he was my favorite player while he was here. He was like a reverse defensive powerforward-- Just walked right up to whoever and easily stripped the puck off them, then had guys clinging onto his back while he willed the puck over center to just dump it in. Very direct, tenacious as ****, and a load to handle.

Zhukenov doesn't play anything like him, though.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
i really like the player and the pick (big fan of this pick and the jasek pick) but uh, i cant really think of a single one

I agree with the comparison, both are really smart 2-way playmaking centers who compete hard. Zhukenov reminded me of Cole at his first young stars the way he got to pucks and found guys in scoring position.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Man, I loved Chubarov-- he was my favorite player while he was here. He was like a reverse defensive powerforward-- Just walked right up to whoever and easily stripped the puck off them, then had guys clinging onto his back while he willed the puck over center to just dump it in. Very direct, tenacious as ****, and a load to handle.

Zhukenov doesn't play anything like him, though.

i am so confused....not sure what Chubarov has to do with Zhuky

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Was definitely the one 2015 pick that showed well in Penticton.

Interesting prospect. Clearly a high-IQ player who was around the puck lots, and seemed to have a quality motor and compete level. But has the build of a young Gretzky and is a weak skater.

Definitely the sort of player we should be taking a shot on in the mid-rounds, though. Hopefully his skating can improve as he adds size and strength.

Interested to see how he goes in the Q. Hopefully he can come in and put up the 70-80 points you'd expect from him.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Was definitely the one 2015 pick that showed well in Penticton.

Interesting prospect. Clearly a high-IQ player who was around the puck lots, and seemed to have a quality motor and compete level. But has the build of a young Gretzky and is a weak skater.

Definitely the sort of player we should be taking a shot on in the mid-rounds, though. Hopefully his skating can improve as he adds size and strength.

Interested to see how he goes in the Q. Hopefully he can come in and put up the 70-80 points you'd expect from him.

He isn't a blazer but he is far from a weak skater. He needs to grow and adjust to life over here but he looks like a good prospect from what I've seen so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad