Prospect Info: Dimitry Zhukenov, 2015 4th Round Pick (114th Overall)

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'm sure it's coincidence that Kuznetsov fell to the team that featured Ovechkin and Semin, and that it's also total coincidence that he took so long to come over.

Drafting Russians that weren't nearly sure shots to jump directly to the NHL and later be high-earners was a giant question mark for several years. It's absurd to argue otherwise.

That's not what he's saying though. He's saying the Russian risk might push a prospect down your board but shouldn't completely remove him from it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, let's call a spade a spade here...Garland looks like an absolute complete and total bust in making the transition to the AHL level. He can't do it. That's not just struggling or disappointing, it's calamitous lack of efficacy. And Garland does one thing, and one thing only - offense. Which he's not been able to do, at all.

Zhukenov isn't tracking like an impact player of any kind either...but i take his advantage in size, two-way game, versatility, and work rate as a potential spare part player at the low end of a depth chart any day over what a hyperproductive junior like Garland has shown in making the jump.

I think Zhukenov's two-way game is being undersold a bit...he has the potential to be worth a contract in the same sense as like...a somewhat bigger, slower Alex Friesen who kicks around and helps out in the AHL for a bit. He can play all situations and C or Wing, he still has decent smarts and hands. The wheels aren't great and haven't really taken that important step, but there's probably still enough to get by in the AHL.

Not tracking for a real NHL impact at all, but you still need organizational depth. He's a lot better than a lot of guys who have been given contracts here in the not too distant past. I think he's worth a deal. Though i wouldn't be heartbroken if he's not extended an offer.

You talked me out of it not into it. The team has just added Zack MacEwan and the team contract slots are starting to feel a little limited. I think there are better players we should be looking at to use up any remaining slots, ie this a garbage team so it can sell that to college UFAs as an easier route to NHL pay. As well we are loaded with smallish skill players now (Baertschi, Granlund, Goldobin, Dahlen, etc) it's hard to see the point of adding one not even expected to make the NHL or even excel at AHL level.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
the team contract slots are starting to feel a little limited.

Not really. The Canucks have been near the 50 contract slots for many years. Benning actually made a conscious effort in summer of 2015 to leave some slots open so he would have the flexibility to sign some CHL/college UFAs. The Canucks also have 9 players currently not on the Canucks who are RFAs or UFAs. They're not all going to be back. There's plenty of flexibility in terms of how they fill the Comets' roster for next season.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
He had an assist last night in a Game 7 winning effort. It's nice to see that he has turned it up in the playoffs. Hopefully his team can go on a long run; I think it could be very good for his development considering his point totals did not really improve this season. Also, I assume this will also make management pay attention.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
i wonder if The KHL is the best route for him. The Canucks hold his rights until June 2019. We have handed out a lot of ELCs of late.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His good playoffs is a nice sign, but there's no way you give this player a contract right now when you own his rights for another two years.

I'd try to get him to go to Sweden or Finland instead of the KHL, though, where I think he would struggle to get minutes.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
His good playoffs is a nice sign, but there's no way you give this player a contract right now when you own his rights for another two years.

I'd try to get him to go to Sweden or Finland instead of the KHL, though, where I think he would struggle to get minutes.

Is there no room in Utica for him?
Having his development in our organization vs AHL caliber talent has to be the more ideal way to go.

Looking at capgeek.. there is contract room as well.. Also Rendulic and Zalewski could/should be gone.. Grenier as well. Turn that roster over.. put some new lines in the water...

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Needs to work on his skating and overall conditioning if he's gonna make it at the next level. He was laboring through practice big time at the prospect summer camp.

It's hard to really keep tabs on players in the khl to see if they are getting proper development on and off the ice. If zhukenov doesn't get quicker and improve his conditioning I don't see him having a future in North America. The game is just too quick to be a step behind like that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is there no room in Utica for him?
Having his development in our organization vs AHL caliber talent has to be the more ideal way to go.

If you're him, would you rather play in the KHL for 1 million or the AHL for 10X less?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If you're him, would you rather play in the KHL for 1 million or the AHL for 10X less?

1 - No one is giving him $1 million anywhere in the world
2 - Isn't about what he wants.. is about whats in the team's best interest.

To really figure out what we have in this prospect, better to evaluate him directly under our noses vs pro players directly comparable to other pros and our other prospects.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1 - No one is giving him $1 million anywhere in the world
2 - Isn't about what he wants.. is about whats in the team's best interest.

To really figure out what we have in this prospect, better to evaluate him directly under our noses vs pro players directly comparable to other pros and our other prospects.

I want him here too, playing in the AHL. I just see him able to make a lot more money in the KHL than in the AHL. Then in a couple years, after he's gotten bigger and stronger, he might step right into our Canuck's lineup. Kind of like Tryamkin. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I want him here too, playing in the AHL. I just see him able to make a lot more money in the KHL than in the AHL. Then in a couple years, after he's gotten bigger and stronger, he might step right into our Canuck's lineup. Kind of like Tryamkin. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Financially for him it's more ideal to sign and start the clock on his ELC sooner and to develop here than it is to make a few more bucks in the K..
Literally he would be making about just $30K more per season in the K as a 20 yr old rookie relative to the $70K he would in the A..

Better for him to get bigger and stronger here... for both sides.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Financially for him it's more ideal to sign and start the clock on his ELC sooner and to develop here than it is to make a few more bucks in the K..
Literally he would be making about just $30K more per season in the K as a 20 yr old rookie relative to the $70K he would in the A..

$30k more, plus the owners threaten to not pay you.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

$30k more, plus the owners threaten to not pay you.

30K is a lot of money when you're talking about $70K vs $100K no? And they pay fewer taxes in Russia?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
30K is a lot of money when you're talking about $70K vs $100K no? And they pay fewer taxes in Russia?

I should say 100K to 115K is what Tryamkin was rumored to be making... I'm sure their minimum wage is lower than 70K.

Financially in the long run - it's in his best interests to remain here and develop. His route to games in the NHL and NHL paydays are much closer.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
3 assists on 3 power-play goals for Zhukenov tonight, in Chicoutimi's 3-2 double-overtime victory, evening their series against Saint John 1-1.

Zhukenov leads Chicoutimi in points so far in the playoffs and is 4th in the league: 13 gp - 5/14/19. His 7 power play assists top the league (Carl Neil has 6).

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Just can't get excited over DZ. I don't think he's worth a contract even though he's having a great playoffs.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just can't get excited over DZ. I don't think he's worth a contract even though he's having a great playoffs.

Is your concern, or lack of excitement, because he's rumoured going back to Russia to play in the KHL?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dimitri is playing alongside Tryamkin (well, not on the same pairing, but on the same team), as Avtomobilist begins the playoffs today. Currently they're down 2-0 entering the third period. Zhukenov is listed as being on the second line. I'll check later to see how much ice time he got.

Zhukenov is now 23. The KHL will probably be the peak of his career, but who knows ...?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dimitri is playing alongside Tryamkin (well, not on the same pairing, but on the same team), as Avtomobilist begins the playoffs today. Currently they're down 2-0 entering the third period. Zhukenov is listed as being on the second line. I'll check later to see how much ice time he got.

Zhukenov is now 23. The KHL will probably be the peak of his career, but who knows ...?

How does he look? Does he still look like he's 5'11" 174lbs?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Update: he played 15:10, which is around his average, I believe. Avtomobilist was shout out, so, no points.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If he's good enough even just to be a centre at the AHL level and depth player in the NHL, he'd be worth a contract. I know not all draft picks are automatic to sign, but it seems Zhukenov has shown enough in the KHL that it would be a worthwhile gamble to bring him over here. Can't have enough centres.

That or, like other teams who own their farm clubs, the Comets could sign him to an AHL contract. I've seen this happen around the league and I don't get why the Canucks/Comets don't. A good example is Rodrigo Abols. He was a bad draft pick, sure, but why not sign him to an AHL deal? The Panthers made something out of him and now he's actually signed to an NHL deal with them.

Reactions: lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad