Prospect Info: Dimitry Zhukenov, 2015 4th Round Pick (114th Overall)

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Assume this guy isn't signed to a KHL team, and is eligible for the CHL...has he been drafted by anyone?....would be great to see a 'Nucks prospect playing with the Giants or some other B.C. WHL team.

Playing in the Q next season.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
CHL point production is easier to project measuring stick than Euro leagues. next season will give us a better idea where he's at.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I know he was drafted into the Q but is there confirmation he is actually playing in the Q?

Any word on if Tryamkin might come over this year? I assume no as he's not in camp.

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I know he was drafted into the Q but is there confirmation he is actually playing in the Q?

Any word on if Tryamkin might come over this year? I assume no as he's not in camp.

IIRC he's on the last year of his contract and can't come over unless he buys it out himself.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Canucks prospects youtube just uploaded this highlight video of Zhukenov

I don't know how to describe what he did @ 2:09 :laugh:

I can see why Benning compares him to Datsyuk stylistically. The way he snatches pucks away by doing smart stick checks is something I've seen Datsyuk do a thousand times.

Seems like quite the pest out there.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
“He has skill and ability,” said Smyl. “To me, he is more of a playmaker rather than a finisher, you can see him out there always looking for people to pass to. He is an offensive player that has the ability to control the play and that is what he likes to do. He also has an edge to his game; he competes really hard out there.”

His skill has been on display at the Canucks Prospects Development Camp in Shawnigan Lake, where it doesn’t take too long to notice him out there. During battle drills, he isn’t afraid to get dirty. Going up against guys much bigger, Zhukenov comes out of the corner with the puck more often than not. He has good puck handling skills and isn’t afraid to use them. If there is no play to be made, he isn’t afraid to shoot the puck.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774133&navid=DL|VAN|home

JA

July615_camp2_dl.jpg

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774133&navid=DL|VAN|home
Coming to North America
Monday, 07.6.2015 / 5:06 PM PT / Features
By Tyson Giuriato
Welcome.

For some Russian born draft picks, getting to North America is half the battle for the team that selected them. For the Vancouver Canucks, that battle has already been won with Dmitry Zhukenov, their fourth round, 114th overall, pick at the 2015 NHL Draft.

Actually, it wasn’t a battle at all.

“He wants to be in North America and he wants to play,” said the Canucks’ Director of Player Development, Stan Smyl. “Watching him on the ice, he wants to be the first one to go in drills. He likes to compete. For him to play in North America, find out what the travel is like and to play against players over here, is really important for a player like that.”

Zhukenov will play for the Chicoutimi Saguenéens in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League next season. The Saguenéens took him 10th overall at last week’s CHL Import Draft.

The move will allow the Canucks to keep a closer eye on his development, which was a big factor in the organizations decision to draft him. The club did their homework and knew prior to the draft that Zhukenov wanted to play junior hockey in North America.

The 5-foot-11 forward put up modest numbers in the MHL last season, a junior league in Russia. He had 19 points (3-16-19) in 35 games along with 42 penalty minutes. But on the international stage, Zhukenov has fared well. He had six points (3-3-6) in five games at the 2015 Under-18s, five points (1-4-5) in four games at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka Memorial, and 10 points (3-7-10) in six games at the 2014 World Under-17 Challenge.

“He has skill and ability,” said Smyl. “To me, he is more of a playmaker rather than a finisher, you can see him out there always looking for people to pass to. He is an offensive player that has the ability to control the play and that is what he likes to do. He also has an edge to his game; he competes really hard out there.”

His skill has been on display at the Canucks Prospects Development Camp in Shawnigan Lake, where it doesn’t take too long to notice him out there. During battle drills, he isn’t afraid to get dirty. Going up against guys much bigger, Zhukenov comes out of the corner with the puck more often than not. He has good puck handling skills and isn’t afraid to use them. If there is no play to be made, he isn’t afraid to shoot the puck.

“We see him developing into a crafty playmaker that is competitive and not afraid to go into the traffic areas,” said Smyl. “His potential will climb as he goes along and gets comfortable in North America.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner57

Jul 7, 2015
Think he'll be a tremendous player in the Q next year, though you guys should temper your expectations on the PPG. Some players translate more seamlessly to the smaller ice than others, and I expect some growing pains at the early part of the season/ a strong start and cool off. Typically how things go for Euro players in their first year.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Very excited that he's coming over and that we'll be able to get a better read on him this season

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Since he's joining the CHL next season, will he lose his AHL eligibility? Or will he be able to join the A as a 19 year old?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Saw the bit on him and Subban, it's amazing to me how skinny he is. Guess I'm getting old and forget how scrawny 17-19 year old kids are! Will definitely need to add some weight however.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
It's still Bragin, so no issues for CHL-ers. Still 1996 born centers are pretty strong, so I don't think Zhukenov will make it this year, maybe he gets couple of games at SSS though.

He should for sure get at least the sss games, and maybe more as he plays the kind of game I think Bragin likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad