Post-Game Talk: Different night, same movie. 4-1 Jets over Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't really care what the one-game Corsi says - the Sedin line were pretty clearly our best players last night and could easily have scored 2-3 goals if they got any bounces or Hansen had any finish.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I don't really care what the one-game Corsi says - the Sedin line were pretty clearly our best players last night and could easily have scored 2-3 goals if they got any bounces or Hansen had any finish.

I agree with this. They played very well and looked dangerous last night. I just find it funny how the argument comes full circle.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
We'll be outta contention for the playoffs by the New Year at this rate, which should hopefully prevent Benning from trading draft picks for any veteran upgrades or anything stupid. Maybe Miller will demand a trade ... he looks pretty pissed all the time.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Obviously a brutal road trip.

That said, every team in the league will go through a similar stretch. I fully expect they'll improve sooner than later and play some better hockey.

The Canucks are a playoff team, I believe, with one caveat: this isn't a team that will be able to sustain a whole bunch of injuries - they just don't have that type of depth.

Glad the trip is over, and looking forward to Saturday night.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Obviously a brutal road trip.

That said, every team in the league will go through a similar stretch. I fully expect they'll improve sooner than later and play some better hockey.

The Canucks are a playoff team, I believe, with one caveat: this isn't a team that will be able to sustain a whole bunch of injuries - they just don't have that type of depth.

Glad the trip is over, and looking forward to Saturday night.

Lol this isn't a playoff team. I said it before the season and nothing about this 7-7-6 start has changed my mind.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
They are:

4 points back of LA...LA has two games in hand
Tied with SJ...SJ has two games in hand
1 up on the Coyotes...Coyotes have two games in hand
4 up on Anaheim...Ducks have one game in hand

3 points behind the Wild and Hawks for the wildcard...Wild have 3 games in hand, Hawks 2 games

They trail everyone in the other conference by at least 5 points and they all have games in hand.

They may be in a playoff spot right now but I do not believe they would be if every team was at 20 games. They would likely by 9th or 10th in the conference with teams like the Ducks nipping at their heels.

It isn't pretty but I hear this was some sort of planned stealth tank by the management team.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Yeah that was the positive I took from this game as well. I thought that line looked good. Hansen is a pretty ideal line mate for them, his speed brings a different element and opens up some ice for the Sedins, plus he's smart enough to work their cycle. Would be even better if Hansen had any finish whatsoever.

It's a positive anyway, other than that the squad looks pretty overmatched these days.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Oh it is. It's just interesting to see those who gave them a pass in the Calgary playoff series say nothing about this today. #DoubleStandards

Well players who have proven to be great possession players over a large sample size, get a pass in one game. Especially when one game possession stats are meaningless.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They are:

4 points back of LA...LA has two games in hand
Tied with SJ...SJ has two games in hand
1 up on the Coyotes...Coyotes have two games in hand
4 up on Anaheim...Ducks have one game in hand

3 points behind the Wild and Hawks for the wildcard...Wild have 3 games in hand, Hawks 2 games

They trail everyone in the other conference by at least 5 points and they all have games in hand.

They may be in a playoff spot right now but I do not believe they would be if every team was at 20 games. They would likely by 9th or 10th in the conference with teams like the Ducks nipping at their heels.

It isn't pretty but I hear this was some sort of planned stealth tank by the management team.

Imagine where we'd be if we didn't have so many loser points.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Lol this isn't a playoff team. I said it before the season and nothing about this 7-7-6 start has changed my mind.

You and every one else. I don't know why people are so surprised. Before the season most people thought we'd be pretty far down in the Conference, and they likely will be by seasons end. Not sure why this should surprise any one, as much as it sucks to watch. It's a team of past-their-prime veterans and developing kids. Nowhere near ready for prime time. They're in transition/re-building, whatever you want to call it, but they're not going anywhere this year and every one seemed to know it from the start, now it's a big disappointment.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You and every one else. I don't know why people are so surprised. Before the season most people thought we'd be pretty far down in the Conference, and they likely will be by seasons end. Not sure why this should surprise any one, as much as it sucks to watch. It's a team of past-their-prime veterans and developing kids. Nowhere near ready for prime time. They're in transition/re-building, whatever you want to call it, but they're not going anywhere this year and every one seemed to know it from the start, now it's a big disappointment.

Not everyone. As above you can see there are still people who like this team for some reason. Management also thinks it's a playoff team, which scares the crap out of me.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Not everyone. As above you can see there are still people who like this team for some reason. Management also thinks it's a playoff team, which scares the crap out of me.

Management's job is to sell this as a playoff team and try to make the playoffs. Ownership wants that revenue. Hopefully behind the scenes they are looking at things realistically and long-term. Judging by the amount of rookies, they seem to be anyway.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Management's job is to sell this as a playoff team and try to make the playoffs. Ownership wants that revenue. Hopefully behind the scenes they are looking at things realistically and long-term. Judging by the amount of rookies, they seem to be anyway.

Judging by them chasing veterans, keeping their veteran goalie over the cheaper, younger, and frankly better Lack, and by spending to the cap I truly believe management intended to make the playoffs this year.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I agree with this. They played very well and looked dangerous last night. I just find it funny how the argument comes full circle.

There isn't any "argument" to be had. The Sedins are good players. Period. End of. You can either agree, and be correct, or disagree, and be incorrect.

An "argument" implies that there are two sides to an issue. There is no debate to be had here.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

If a few million in playoff revenue is so important to ownership then why would they endorse a plan where management puts together a team they know won't make the playoffs while having the 5th highest payroll in the league?

It doesn't make sense. If ownership was chasing dollars and management expected to miss the playoffs they'd be spending way less money. Swapping out one or two overpriced contracts for cheaper options would generate more profit for the team than losing in the 1st round again.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There isn't any "argument" to be had. The Sedins are good players. Period. End of. You can either agree, and be correct, or disagree, and be incorrect.

An "argument" implies that there are two sides to an issue. There is no debate to be had here.

What are you even talking about?

In last years playoffs their production was subpar, yet people claimed they were dominating because of their Corsi. Well based on that same standard, last night they were dominated. But in reality, they actually were quite dangerous.

So which is it? Or does the goal posts move depending on the circumstance because of the belief that these guys are great no matter what?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
If a few million in playoff revenue is so important to ownership then why would they endorse a plan where management puts together a team they know won't make the playoffs while having the 5th highest payroll in the league?

It doesn't make sense. If ownership was chasing dollars and management expected to miss the playoffs they'd be spending way less money. Swapping out one or two overpriced contracts for cheaper options would generate more profit for the team than losing in the 1st round again.

Not signing Miller would do more for this team's profits than two rounds of playoffs. This stealth tank ******** makes exactly zero sense.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
What are you even talking about?

In last years playoffs their production was subpar, yet people claimed they were dominating because of their Corsi. Well based on that same standard, last night they were dominated. But in reality, they actually were quite dangerous.

So which is it? Or does the goal posts move depending on the circumstance because of the belief that these guys are great no matter what?

Sometimes, good players don't score. Not rocket science.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

It's almost impossible to cut payroll right now.

Look around the league, most teams are right up against their budgets and has guys they'd love to dump. It just doesn't work like that anymore.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's almost impossible to cut payroll right now.

Look around the league, most teams are right up against their budgets and has guys they'd love to dump. It just doesn't work like that anymore.

Could have cut payroll by moving Miller instead of Lack. Also by not signing Bartkowski or Sbisa to those idiotic deals. And by not acquiring Prust,

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Not signing Miller would do more for this team's profits than two rounds of playoffs. This stealth tank ******** makes exactly zero sense.

It's only a "stealth tank" if you're blind to the fact that the Vancouver Canucks are currently, and overtly in my opinion, re-building.

They can't dump everyone for a multitude of reasons. Like it or not, this is what we're going to get for a while. But he emphasis is quite clearly on the future if you're paying attention objectively. I don't care what you want to call it.

Again, there are many teams in our boat around the league. You can't just dump players anymore. Everyone is tight to their budget.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
And Sutter. Like the dude is a good player and a really good 3rd line center. But he's so expensive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad