Difference between Isles (Snow) and Leafs (Burke)

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Side note: was in Toronto last weekend and had my Isles gear on proudly...went into the bank to exchange money for stri...food and started talking hockey with the teller. Told me he envies the Isles prospects and that we will be in much better shape than the Leafs in coming years. Then when i said the Isles mgmt is not very good, he just shot me a look, to which i said, "I guess you guys arent to happy with Burke these days, eh?"
his reply:"hes a F$!#$%! moron"
so, needless to say, the grass is always greener...even in Toronto
This is the general sentiment in TO. I listen to their sports talk radio, they are really down on Burke. Feel he's impatient and tried to short-circuit a rebuild by making Milbury-eque trades rather than just burn it to the ground and start from scratch (like us). They (in general) don't feel they have a solid core to build around. Most Leafs fans I hang out all say the same thing. They're tired of him and feel they, at best, have only treaded water for his 4+ years.

As I've said repeatedly in this thread, I'll take Snow 10 times out of ten over the press hound, arrogant and, by his own admission, impatient Burke.

Enjoy your stri... food during your stay in TO. ;)

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
In theory yes Snow's method will work but he doesn't hold onto players once developed because we can't afford them. Lets see what happens with PA because he went el cheapo with Bergie and Comeau so what was the point with grooming them all these years? You hold onto those guys until the kids are better than them.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
This is the general sentiment in TO. I listen to their sports talk radio, they are really down on Burke. Feel he's impatient and tried to short-circuit a rebuild by making Milbury-eque trades rather than just burn it to the ground and start from scratch (like us). They (in general) don't feel they have a solid core to build around. Most Leafs fans I hang out all say the same thing. They're tired of him and feel they, at best, have only treaded water for his 4+ years.

As I've said repeatedly in this thread, I'll take Snow 10 times out of ten over the press hound, arrogant and, by his own admission, impatient Burke.

All true about the toronto media and sentiment surrounding burke these days. But there's no way you can take Snow over Burke JKP - I refuse to believe that.

Snow's track record is, probably, the worst four years in GM history (in terms of standings, wins-losses) - granted, under some horrid circumwangstences.

Burke is everything you said, but he's far more accomplished and capable than Snow.

Mind you, there PROBABLY is a place in between Burke's way and Snow's way (see: STL, LA, NSH, FLA for starters) where you can have very good on-ice success without the flurry of excuses made by this fan base.

Let's not kid ourselves, BOTH Burke and Snow have failed miserably in the past four years. Comparing who's better of the two is a bit like looking for the hottest chick on the fat farm.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
All true about the toronto media and sentiment surrounding burke these days. But there's no way you can take Snow over Burke JKP - I refuse to believe that.

Snow's track record is, probably, the worst four years in GM history (in terms of standings, wins-losses) - granted, under some horrid circumwangstences.

Burke is everything you said, but he's far more accomplished and capable than Snow.

Mind you, there PROBABLY is a place in between Burke's way and Snow's way (see: STL, LA, NSH, FLA for starters) where you can have very good on-ice success without the flurry of excuses made by this fan base.

Let's not kid ourselves, BOTH Burke and Snow have failed miserably in the past four years. Comparing who's better of the two is a bit like looking for the hottest chick on the fat farm.

Burke is more accomplished. But IMO he is the absolute worst option for a young team.

His inability to be patient and stick to a plan are big time downfalls. In this cap era, the only way to build a team is through the draft IMO.

He traded away 2 young studs for a soft, one-dimensional goal scorer.

Can you imagine if Snow traded away the pick that eventually turned into Tavares?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

I've never been a fan of Burke. His plan is always the same no matter where he goes - deal away the farm for vets and leave the team with nothing to work with after he blows out of town. It worked once in Anaheim only because he talked Niedermayer into joining his brother and Pronger dropped into his lap out of Edmonton by dumb luck.

AndThereGoesGrabner*

He doesn't care about winning. Based on that alone, he's a terrible owner for any NHL franchise.

Just because you can't get another date, don't be so proud to show off Rosie O'Donnel at prom.

There's a better world out there. Nothing wrong with aiming higher.

You seem to not understand. Wang got that hot date but she turned out to be some greedy ho that that continously cheated on him! No real owner will take that risk of getting screwed out of money after how Wangs been screwed by all these politicians. Unless you are Bill Gates & willing to lose money as hobby!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
i would think that winning would make the franchise that much more valuable, so i disagree.

the only constructive thing that fans can do, if thety're unhappy, is to refuse to buy tickets...

THAT would be talking Wang's language

And this is what I've been saying for ten years now. Thank you!

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Burke will say or do anything to promote or enhance his own image and reputation in the media over his team, his players, his owner, etc. He's a me-first guy. Regardless of anything he has accomplished, at least we know Snow is a team player that focuses on his job instead of preening for the press.

My opinion of Snow is still forming. Clearly he hasn't had money or hands-off ownership to work with, but I like his patience and rebuilding through the draft. But I truly can't stand Burke, so to modify your analogy somewhat, I'll take the quiet, shy girl over the annoying, shrill, loud-mouthed, self-absorbed *****.

Janson

fireSNOW
Aug 5, 2007
Islander Country
In theory yes Snow's method will work but he doesn't hold onto players once developed because we can't afford them. Lets see what happens with PA because he went el cheapo with Bergie and Comeau so what was the point with grooming them all these years? You hold onto those guys until the kids are better than them.

Funny thread, not funny that I was right.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
You can't be serious ?? Middle of rebuild
Longest rebuild in hockey history. Only a few years left before Tavares gets dealt for
A B prospect and 2nd round conditional pick

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

The problem with Toronto is that the city is so large that the rather small percentage of idiots still outnumber the entire fanbase of other cities all over. This is a city that had people calling in to radio shows demanding that the team get rid of their captain and best player because the team would never go anywhere with a Swede as it's leader. The same Swede who holds franchise records for goals and points and was ultimately a first ballot hall of famer.

Never judge the competency of management on what a small sample of the most vocal say. Normally, the stupider the person, the louder they need to yell in order to make anyone listen.

As for Burke vs Snow, hopefully some people are reconsidering their stance. The Islanders don't deserve what they have gotten in the last 2 decades, and this past year (10 months) may prove to hold them back for a few years more.

The real fans should honestly come out with pitchforks and torches and demand a change.

Signed,

A fan of another long suffering team.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
The problem with Toronto is that the city is so large that the rather small percentage of idiots still outnumber the entire fanbase of other cities all over. This is a city that had people calling in to radio shows demanding that the team get rid of their captain and best player because the team would never go anywhere with a Swede as it's leader. The same Swede who holds franchise records for goals and points and was ultimately a first ballot hall of famer.

Never judge the competency of management on what a small sample of the most vocal say. Normally, the stupider the person, the louder they need to yell in order to make anyone listen.

As for Burke vs Snow, hopefully some people are reconsidering their stance. The Islanders don't deserve what they have gotten in the last 2 decades, and this past year (10 months) may prove to hold them back for a few years more.

The real fans should honestly come out with pitchforks and torches and demand a change.

Signed,

A fan of another long suffering team.

My view of Burke hasn't changed one iota. He's still an arrogant press-*****.

And I don't think the Isles are set back years by the last 10 months. I do think the Isles fan base is overreacting because:
- we made the playoffs last year and expectations were higher this year
- we're sick of losing and Wang and Snow make easy targets
- our all-world superstar got hurt playing in the Olympics and we're pissed
- Vanek is the latest pretty girl in a long line of pretty girls to spurn us
- we're still suffering from the years of psychological damage from ownership revolving door and a decade of Mike Milbury trading away every good prospect we ever had

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
You can't be serious ?? Middle of rebuild
Longest rebuild in hockey history. Only a few years left before Tavares gets dealt for
A B prospect and 2nd round conditional pick

I think people forget that Tavares has now played in 5 NHL seasons. AND the rebuild began before we got JT.

No more excuses! SNOW MUST GO!

If Snow doesn't go soon.....Tavares will go in 4 years.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I have been thinking about this one.
I don't want to get banned here
But I feel that there is one difference above all between these two.
I will abbreviate and hope to not offend anyone and if I do I am truly sorry in advance
The difference between Burke and snow is
One has b-lls
And the other has
A va---a.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad