Difference between Isles (Snow) and Leafs (Burke)

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
While Burke might be an equally bad GM as Snow in a different way, this is the key difference between the Islanders organization and one like the Leafs, which has to be accountable to its fan base.

One GM comes out a day after the season ends and says his team proved it could beat anybody because of a win here and there over playoff teams and that no significant change is necessary.....

The other GM comes out and says this:

"I want to say on behalf of the coaching staff, management and the players, I want to echo Mr. Tannenbaum's apology for our failure to deliver this year. We had a good first half, but we didn't deliver at the end. We have the best fans in the National Hockey League and all of pro sports, and we need to deliver more. That loyalty needs to be rewarded. We've played partial seasons since I've been here and it's time for this team to play a full season. Not to play 30 good games or 40 good games, or talk about if you combine this half or that half. That's not going to fly anymore."

Hmmm, any guesses as to which is which..... funny thing is that quote could be completely relevant to the Islanders as well, yet you would never hear it spoken by our GM who is content with losing year after year and trying to sell the fans on progress because his crappy team beat the Pens or Flyers once or twice.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Hmmm, any guesses as to which is which..... funny thing is that quote could be completely relevant to the Islanders as well, yet you would never hear it spoken by our GM who is content with losing year after year and trying to sell the fans on progress because his crappy team beat the Pens or Flyers once or twice.

especially if you consider that many of those high profile games, were games that nabby stole for us. We also won nearly all shootouts. This season coulda been a lot worse without nabby.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
The difference between Snow and Burke are Snow can only spend to the cap floor and Burke has carte` blanche` to spend to the cap ceiling. That being said a team near the cap ceiling only put up a 1 more point then the Islanders, and thats in a much easier division.....

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The difference between Snow and Burke are Snow can only spend to the cap floor and Burke has carte` blanche` to spend to the cap ceiling. That being said a team near the cap ceiling only put up a 1 more point then the Islanders, and thats in a much easier division.....

I was going to point out the difference is about 15M dollars of payroll

taking a few bad contracts the Islanders could pick probably have picked up in the offseason, do you think the Islanders would be a better team with say Cambell, Gomez and Komisarek. We definitely could have afforded to pick up all 3 in terms of our cap

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
especially if you consider that many of those high profile games, were games that nabby stole for us. We also won nearly all shootouts. This season coulda been a lot worse without nabby.

It can honestly go both ways. Sure, Snow shouldn't be talking about meaningless victories the day after the season ends, but that doesn't mean this organization is anywhere near similar to the Maple Leafs.

First off, if the Islanders had the same passionate fanbase as Toronto does, we'd A) most likely have a new arena deal already, and B) Wang would be spending to the cap ceiling, in which case I have a hard time believing this team's season would still be over.

This team is in the middle of a rebuild. Their goal is to develop players that can lead this team to a championship sometime in the near future. IMO, the main goal for Snow this season was to have our young guys take that next step and MAYBE scratch our way into the playoffs. Some guys did take that step, however it wasn't enough for us to make it this year.

I still think we're in very good shape for the future. Would I have liked things to go a little quicker, of course, but I'm at least glad that Snow hasn't done anything stupid like mortgaging the future for a quick fix. We are very close, IMO, to building a contender. If we can walk away from this offseason with another blue chip prospect from the draft and a veteran top-4 defenseman from UFA, I'll be content.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Burke has actually tried to make Toronto a good team by making trades but it hasn't panned out and some have even backfired on him. Snow does nothing.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
I was going to point out the difference is about 15M dollars of payroll

taking a few bad contracts the Islanders could pick probably have picked up in the offseason, do you think the Islanders would be a better team with say Cambell, Gomez and Komisarek. We definitely could have afforded to pick up all 3 in terms of our cap

I honestly do especially if the picked up Campbell ,who has been a studd this year. He is playing the way he was a few years ago.
Komisarek=Jurcina only tougher and slower
Gomez= Big LAZY player since signing his deal. Yet he still has decent vision, and a change of scenery may have did him well

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't the real difference that they are trying their hardest and the isles are only interested in treading water till there's some sort of arena resolution. Snow was an idiot for saying what he did, but Burke has done such an awful job with the leafs. I don't like snow, but I do wonder just what he can do if given a real NHL budget and isn't bring asked to circumvent the cap.

Still Snow is awful and needs to go.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
they are both pretty bad. but at least burle has a track record. i think his problem is all the accolades he had gotten in the past have gone to his head and he believes his own hype.

snow on the other hand has no experience and he has not really done anything outside of plucking some guys off of waivers. yeah we have a lot of prospects but to be a winner you need a GM that can deal a few of them away for some veteran leadership and NHL Caliber talent. snow did try with ryan smyth, and good fro him, we didnt lose anything vital, but it didnt work out.

its time to make a move. we are not going to get NHL Ready defensement from the draft and probably not through free agency either.
unless we win the draft lottery (and even if we do) i think he should use this #1 pick to get us a reliable NHL Player

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Burke has actually tried to make Toronto a good team by making trades but it hasn't panned out and some have even backfired on him. Snow does nothing.

EXACTLY!!! Many of you are missing the point of this thread...it is not about who doesnt have money to spend or the cap ceiling/floor...it is about one GM who admits failure and apologizes to his fan base and says playing half a season is no longer acceptable and another GM who is perfectly content with failure and plans to do nothing to change his loser team in to a winner.

miscreant

Jul 15, 2005
Not sure how a big, contrived, public mea culpa qualifies as 'accountability'. While I guess it's something that Burke feels he needs to put on this show to pacify the natives, it doesn't change the fact that he's accomplished just as little as Snow/Wang despite having far more resources. For both fanbases, what player moves are actually made of the summer will tell the story, not what's said or not said in April.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
EXACTLY!!! Many of you are missing the point of this thread...it is not about who doesnt have money to spend or the cap ceiling/floor...it is about one GM who admits failure and apologizes to his fan base and says playing half a season is no longer acceptable and another GM who is perfectly content with failure and plans to do nothing to change his loser team in to a winner.

Burke has been making silly trades and moves every year in Toronto. How has that worked out as far as making a winner goes.

How about the Rangers. When did they start winning? When they decided that they have to give a chance to some of their younger guys. Yes they have added a couple of pieces but they haven't subtracted from their core. They also got lucky that Montreal lots their minds for a bit

Patience is the key to building a winner. I'm glad that Snow has it. Burke has trouble building a winner. Even the Anaheim team was mostly not his doing.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
It's about results for me and not showmanship which Burke is good at. Did Lamoriello have some big announcement and apologize to the Devil fans after missing the playoffs last year? No he went out and made the playoffs this year, end of story.

TheBoss22

Apr 28, 2007
Planet Earth

Milbury has actually tried to make New York Islanders a good team by making trades but it hasn't panned out and some have even backfired on him. Snow does nothing.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

To be fair, I don't think it's snow who is content with failure. He is only saying what his boss tells him to say. It's Wang who is content with failure

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY

Who is Snow going to trade and for what?

Isles fans like to suggest that they could have gotten a 1st and top prospect for a rental like P.A. but those kinds of deals don't happen anymore.

Dose Bailey have any real value in a deal? Probably not.

Are you willing to deal Nino after just one season as a 19 year old? Strome before he plays one game as an Islander? How about Matt Donovan — arguably our best defensive prospect? Do you thing any of these players will get you Shea Weber?

Is it worth it to bankrupt the farm system on one player like Rick Nash?

As much as it sucks for all of us — based on our situation — this way, through the draft — is largely the only way. We are in a deplorable situation with regards to our arena and no clue where we will play or if we will exist beyond the next 3 seasons. we don't have the cache of an original 6 franchise, and we are just beginning to show some small signs of being competitive. And without the stability of the arena — an owner not willing to spend to the cap.

Further — outside of Parise and Suter the free agent crop is super thin, and I would rather see our own draftees knocking for an NHL spot play then shelling out $5 million per season to a marginal player.

Im glad we did not saddle ourselves with the kind of deal Ehrhoff got in Buffalo. We have our own disaster contract — we don't need another one.

Burke got pulled in by the big lights of Leaf's Nation IMO. I think he is a smarter GM then he has been. Problem is, no one in Toronto seems to have the patience to build through the draft. But that is what it takes sometimes. Just sit down, rebuild from scratch.
The Hawks did it.
The Pens did it.
The Devils did it.
The Wings did it.
These are teams with long term success because they went through long term pain. There are no guarantees, but chances are we will add another strong group of prospects to the pool. We are still 2 years out from being really good — but I think we are on the way.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
While Burke might be an equally bad GM as Snow in a different way, this is the key difference between the Islanders organization and one like the Leafs, which has to be accountable to its fan base.

One GM comes out a day after the season ends and says his team proved it could beat anybody because of a win here and there over playoff teams and that no significant change is necessary.....

The other GM comes out and says this:

"I want to say on behalf of the coaching staff, management and the players, I want to echo Mr. Wangs apology for our failure to deliver this year. We had a good first half, but we didn't deliver at the end. We have the best fans in the National Hockey League and all of pro sports, and we need to deliver more. That loyalty needs to be rewarded. We've played partial seasons since I've been here and it's time for this team to play a full season. Not to play 30 good games or 40 good games, or talk about if you combine this half or that half. That's not going to fly anymore."Hmmm, any guesses as to which is which..... funny thing is that quote could be completely relevant to the Islanders as well, yet you would never hear it spoken by our GM who is content with losing year after year and trying to sell the fans on progress because his crappy team beat the Pens or Flyers once or twice.

Accountablity goes a long way......This is what Snow should be saying....

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who is Snow going to trade and for what?

You basically have to look at who might be available and the only guy who really fits our needs that I might see available is J-Bo. In terms fo what it would take I am guessing something to the degree of De Haan/Donovan + 2 lesser but still good prospects

All that being said even if J-Bo waives his NTC, I am guessing his salary will be the main issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad