News Article: Dietz: Toews seriously considering retirement at the end of the season

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
He didn’t pin them with that salary Bowman did.
He also didn’t take the money and just lay back. He was no longer capable of being that player.
When and why did this exactly happen? Because he had one good season after the signing. The 6 seasons prior to the contract and the 6 season after are just about the same # of games and very similar TOI.

I'm still leaning towards concussion/depression issues when you listen to him

Bowman may have overpaid a bit, maybe not. The point is the contract became an anchor because of 19's play after signing it.

And if you claim that you would walk away from 10 or 20 or 40 million dollars on principle let me be the 1st to call you a liar.
Let me respond, if you think those contracts aren't fully insured let me the first one to call you naiive

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
When and why did this exactly happen? Because he had one good season after the signing. The 6 seasons prior to the contract and the 6 season after are just about the same # of games and very similar TOI.

I'm still leaning towards concussion/depression issues when you listen to him

Bowman may have overpaid a bit, maybe not. The point is the contract became an anchor because of 19's play after signing it.

Let me respond, if you think those contracts aren't fully insured let me the first one to call you naiive
If a player could simply walk away and collect their money when injured many more would do it.
The team carries the insurance not the player. If he sits on LTIR he gets paid and the team files a claim. If he walks away …

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
The post I replied to claimed Toews pinned the team with that contract. I felt he didn’t. Thanks for agreeing with me.

My comments on that contract are:

- Toews/Kane got paid that contract in large part because of what they had accomplished and the championships they helped bring to the city after a long championship drought.
- When they were offered that contract and both signed, I don’t think anybody could foresee the lack of production Toews would provide over the length of the contract.
-Likewise, nobody could foresee the health problems that Toews would develop in the later years.
- Soon after Kane got the new contract, he went and won the Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson awards all in one season. Can’t ask for much more than that.
- Hossa having to retire played a big role in the decline of the overall team play as well in my opinion. One of the best two way hockey players Ive ever seen play the game. Could have won several Selkes if he was a centerman imo.

One can only hope for a dead last finish and hopefully lotto luck to land Bedard or at the very least a top 3 draft choice.

Last edited:

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
My comments on that contract are:

- Toews/Kane got paid that contract in large part because of what they had accomplished and the championships they helped bring to the city after a long championship drought.
- When they were offered that contract and both signed, I don’t think anybody could foresee the lack of production Toews would provide over the length of the contract.
-Likewise, nobody could foresee the health problems that Toews would develop in the later years.
- Soon after Kane got the new contract, he went and won the Hart, Art Ross, Lester B. Pearson awards all in one season. Can’t ask for much more than that.
- Hossa having to retire played a big role in the decline of the overall team play as well in my opinion. One of the best two way hockey players Ive ever seen play the game. Could have won several Selkes if he was a centerman imo.

One can only hope for a dead last finish and hopefully lotto luck to land Bedard or at the very least a top 3 draft choice.
All this is very true. At the same time Toews decline in play did not significantly hinder any chances of the Blackhawks competing again because of the lack of development in our next crop coming in and bad trades. If Bowman sat on his hands instead of trying to be the smartest guy in the room who knows what would have happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: scorehawks

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The post I replied to claimed Toews pinned the team with that contract. I felt he didn’t. Thanks for agreeing with me.
We do agree on that.

And you responded to another reply that Bowman may have overpaid him. Rocky and/or McD wrote that contract for the most part, not Bowman, and it's the same with almost every single major contract in pro sports.
GMs almost never get to make the calls on franchise players like Toews. We're going to see this all again soon, and the gm is going to be given too much credit or blame on the major moves and spends. GMs don't get to pick who the "franchise players" will be.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
With his assist on Saturday, Toews recorded his 881st career point in the regular season, combined with his 119 career playoff points he now has 1000 points!!! He’s reached that 1000 point mark as far as I’m concerned

With his assist on Saturday, Toews recorded his 881st career point in the regular season, combined with his 119 career playoff points he now has 1000 points!!! He’s reached that 1000 point mark as far as I’m concerned
And he went 8/12 in the faceoff dot

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Toews should be proud COVID didn't finish him and he was able to return to play a few games at the end...but he should really call it a career now, he looks baddd.

-4 against the Wild.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
50pt pace playing with dog shit players every night while trying to fight through his health issues. Ya, just terrible.
50 point pace LOL, means squat if you can't play!

He was on pace for 75 points through the first dozen games, meaning he had 19 points in last 40 games played. That's a 38 point pace, like last year.

That is his new normal. Done.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
50 point pace LOL, means squat if you can't play!

He was on pace for 75 points through the first dozen games, meaning he had 19 points in last 40 games played. That's a 38 point pace, like last year.

That is his new normal. Done.
Lol it means he can play, just not at the level he used to.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Not surprising information.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1681394966219.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681394966219.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 3

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I absolutely hate the wording of that press release. "We won't be re-signing him this offseason" is not the wording you use for someone who saved the franchise, legend and will have his jersey retired one day.
Meh, they are being honest and already told him that. Apparently the same conversation was had with Kane.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That must mean he's not retiring. Think we'd see a very different announcement if that were the case.

Davidson isn't messing around.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I absolutely hate the wording of that press release. "We won't be re-signing him this offseason" is not the wording you use for someone who saved the franchise, legend and will have his jersey retired one day.

They want him to have a final sendoff

There is no other way to do it with him still unsure if he will continue NHL career going forward

Sad and truly end of era

That must mean he's not retiring. Think we'd see a very different announcement if that were the case.

Davidson isn't messing around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad