News Article: Dietz: Toews seriously considering retirement at the end of the season

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Ya genius I don’t want him to come back and possibly ruin the last place position, I don’t want him to injure himself further, and if we do get Beddard maybe that will actually motivate him to make a true come back.
The team will still be last place caliber with 2023 Toews on it, he's not injured he's sick, and the chance he's playing beyond this season is extremely low regardless.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What a pathetic existence he must live to be permanently negative on a hockey board.
The part about always being negative made KBS pop in my head and made me realize I haven’t seen him in a while. What happened to that guy?

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The part about always being negative made KBS pop in my head and made me realize I haven’t seen him in a while. What happened to that guy?
Hopefully everything is alright. But he did state many times he needed a break from here.
My guess is around Draft lottery time we will see him around these parts again.

Reactions: hawksrule

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Hopefully everything is alright. But he did state many times he needed a break from here.

He's around. Most likely just lurking here. He's posting over on soxtalk regularly still.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

He's said that for years. I'm actually happy for once he's followed up on his word. But like CH10 said, he's good. Still posts on ST.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Heard Jonny postgame on WGN radio. As unlistenable as Ozzie Guillen was after a Sox loss. AA interview was better.

Back and forth between the time off was a problem and the time off was good for recovery depending on the question asked. UGH

Asked him how it felt to be back, no enthusiasm in his voice, no Great to be back with the guys! Focused on the fact that there were a lot of new faces and it takes time for players to trust where everyone will be etc. We get that! Debbie Downer extraordinaire last night.

Then he went on to say how he is looking to build off this game and improve through the end of the season. Dude! there's like 6 games left then summertime.

The only cure or path to improvement is if this is mentally driven. If it is a physical affliction and hasn't been corrected as of yet by the top doctors at his disposal, I'm afraid that this is where it ends.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Heard Jonny postgame on WGN radio. As unlistenable as Ozzie Guillen was after a Sox loss. AA interview was better.

Back and forth between the time off was a problem and the time off was good for recovery depending on the question asked. UGH

Asked him how it felt to be back, no enthusiasm in his voice, no Great to be back with the guys! Focused on the fact that there were a lot of new faces and it takes time for players to trust where everyone will be etc. We get that! Debbie Downer extraordinaire last night.

Then he went on to say how he is looking to build off this game and improve through the end of the season. Dude! there's like 6 games left then summertime.

The only cure or path to improvement is if this is mentally driven. If it is a physical affliction and hasn't been corrected as of yet by the top doctors at his disposal, I'm afraid that this is where it ends.
Toews is incapable of speaking with enthusiasm. This is nothing new.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Toews is incapable of speaking with enthusiasm. This is nothing new.
I know, but last night was brutal to listen to. Being Captain serious isn't mutually exclusive of showing enthusiasm or joy.

Maybe down deep he really never wanted to be a hockey player, just an odd way of presenting himself.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I know, but last night was brutal to listen to.

Maybe down deep he really never wanted to be a hockey player, just an odd way of presenting himself.
He's been trained since like the age of sixteen to say a bunch of words and nothing at the same time. Outside of a weird stretch where he kept putting his foot in his mouth this has been his modus operandi his entire career.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Toews always reminded me of Jeter in that way. When Jeter and Arod were both on the Yankees, it was amazing because Jeter was the most vanilla interview ever and Arod was an open book.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Toews always reminded me of Jeter in that way. When Jeter and Arod were both on the Yankees, it was amazing because Jeter was the most vanilla interview ever and Arod was an open book.
Just gets tougher to swallow that crap when the player hasn't done squat in years and pins the team with salary cap issues.

Reactions: hawksrule

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Just gets tougher to swallow that crap when the player hasn't done squat in years and pins the team with salary cap issues.
He didn’t pin them with that salary Bowman did.
He also didn’t take the money and just lay back. He was no longer capable of being that player.

And if you claim that you would walk away from 10 or 20 or 40 million dollars on principle let me be the 1st to call you a liar.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
He was actually pretty good in the 3rd period when he was moved up to center AA and Reichel. I hope they keep this combo together for rest of year, it would be good for Reichel and maybe actually fun to watch.

Reactions: Thucydides

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
He didn’t pin them with that salary Bowman did.
He also didn’t take the money and just lay back. He was no longer capable of being that player.

And if you claim that you would walk away from 10 or 20 or 40 million dollars on principle let me be the 1st to call you a liar.
Bowman never could have approved a contract that large and no GM, (not even the extra special ones) would have completed spending 168million of the boss' money 6 days before a convention in the middle of summer without marching orders. No GM or President has had that much authority. Plenty of stuff Bowman actually did (or didn't do) that deserves criticism.

Danny and Dad are going to direct the front office to do some stupid stuff the next few years as the money stuff and public perception gets more interesting. I'll be eating crow or bashing KD as time plays out, but there will be plenty of stuff that is far out of the gm's hands and we shouldn't lose site of that like we did with several of the last 5 hockey ops regimes.

The Owner and his top guys and gals deserve alot more scrutiny about the mistakes than they have, and you can bet the decision to keep Toews around or to let him go is for ownership to decide rather than one of the minions in the gm office.

Shame to see Toews struggle so much the last few years. I'm already getting a headache (for years from now) from all the EC writers and media types claiming he's severely overrated when he's nominated to HOF, in part, because of how bad the last few seasons have been for him.

Hope he gets healthy or moves on from the ice.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Bowman never could have approved a contract that large and no GM, (not even the extra special ones) would have completed spending 168million of the boss' money 6 days before a convention in the middle of summer without marching orders. No GM or President has had that much authority. Plenty of stuff Bowman actually did (or didn't do) that deserves criticism.

Danny and Dad are going to direct the front office to do some stupid stuff the next few years as the money stuff and public perception gets more interesting. I'll be eating crow or bashing KD as time plays out, but there will be plenty of stuff that is far out of the gm's hands and we shouldn't lose site of that like we did with several of the last 5 hockey ops regimes.

The Owner and his top guys and gals deserve alot more scrutiny about the mistakes than they have, and you can bet the decision to keep Toews around or to let him go is for ownership to decide rather than one of the minions in the gm office.

Shame to see Toews struggle so much the last few years. I'm already getting a headache (for years from now) from all the EC writers and media types claiming he's severely overrated when he's nominated to HOF, in part, because of how bad the last few seasons have been for him.

Hope he gets healthy or moves on from the ice.
The post I replied to claimed Toews pinned the team with that contract. I felt he didn’t. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad