News Article: Dietz: Toews seriously considering retirement at the end of the season

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Bad mojo.

Openly announcing you have no plan on bringing back one of the guys responsible for bringing your dead organization back to life looks really bad. I can't see Pittsburgh doing something like this to Crosby.

Toews should have been given every opportunity to retire a Blackhawk. Unless he's retiring and hasn't announced it.

Anybody who doesn't think Toews goes to a Cup contender next year and plays his ass off isn't a Toews fan.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
That must mean he's not retiring. Think we'd see a very different announcement if that were the case.

Davidson isn't messing around.
easy to strip it to the ground and be terrible, clock will soon be ticking on davidson to show these decisions are good ones, i'm okay with him starting from scratch, but this team badly needs real franchise building blocks like Bedard etc to make this worth it...if we do all this to come out on the other side looking like Philly or any other perpetual rebuilding team then we look really stupid

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
A press release the morning of the last game of the year stating that the Captain of the team will not be coming back. So fans should buy tickets and give Toews a really good send off !!

Stay classy Chicago Blackhawks !!

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bad mojo.

Openly announcing you have no plan on bringing back one of the guys responsible for bringing your dead organization back to life looks really bad. I can't see Pittsburgh doing something like this to Crosby.

Toews should have been given every opportunity to retire a Blackhawk. Unless he's retiring and hasn't announced it.

Anybody who doesn't think Toews goes to a Cup contender next year and plays his ass off isn't a Toews fan.
Nah, they are doing the right thing with not bringing T & K back. End the era and get started on the next one.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I absolutely hate the wording of that press release. "We won't be re-signing him this offseason" is not the wording you use for someone who saved the franchise, legend and will have his jersey retired one day.
Toews had an exceptional, but not perfect, run with the Hawks. His decline over the last few years kept the Hawks from competing. I’m not surprised that 19’s ending isn’t ”perfect” either, and that mgmt isn’t out with the total kid gloves treatment.

PS: The Hawks got close to “storybook” ”team for the ages” “dynasty” that four champeenships would have brought them but it wasn’t Toews that cost them that, but unlucky Nick Leddy when the puck somehow got through him in the Kings game. Had the Hawks gotten through the Kings and the core won four, I think there would be less “what could have beens” with the showtime Hawks. A dynasty in my book is four championships by the same core, and the Hawks came very close to that but still short.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
people assume this team would've won 3 in a row but that team might not have got past anaheim if they won the cup in 14, they knew that was the last time together with that group and it showed a lot in 15

Reactions: LavalPhantom

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Toews had an exceptional, but not perfect, run with the Hawks. His decline over the last few years kept the Hawks from competing. I’m not surprised that 19’s ending isn’t ”perfect” either, and that mgmt isn’t out with the total kid gloves treatment.

PS: The Hawks got close to “storybook” ”team for the ages” “dynasty” that four champeenships would have brought them but it wasn’t Toews that cost them that, but unlucky Nick Leddy when the puck somehow got through him in the Kings game. Had the Hawks gotten through the Kings and the core won four, I think there would be less “what could have beens” with the showtime Hawks. A dynasty in my book is four championships by the same core, and the Hawks came very close to that but still short.

The tying goal was grossly offside before you could challenge that. Like 1-2 feet offside. That is what grinds my gears.

Reactions: Malaka

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nah, the GMs shitty trades and signings is what kept them from competing.

TJBrocker

May 6, 2019
I just think he hasn't completely decided if he wants to play next year or not, and if he does would rather try again with a contender.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
all Stan had to do was stand pat after 2017, take the Hossa LTIR money and put it to use to replace some depth and see where it went, he made a rash decision and ultimately it was the undoing of the team

Reactions: Muffinalt

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
all Stan had to do was stand pat after 2017, take the Hossa LTIR money and put it to use to replace some depth and see where it went, he made a rash decision and ultimately it was the undoing of the team
To accomplish what? Many here at the time pointed out the Hawks were a 1 line team being held by Crawford that 16-17 year. Sticking with that with age and injuries piling up would of been no better.

Toews, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook and crow too were all getting worse or more injured. The 1 line pair of Panarin and Kane wouldn't of changed that collapse any more than it just hadn't.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
To accomplish what? Many here at the time pointed out the Hawks were a 1 line team being held by Crawford that 16-17 year. Sticking with that with age and injuries piling up would of been no better.

Toews, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook and crow too were all getting worse or more injured. The 1 line pair of Panarin and Kane wouldn't of changed that collapse any more than it just hadn't.

Still would've been better to give them a last proper chance, instead of ultimately dismantling the team.

It's hindsight and I was more of a fan of his than not, but Stan really f***ed up. Trading away gamebreaking talent in Panarin is what killed us.

I think they didn't see how fast Debrincat would be good either.

You could've had three lines built around Kane, Panarin, Toews and Debrincat, plus the depth. Needing to fortify the defense yes, but still there picks and players like Schmaltz etc to do that with.

But they overreacted to the Nashville sweep, made rash decisions and the slowing down core was not able to mitigate for that.

Such a pity. I think we had more in us.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

are you defending stan here? can't possibly be

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
are you defending stan here? can't possibly be
No, they should of gone all in for futures in thr trade instead of a retool.

But fans acting like there ews any hope to continue something with thay core then is silly.

Of anything, ghe summer 2015 decisions are the issue not the 2017. It was already too late by then. You're literally just wishing the Hawks played out like Pittsburgh the last few years. Not sure that's much better than what happened.

Reactions: belfour30

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Not an opinion shared by many but even when I watch Panarin now, I don’t feel like he is overly effective in the playoffs and isn’t the guy that gets you there. Don’t think we would’ve done much else with him but I do wish the trade return was way different.

Hoping he proves me wrong this year, as I’d love to see Kaner get another Cup.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
No, they should of gone all in for futures in thr trade instead of a retool.

But fans acting like there ews any hope to continue something with thay core then is silly.

Of anything, ghe summer 2015 decisions are the issue not the 2017. It was already too late by then. You're literally just wishing the Hawks played out like Pittsburgh the last few years. Not sure that's much better than what happened.
you dont go all in for futures after winning the west, you focus on pro scouting and development and fix the issues as best as possible

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Not an opinion shared by many but even when I watch Panarin now, I don’t feel like he is overly effective in the playoffs and isn’t the guy that gets you there. Don’t think we would’ve done much else with him but I do wish the trade return was way different.

I don’t completely disagree, but Saad was not good in his second stint here. Was a really bad trade.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Rangers needed Eichel in the worst way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad