Did you want Pacioretty gone?

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
Yes. He clearly didn't want to be here anymore. Happy to see him go, even happier with the return. Plus he looked like Dr. Oz...pissed me off a bit

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
at this point, yes. he's redundant on a rebuilding team, and imho should never have been named captain. way too streaky, moody and thin-skinned for the role. that being said, bergevin f***ed this team up...hopefully suzuki amounts to something

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Pacioretty was and is a fantastic player. Not many goal-scoring wingers are as complete as he is at defense and transition play and he was consistently a high value asset for Montreal.

That said, I'm happy he got traded, because Montreal is going nowhere and needs to rebuild, so the last good years of Pacioretty's career should be somewhere else where they'd have some value. Trading him does put a cap on how thoroughly MB has wasted the good situation he walked into in 2013 though, with all the best assets except Gallagher he inheireted either traded for subpar return or on bad contracts (both in the case of Subban to Weber).

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
His record always surprises me, he’s so wishy washy, never saw the leadership aspect, said the right sound bites (much like a politician) but never showed anything. Nice guy by all accounts. A leader to me is Gally who shows up every shift and makes everyone on his line play better. Pacioretty always came across as lazy as he expects everyone to do the work and he just stands waiting. I’m glad he’s gone as he frustrated the hell out of me

Reactions: sbhatt

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Always liked him but he's not a difference maker, he needs someone on his line to get him going and we could never provide that for him here in MTL.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
His record always surprises me, he’s so wishy washy, never saw the leadership aspect, said the right sound bites (much like a politician) but never showed anything. Nice guy by all accounts. A leader to me is Gally who shows up every shift and makes everyone on his line play better. Pacioretty always came across as lazy as he expects everyone to do the work and he just stands waiting. I’m glad he’s gone as he frustrated the hell out of me
Pacs was Michael Ryder with a little more speed, slightly better shot, and more commitment to D

Reactions: Kojo

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't want him gone but the situation had gotten untenable...

Other than that...Max Pacioretty's value moving forward and the Montreal Canadiens situation moving forward, were not the same.
Really?

The Habs needed to cash in, as much as they could, now...before Pacioretty turned into another Tomas Plekanec for them.
That was never going to happen. Plekanec was re-signed because of the position the team was in. It would make no sense to re-sign him given our current situation. I think Bergevin did not want to admit he was headed in for an inevitable rebuild, so he still opted to improve his team and extended Price, but after missing out this summer on the big fish, he was stuck in a corner and he doesn't have much of a choice left.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
Hell yes...I wanted him gone a year ago. He's a guy who takes a lot of games off; while many goalscorers are streaky, he seemed to pout and float around doing nothing productive during his slumps. He was eternally frustrating to me because he is a bigger guy, yet he almost never ventured out of the perimeter and into the slot for a better scoring chance. Max's game was softer than baby sh!t, and he had the charisma of a wet paper bag. Good riddance!

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He was also smarter player and played the PK.

So essentially, he's pretty freaking different than Ryder...:biglaugh:
Meh, overall they were just good snipers that never drove the play and stuck to the permiter

I didn't find Pacs very smart, actually the more time and space he had the worse play he'd make and his PK was overrated

Ryder was actually better in the playoffs come to think of it

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No idea. I find it difficult that we flip him for picks or more prospects at this point. If he has a good season, we keep him. If he has a bad season, we trade him for cheap? I rather keep him cause we need his shot with both Galchenyuk and Patch gone. Trade him in his last year if you ask me
No. We do not need his shot. Having guys to help us win games isn't our current priority.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Meh, overall they were just good snipers that never drove the play and stuck to the permiter

I didn't find Pacs very smart, actually the more time and space he had the worse play he'd make and his PK was overrated

Well I disagree. Patches was a better player overall, there isn't much to debate over this in my view.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Well I disagree. Patches was a better player overall, there isn't much to debate over this in my view.
He was no doubt a better version of Ryder but same style of player, neither really had another gear

It's not his fault Molson and MB left him to be the catalyst and leader, that was never going to be his thing

He'll do well in Vegas without the pressure and surrounded by some talent

Reactions: OldCraig71

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yes, it was time to move on. We are not contending, the guy is 30, a pending UFA and was running out of favor within the organization. Parting ways was the right choice for both the team and the player.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He was no doubt a better version of Ryder but same style of player, neither really had another gear

It's not his fault Molson and MB left him to be the catalyst and leader, that was never going to be his thing

He'll do well in Vegas without the pressure and surrounded by some talent
I don't think they were identical at all really. Ryder got a lot of his points off the PP. I think he only twice in his career broke the 40-50 ES pt mark. Pacioretty regularly did it.
They both had very good shots and were snipers. That is where the similarity stops though.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yes. Not because he's a bad player, not because a championship team can't use him, not because he's no longer a 30 goal scorer: none of those things are true, IMO. It's because we're not a championship team with him, even with several significant additions. This core has failed, and thus it is time to build a new one. To do that, we need to move our valuable mature assets for futures. By trading Pacioretty, Bergevin did something for which I have been vehemently arguing for a very long time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes that's correct, in different circumstances, I'd want to keep Pacioretty.

I thought the Habs should move Pacioretty because the situation became untenable and the team is going in a different direction.

If I thought it was possible, I'd also want them to move Price and Weber...but that's not happening for many reasons.

That was never going to happen. Plekanec was re-signed because of the position the team was in. It would make no sense to re-sign him given our current situation. I think Bergevin did not want to admit he was headed in for an inevitable rebuild, so he still opted to improve his team and extended Price, but after missing out this summer on the big fish, he was stuck in a corner and he doesn't have much of a choice left.
And it didn't make sense to re-sign Plek when they did either - in fact, when they did re-sign him, it had already been 2yrs past the time they should have actually traded him.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Pacioretty is fantastic on the rush, if you give him time with the puck to make passes and decisions or put him on the PP then he is lost.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I wanted him gone because hopefully it signals an end to MB's reign of terror. This might be the last move in completely dismantling/destroying the habs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes we do need his shot or you will be complaining all season we are getting shutout and we should be at least be able to score a goal a game in our losses. ;)
I'll be happy if we get shutout.
Where you can argue that I should want him to score is so it raises his value, to which I'd say you have a point. But you are terrible at arguing and making strong points..so can't say I'm surprised you missed an obvious one here. ;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes that's correct, in different circumstances, I'd want to keep Pacioretty.

I thought the Habs should move Pacioretty because the situation became untenable and the team is going in a different direction.

If I thought it was possible, I'd also want them to move Price and Weber...but that's not happening for many reasons.
Sure, given things would be different.
And it didn't make sense to re-sign Plek when they did either - in fact, when they did re-sign him, it had already been 2yrs past the time they should have actually traded him.
Won't get into that nonsense again.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It was quite obviously time to move on.

IF, if that’s a big IF, there was a bigger story there and we chose keeping Max over PK Subban a few summers ago...that will go down as one of the worst and damaging moves in CH history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad