Did you want Pacioretty gone?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Coming from someone who doesn’t follow the Habs much I’m curious if the fans wanted him gone or thought he should be.
What caused this? Where did he go wrong with the Habs?

Cheers!

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I dont thinks it as much about if we wanted him gone, but more why we needed him to go. It has been clear for a couple of years now that the Habs needed to throw a stick of dynamite into this team and blow it up for a rebuild., Patches is just part of that process. Unfortunately we just need to be prepared for a couple of more years of sub par hockey until we start seeing some of the prospects we have acquired to start coming up and being effective players. We will need to be patient.......very, very patient.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
For the return we got... YES! It's not about how this team looks in the next 2 or 3 years, it's about how our Gallagher and under core looks (including the prospect pool). This trade helped our rebuild process.

Think that Tatar will be flipped for picks or a prospect or 2? Or will he be a good use?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Seems to be a nice guy and was kind enough to sign my son's stick. No issues with him on a personal level.

As a player, his expiry date was met. Had an off-year and with our current team, likely another which will plummet his value more IMO. He gave us some great regular seasons so I wish him the best in Vegas.

I'm happy with our return. I've always liked Suzuki and Tatar isn't bad.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
The current situation the team is in, yes I wanted him traded. I still like Pacioretty, but the amount of money he will get and the direction the team is going I didn't think he should be on the team.

I would have gladly re-signed him if the cap hit/term wasn't too much (it'll be interesting to see what Vegas signs him for), but I'm also pretty happy with the return.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
as a person.. nice guy no issues
as a player... wanted him gone. I did not want him to resign for the money he was chasing. Not worth it.

Happy with the trade. Just need to get rid of Marc

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I wanted him traded 3 or 4 years ago. It was clear even back then that he was never going to be a guy who performed in the clutch so in my mind he was as useless as his regular season scoring numbers. If you can't replicate those results in the post-season when it matters, you may as well have scored no goals because the end result is the same. Then, as now, we had a surplus of wingers and needs in other areas. Max represented our best tradable asset to address those needs.

Reactions: Capitano and SOLR

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I didn't want him gone but the situation had gotten untenable...

Other than that...Max Pacioretty's value moving forward and the Montreal Canadiens situation moving forward, were not the same.

The Habs needed to cash in, as much as they could, now...before Pacioretty turned into another Tomas Plekanec for them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yes. He was never the right choice for captain and the problems started after he was named, imo. He couldn’t captain the team to show much life during our historic collapse, and was always leaving you wanting more in the playoffs.

It was time to part ways imo, and the return we got just makes it better.

Reactions: PhysicX and TRG

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
For a while now, yes. I haven't liked where his game was heading and i was sure he was going to ask for too much money based on how much he got in his 1st deal.

There's a reason why Patches has never been a good PP player, Patches just takes a spot from someone else on the PP and ruins the unit. He's never been able to make a crisp pass through sticks and he has no puck handling abilities.. don't really wanna pay someone 7M+ when he's god awful on the PP. He's a ES/PK player.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I didn't want him gone as much as most people. It depended on the return, Vilardi got me salivating, but Suzuki is great too.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes, since it's clear the team needed a scorched earth rebuild. An ideal scenario would see Weber and Price moved as well. The team was in rough shape at all levels, from prospects, farm team, nhl team, coaching, development, senior staff. Really top to bottom organization failure.

Pacioretty needed to go to continue the rebuild.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yes, Guy Lafleur said it best 4 years ago

Despite falling two wins shy of reaching the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1993, the Montreal Canadiens’ 2013-14 season was considered a success on many levels.

For Guy Lafleur, however, it wasn’t a success. The Canadiens legend pointed to forwards Max Pacioretty and Thomas Vanek as to why the group fell short of a championship.

“It’s not enough to be happy with a good season. You don’t play hockey to have a good season. You play to win the Stanley Cup. Let’s be objective,” Lafleur told La Presse in French. “Guys like Vanek and Pacioretty, you don’t keep these guys on your team. They should stay home if they’re not ready to pay the price. Your team will never win with players like this who fade when confronted by adversity.”

Reactions: PhysicX

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
When it became apparent that being the Captain detrimentally affected his play, Patches should have relinquished the title and responsibility for the good of the organization. For that, I wanted him gonzo.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Despite falling two wins shy of reaching the Stanley Cup Final for the first time since 1993, the Montreal Canadiens’ 2013-14 season was considered a success on many levels.

For Guy Lafleur, however, it wasn’t a success. The Canadiens legend pointed to forwards Max Pacioretty and Thomas Vanek as to why the group fell short of a championship.

“It’s not enough to be happy with a good season. You don’t play hockey to have a good season. You play to win the Stanley Cup. Let’s be objective,” Lafleur told La Presse in French. “Guys like Vanek and Pacioretty, you don’t keep these guys on your team. They should stay home if they’re not ready to pay the price. Your team will never win with players like this who fade when confronted by adversity.”

When numbnuts speaks about 'paying the price', did he ever break his neck in a playoff game? Guess he didn't have time when smoking a cig between periods?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
The Canadiens were never going to win a cup with Pacioretty as their best player, so yes.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Well, his nicknames included Casperetty & Patioready. His former coach Therrien allegedly called him 'the worst captain in MTL Canadiens history'...and he was probably right for once.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Yes, since it's clear the team needed a scorched earth rebuild. An ideal scenario would see Weber and Price moved as well. The team was in rough shape at all levels, from prospects, farm team, nhl team, coaching, development, senior staff. Really top to bottom organization failure.

Pacioretty needed to go to continue the rebuild.
To offload both Price and Weber, Bergevin has to eat at least $3M annually of both players' contracts. Price would then cost his new team $7.5M maximum annually and Weber about $5M maximum annually. Price landing in Philly would boost the Flyers' Stanley Cup aspirations.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Think that Tatar will be flipped for picks or a prospect or 2? Or will he be a good use?

No idea. I find it difficult that we flip him for picks or more prospects at this point. If he has a good season, we keep him. If he has a bad season, we trade him for cheap? I rather keep him cause we need his shot with both Galchenyuk and Patch gone. Trade him in his last year if you ask me

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

This. 1000 times this.

Lafleur knows that the goal isn't to "be competitive" or "compete for a playoff spot". You either win the Cup or your season is a pathetic failure and people need to get fired or traded. That is the standard. You accept less than that (or in the Habs' case, accept less than that before the season even begins) you have no business being in the organization. Max was the living embodiment of everything that's gone wrong with the Habs over the past 25 years. They no longer strive to be exceptional. They're happy with just being pretty good. They'd rather dream about winning Cups than demanding them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00