Did we forget about Josh Leivo?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Why does Leivo have to be in the top 6 or he can't play lol? That's just stupid. He doesn't have to beat out JVR, Nylander, Marner, Hyman..... or Marleau lol that's just ridiculous. He has to beat Brown, Kappy, Johnsson, Martin, and Komarov. Unfortunately it seems Johnsson has passed him so there's just no room for him this season (shouldn't be any room for Komarov either....)

Next season when 3 winger spots are open (if Nylander plays centre) he will have a spot.

Not even certain of that to be honest, there is a chance leafs add a UFA or 2, plus we don’t know if other prospects like Grundstrum or Koshkov will play and impress, but he certainly has a much better chance

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
27x7fj.jpg

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why does Leivo have to be in the top 6 or he can't play lol? That's just stupid. He doesn't have to beat out JVR, Nylander, Marner, Hyman..... or Marleau lol that's just ridiculous. He has to beat Brown, Kappy, Johnsson, Martin, and Komarov. Unfortunately it seems Johnsson has passed him so there's just no room for him this season (shouldn't be any room for Komarov either....)

Next season when 3 winger spots are open (if Nylander plays centre) he will have a spot.

The think is, Brown Kappy, Johnsson and Komarov have utility (PK skills) that Leivo lacks, so yes, he does have to replace one of the non-PKing forwards to play. But yes, unless the team hires some UFAs over the summer that are clearly improvements on what he offers, he will have a good chance at 1 or 2 positions (the second should Nylander be moved to center). Still, with up and comers with size like Engvall (PPG for the Marlies), Marchment (steady rise up the depth chart) and Korshkov (hopefully we'll see what he's capable of next year) potentially filling the role that he would occupy in coming years, I'm less concerned about the leafs having to breaking the bank paying for a UFA winger with decent size moving forwards if they do decide to let Leivo go.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
The think is, Brown Kappy, Johnsson and Komarov have utility (PK skills) that Leivo lacks, so yes, he does have to replace one of the non-PKing forwards to play. But yes, unless the team hires some UFAs over the summer that are clearly improvements on what he offers, he will have a good chance at 1 or 2 positions (the second should Nylander be moved to center). Still, with up and comers with size like Engvall (PPG for the Marlies), Marchment (steady rise up the depth chart) and Korshkov (hopefully we'll see what he's capable of next year) potentially filling the role that he would occupy in coming years, I'm less concerned about the leafs having to breaking the bank paying for a UFA winger with decent size moving forwards if they do decide to let Leivo go.

How many PKers does one team need? We already have Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Plakenec, and Johnsson or Komorav. Thats 5 on any given night. That means even if one PK player is in the box you still have 2 sets of forwards for the PK.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
How many PKers does one team need? We already have Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, Plakenec, and Johnsson or Komorav. Thats 5 on any given night. That means even if one PK player is in the box you still have 2 sets of forwards for the PK.

Alternatively, how many pure goalscorers does a team need? Because Leivo offers nothing else.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Alternatively, how many pure goalscorers does a team need? Because Leivo offers nothing else.
Fair point, however the Leafs average like what, 3 penalties per game? That's about 6 minutes of PK time leaving 54 minutes for potential scoring . The ultimate goal in hockey is too score the most goals (as evidence by the players who can attribute to that goal being rewarded with more pay). While there's probably diminishing returns in terms of how many scorers are needed on a team. I know I'd rather have more pure scorers than PKers

And quite frankly, we haven't even reached peak efficiency as we're 5th in the league in GF and 7th in the standings. Regardless I do see your point.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The Leafs have a mountain of talented young wingers. Leivo has just gotten crowded out. It is a good problem to have for the Leafs, just shitty for Leivo.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Fair point, however the Leafs average like what, 3 penalties per game? That's about 6 minutes of PK time leaving 54 minutes for potential scoring . The ultimate goal in hockey is too score the most goals (as evidence by the players who can attribute to that goal being rewarded with more pay). While there's probably diminishing returns in terms of how many scorers are needed on a team. I know I'd rather have more pure scorers than PKers

And quite frankly, we haven't even reached peak efficiency as we're 5th in the league in GF and 7th in the standings. Regardless I do see your point.

Being 5th in GF and 20th in GA suggests to me that we could do with fewer goals against. I dont see Leivo as a great defensive forward. While our PK is good, our 5v5 team defense needs improvement.

Reactions: glue

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Leivo is pretty much Panik 2.0, got the size, and skill to play but just lacks opportunity in Leafs.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't get the point -- can you not say the same for the other wingers currently in the lineup right now.. ?

Yes and no

I like the idea of not changing some established lines like

hym/Matt/willi
Marl/Kad/Marn

so what does that leave?

Brown/Kappy/Leivo/Johan for 2 winger slots. 50/50 shot at babs trying it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I really don't understand the love for the guy.

I've forgotten. RIP

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I am pretty sure in two thousand years there will be someone making a "Did we forget about Josh Leivo" thread. Almost like a "Home Alone" movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00