Did we forget about Josh Leivo?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think he's been passed, but I mean it's hard to not expect him to get passed by people that are actually getting regular playing time. He'll be a regular next year. He'll get time in the playoffs if there are injuries.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think he's been passed, but I mean it's hard to not expect him to get passed by people that are actually getting regular playing time. He'll be a regular next year. He'll get time in the playoffs if there are injuries.
He is not going to make the team next year as a regular or maybe not at all. I see him traded or waived.

He will not see any playoff time as we will use Johnsson ahead of him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm a big Leivo fan. I thought he looked good when he got a chance to play. He has produced relatively well given that he has mostly been given limited minutes on the 4th line.

He's certainly better than Komarov and Hyman. Hopefully there will be room for him next year without JVR and Komarov (and Martin).
He is not better than either of them. If he was he would be playing. Choosing Hyman is a joke..he has more points then many of our players all 5 on 5 or on the pk. Levio is a spare forward and will likely get his last NHL chance next year but likely elsewhere.

Reactions: WILDLIFEGUY

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's certainly better than Komarov and Hyman. Hopefully there will be room for him next year without JVR and Komarov (and Martin).

In no way is Leivo as good as Hyman. Hyman is faster, works harder, is much better defensively, an elite pker, etc. It doesn't help that he can't adjust to Babcock's system, and struggles to play a positionally sound game

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I'm a big Leivo fan. I thought he looked good when he got a chance to play. He has produced relatively well given that he has mostly been given limited minutes on the 4th line.

Leivo is NOT better than Hyman, offensively? Possibly but not a better player

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i don't know why they didn't just move him , Babcock never liked him and will never give him a chance

he's a much better player than that useless slug Hyman but coach's kids are always guaranteed ice time with the teams most skilled players

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
He is not better than either of them. If he was he would be playing. Choosing Hyman is a joke..he has more points then many of our players all 5 on 5 or on the pk. Levio is a spare forward and will likely get his last NHL chance next year but likely elsewhere.

People were saying the exact same thing in the first half of the year when I said that Dermott should be a regular in the lineup.

Was Martin playing over Kapanen in the first half of the year because Martin was a better player?

It's pretty easy to prove that Babcock hasn't always put his best players available in the lineup.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Has the new flavor of the week turned into Andreas Johnsson? I thought the demands were that Leivo was suppose to be our #1 LW, Hyman goes to the fourth line and Komarov gets a job sharpening skates in the KHL? Or did fans just finally give up beating a dead horse?

What's the purpose of this post? Chest bumping because you're not a fan of Leivo?

I sincerely doubt many fans expected Leivo to be a #1 LW. He'll still be a fine NHLer imo but he has been surpassed by the likes of Johnsson and Kappy.

So yea, he has been forgotten but you're narrative ain't straight

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Lol Leivo wont make the team next year? Who's going to take his spot Bracco? JVR, Bozak, and Komarov are as good as gone next season. That opens up two wing spots, Potentially three if Nylander moves to center. Leivo will be a full timer in some way next season, that is, if he hasn't already been dealt in the summer.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
People were saying the exact same thing in the first half of the year when I said that Dermott should be a regular in the lineup.

Was Martin playing over Kapanen in the first half of the year because Martin was a better player?

It's pretty easy to prove that Babcock hasn't always put his best players available in the lineup.
Sorry but Levio has proven that he is not currently an NHL player has had many opportunities to get into the line up and earning a spot but he has not done so. That is on Levio blaming Babcock for his inability to earn a spot is laughable.

There are many roles on teams and Levio is a scoring winger. He has not been able to beat out any of our top 9 wingers and that is what he needs to do to earn a spot.

He has gotten PP time as well as 5on5 time and has been found lacking.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Sorry but Levio has proven that he is not currently an NHL player has had many opportunities to get into the line up and earning a spot but he has not done so. That is on Levio blaming Babcock for his inability to earn a spot is laughable.

There are many roles on teams and Levio is a scoring winger. He has not been able to beat out any of our top 9 wingers and that is what he needs to do to earn a spot.

He has gotten PP time as well as 5on5 time and has been found lacking.

Which winger is he supposed to beat out for a scoring role? Marleau? JVR? Nylander or Marner? Every other winger on the team kills penalties and gets hard minutes.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He's a bottom 6 winger who had produced when given the opportunity but likely won't be given a chance here.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lol Leivo wont make the team next year? Who's going to take his spot Bracco? JVR, Bozak, and Komarov are as good as gone next season. That opens up two wing spots, Potentially three if Nylander moves to center. Leivo will be a full timer in some way next season, that is, if he hasn't already been dealt in the summer.
We will try to move him but if not he will have to clear waivers again.
We have many prospects who are ready or near ready who will pass Levio or have. Johnsnson being one. Gundstrom and Timshov come to mind as well. Levio May get a chance but I say it is doubtful.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Exactly my point.

Babcock is not going to sit the veteran we just signed for 6.25 mil or our best trade chip if our season fell flat for whatever reason. How are either of those two situations Leivo's fault or within his control? No matter how well Leivo performed, Babcock would not have sat any of those other wingers if they were healthy under any circumstances.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Kapanen and Johnsson are just more versatile players. Speed, smarts, puck skills, etc.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Kapanen and Johnsson skate well and can PK, I am shocked Babcock likes them more.

But I agree with others that he could become a good sheltered 3rd line scoring winger, on some other team.

Leivo should have been traded for a 3rd back around December.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5