Did we forget about Josh Leivo?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Which winger is he supposed to beat out for a scoring role? Marleau? JVR? Nylander or Marner? Every other winger on the team kills penalties and gets hard minutes.

He's obviously not better than Marleau, JVR, Nylander, or Marner.

He's better than Hyman, Komarov, and Martin. Probably on a similar level to Brown, Kapanen, and Johnsson right now (though I think Johnsson will be much better in another year or two).

I'm not saying that Leivo should have for sure gotten 82 games... but he could have at least rotated with Martin in the first half of the year. Obviously I would have loved it if Hyman and Komarov were both on the 4th line and then Leivo, Kapanen, Johnsson, etc. could get a chance to play in the top 9.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
leivo has more skills than leo and hyman, and has just as much skills as kappy, brown, and johnsson

he doesnt skate as well as any, thats literally the only problem, imo hes worse on his skates than jvr

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The entire Leivo situation really comes down to organizational depth, the Leafs haven't had more depth than they do right now at any point in modern history. There's only so many spots on the bench, you could definitely argue that Komarov can go, but then we'd just put Andreas Johnsson in. At the end of the day its a good problem to have, maybe the best bet is to trade Leivo and try to get a D coming back the other way.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Kapanen and johnsson are better.

Still think he can be a useful top 9 player. Maybe he makes the team next year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Babcock is not going to sit the veteran we just signed for 6.25 mil or our best trade chip if our season fell flat for whatever reason. How are either of those two situations Leivo's fault or within his control? No matter how well Leivo performed, Babcock would not have sat any of those other wingers if they were healthy under any circumstances.
Levio is not better then the top wingers on our team hence no roster spot. If he was better he would play. That is 100% on Levio lack of skill set to play.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Levio is not better then the top wingers on our team hence no roster spot. If he was better he would play. That is 100% on Levio lack of skill set to play.

Marleau and Hyman would never sit regardless of how much better someone was playing than them, let's be realistic. Babcock had a hard enough time benching Komarov for one game, and even that didn't last.

We did not have an available scoring winger role on the team this year, we were lucky to not have any injuries in that department. What is so hard to understand about this? There was no room to get any ice time other than the 4th line, and PK ability is the priority in that slot.

The criticism should be that Leivo can't PK, not that he didn't beat out 2 60 point rookies or 2 established vets on large contracts for a scoring role.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
leivo has more skills than leo and hyman, and has just as much skills as kappy, brown, and johnsson

he doesnt skate as well as any, thats literally the only problem, imo hes worse on his skates than jvr
So then he does not have more skill then any of the above as skating is a huge part of the skill set you need to be an NHL player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Marleau and Hyman would never sit regardless of how much better someone was playing than them, let's be realistic. Babcock had a hard enough time benching Komarov for one game, and even that didn't last.

We did not have an available scoring winger role on the team this year, we were lucky to not have any injuries in that department. What is so hard to understand about this? There was no room to get any ice time other than the 4th line, and PK ability is the priority in that slot.

The criticism should be that Leivo can't PK, not that he didn't beat out 2 60 point rookies or 2 established vets on large contracts for a scoring role.
He simply lacks the skill set needed to push a player out of our lineup. No other explanation is required.

Why people on here get in a twist about players like him is laughable last year it was a poor d man who we were keeping out of our lineup because he was better then Polak when it was again not true.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
1 goal in 16 games played this season, I can't really say he's done much to make himself memorable to me, most certainly not for Babcock.

I think he deserves a chance on a team to play a full season instead of 15 games a year, but I don't see it happening in Toronto.

I also don't really see that much upside in him, but that's my opinion, not a big fan of his.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We're on the verge of our greatest regular season in history. Josh Leivo is what's on your mind?

Well there is no shortage of Johnson for Komarov opinion in this greatest regular season in history... it's a fair question to ask about the most recently discarded shiny toy.

Last edited:

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
I forgot about him until you remind me of him. Are you related to him. Now I sleep and dream about him. When I get breakfast; I think what would Josh Leivo be doing today?

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Leivo.

Better than Komarov, Moore or Martin.
But not as good as Kapanen or AJ.

He needs 20 games in a row in the NHL ... but thats hard to do on a stacked team like the Leafs.
He is however important depth in case of an injury in the playoffs.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Leivo.

He needs 20 games in a row in the NHL ... but thats hard to do on a stacked team like the Leafs.

^ This. I don't ever see him being given 20 games unless he starts out with a hat trick. I'm thinking they like Johnsson enough that JL is dealt this summer.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
it's weird that leivo didn't seem to be able to improve the only think holding him back; skating.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Players over-ripe in the AHL and then they push out a player in the NHL. Levio is a tweener. If he is waived he likely will be claimed by another team. If he stays he might be passed by another AHL player. He has been passed by Kapanen. He will likely be passed by Johnsson. In the future he will likely be passed by Grundstrom, Koshkov, possible Bracco and others. Levio is a 13th forward.
I want the Leafs to be better every year. I expect the Leafs to always be a CapMax team. The Cap will impact which of the UFAs stay or go, or if a UFA is brought in, or if a player like Levio makes the 4th Line. Talent and ability will determine if Levio is passed by the younger prospects. I see Levio as being our 13th forward, traded, or waived. MHO.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Leivo.

But will Babcock even play him in the final game?
He made damn sure Martin got a game in
That's one of the things that drives me nuts about Mike - some guys he gives all the rope to in the world. Others, total opposite.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
No one forgot.

People just realized Johnsson is the better player and want him in the lineup instead.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
We're on the verge of our greatest regular season in history. Josh Leivo is what's on your mind?

You're always looking to improve, trying to do even better. The moment you become complacent is the moment you've lost.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Well there is no shortage of Johnson for Komarov opinion in this greatest regular season in history... it's a fair question to ask about the most recently discarded shiny toy.

Nothing shiny about josh leivo. If he's in Babcock's thoughts this post season, it means we're injury riddled.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Why does Leivo have to be in the top 6 or he can't play lol? That's just stupid. He doesn't have to beat out JVR, Nylander, Marner, Hyman..... or Marleau lol that's just ridiculous. He has to beat Brown, Kappy, Johnsson, Martin, and Komarov. Unfortunately it seems Johnsson has passed him so there's just no room for him this season (shouldn't be any room for Komarov either....)

Next season when 3 winger spots are open (if Nylander plays centre) he will have a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad