Did We Actually get JVR for Luke Schenn???????

Toque*

When Schenn got traded my Mom was so upset, she run to her bedroom which is our garage and pored gasoline on herself. Luckily I was able to lock the doors untill she fell asleep.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
After all the bad trades we made...

We deserved a break. Courtnall,S.Niedermayer,Luongo,Rask,Boyes,Steen. Every dog has his day.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
When Schenn got traded my Mom was so upset, she run to her bedroom which is our garage and pored gasoline on herself. Luckily I was able to lock the doors untill she fell asleep.

someone's had a little too much to drink...

:laugh:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

woah.gif

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
People tend to forget that the Leafs didn't trade for Pronger back in 2006, simply because JFJ didn't want to give up Alex Steen, citing him as "future captain material". That would have been a better return than Stempniak+Mayers any day of the week.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
He also gave his buddy Ron who had accomplished nothing in his years in T.O. a contract extension then canned him shortly after. He also gave Komisarek an outrageous contract for him to be sat in the press box. Tim Connelly? Monster? XLB? Armstrong? Lebda? Versteeg? drafting goons in the top half of the draft?

For every great move Burke made there was a bone headed one as well. I admit Burke was great when it came to trades. However when it came to everything else he was a disaster. The vast majority of his free agent signings were garbage and outside of Kadri/Rielly his drafting was nothing to write home about.

Burke also credited Nonis with doing most of the work on those trades anyways. I'll take Nonis over Burke any day of the week.

Well at 2 years and the ability to bury players in the minors the Connelly signing was a small gamble. Monster is actually a pretty good goalie, just didn't mesh with Allaire. The Versteeg trade we clearly got the best player, he didn't work out here (or Philly) but in Florida he did well.
You missed the JML extension before he came back from that concussion. Bad idea, he's never been the same.
I assume you mean Biggs... I think Burke only drafted 2 forwards in the first round. I know top half but everything after the first round is a crap shoot (heck half the first round is too). I didn't like that pick either. Percy seems to be coming along though.
As for the topic at hand, my big concern was JVR's injury history. I'm surprised Schenn hasn't improved his skating, that is a skill you can learn.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
People tend to forget that the Leafs didn't trade for Pronger back in 2006, simply because JFJ didn't want to give up Alex Steen, citing him as "future captain material". That would have been a better return than Stempniak+Mayers any day of the week.

we were giving away kaberle for him as well. so we wouldn't have gotten colborne and a 1st.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Yes, one of many good trades made by Burke. I never got how you guys hated the Kessel trade either. That worked out for Boston about as well as it possibly could and Toronto may still have won. Think if they would have got Nino Niederreiter or something like that from those picks. They would have had a lynching in Boston. I still don't get how Burke was fired. He did a good job.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

this makes me want to cry. For freaking real?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I really like Luke Schenn, the kid.

Shame to see that he's not been able to kick on and become that star shut down Dman that so many projected him to be.

I was one of the many that thought this kid could have been the next Leafs captain. He just hit a wall, and hit it hard, and couldn't recover.

Shame.

But yeah the JvR return was phenomenal. At the time of the deal, it felt a little too good to be true that we were getting someone with first line potential for someone who really looked like he wasnt' going to recover.

Turns out that most people's projections about that trade turned out to be spot on - proving that, occasionally, Leafs fans on this HFboards gongshow can be right.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

It was Steen and Colaiacovo just for Stempniak. Mayers we got for a 3rd at the draft.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yea, we won the trade and I couldn't be happier with having JVR on the team but some of you really do need to give it a rest already. We're almost as bad as Bruins fans were back during the early days of the Kessel trade with how often some of you keep throwing this trade in Philly fans faces on the main board.

They know they lost the trade. No need to keep rubbing it in already.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Yes, one of many good trades made by Burke. I never got how you guys hated the Kessel trade either. That worked out for Boston about as well as it possibly could and Toronto may still have won. Think if they would have got Nino Niederreiter or something like that from those picks. They would have had a lynching in Boston. I still don't get how Burke was fired. He did a good job.

It was all optics at the time.

Leafs were a terrible team, and while Kessel was fun to watch, didn't really ever give the impression that he was going to turn into the player he was today.

Meanwhile Seguin was winning cups and looking like one of the best young centers in the game (not to mention terrorizing the Leafs every time we played them/him) and Dougie Hamilton was developing nicely.

I'll admit that for all of Kessel's progress into another stratosphere of elite play, it was the Seguin trade out of the Leafs conference/division that really let me be OK with the trade.

You could potentially argue that Kessel's value right now, is hell of a lot more than two 1st round draft picks.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
always supported JvR, knew we won this deal the day we made it. He was only on his way up. Schenn was going no where.

JVR is a machine, still not the most consistent but watching him just fly past the defenceman and power move to the net is just too awesome. nobody else on our team can do that

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
I am probably the only one who would be willing to give a lower draft pick/prospect to get Schenn back to be a bottom pair shut down guy.

Would make my jersey relevant again :)

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It was all optics at the time.

Leafs were a terrible team, and while Kessel was fun to watch, didn't really ever give the impression that he was going to turn into the player he was today.

Meanwhile Seguin was winning cups and looking like one of the best young centers in the game (not to mention terrorizing the Leafs every time we played them/him) and Dougie Hamilton was developing nicely.

I'll admit that for all of Kessel's progress into another stratosphere of elite play, it was the Seguin trade out of the Leafs conference/division that really let me be OK with the trade.

You could potentially argue that Kessel's value right now, is hell of a lot more than two 1st round draft picks.

kessels value is undeniably worth more then 2 firsts. i think if you evaluate the trade at the time the value was fine based on draft picks but the knock was that given where the leafs were at in their rebuilding phase it was not wise to move draft picks period. it would be like florida or calgary moving picks right now. burke as he says himself was impatient and saw the team missing top end talent so he went out and got some.

i think despite everything that has gone one we made out better then people thought we would because of the way kessel as evolved but imo kessel and seguin are pretty even. if all things are equal the center > the winger and then hamilton is just gravy.

hard to ***** about it now though. you win some an you lose some. whatever the difference might be in the kessel trade was more then made up for in the trades to follow between burke and nonis - phaneuf, lupul, gardiner, bernier and obviously jvr

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
We deserved a break. Courtnall,S.Niedermayer,Luongo,Rask,Boyes,Steen. Every dog has his day.

Boyes isn't a player I lose sleep over. Macauley and the pick from one of the best draft years ever, 2003, is more missed from the Nolan trade. Kesler, perry, Richards all went almost immediately after where we picked (mark Stuart to Boston).

Regardless Owen Nolan at 31! That shouldn't have been a trade we looked back and regretted, what an exciting trade. Really to bad Nolan didn't seem to want Nolan had injury problems.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He's been a great presence on the PK as well.

Another rumoured deal was Steen + 13th overall pick for the 2nd overall pick in the 2007 draft (JVR).

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
JVR has been great. But forwards hit their prime younger and he is playing with Phil Kessel.

Philly has a bad defence and Schenn has looked close to putting it together at times. He's also looked terrible at times. If he gets a bit of footspeed and cuts out some of the dumb things he occasionally does that exposes his lack of footspeed he can be a very effective top 4 defenceman still.

Right now Toronto won that trade but it remains to be seen what we will say 10 years from now. Most would have said Toronto lost the Kessel trade after all.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
kessels value is undeniably worth more then 2 firsts. i think if you evaluate the trade at the time the value was fine based on draft picks but the knock was that given where the leafs were at in their rebuilding phase it was not wise to move draft picks period. it would be like florida or calgary moving picks right now. burke as he says himself was impatient and saw the team missing top end talent so he went out and got some.

i think despite everything that has gone one we made out better then people thought we would because of the way kessel as evolved but imo kessel and seguin are pretty even. if all things are equal the center > the winger and then hamilton is just gravy.

hard to ***** about it now though. you win some an you lose some. whatever the difference might be in the kessel trade was more then made up for in the trades to follow between burke and nonis - phaneuf, lupul, gardiner, bernier and obviously jvr

Kessel is more entertaining than Seguin and that's worth a lot in my book.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00