Did We Actually get JVR for Luke Schenn???????

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seeing as though there's a "worst Leafs trades" thread, I thought I'd make a shout out to the trade that has brought my new favourite Leaf into the fold.

What an awesome deal by Burkie. :handclap:

Did you read my comparison of the JVR - Schenn deal in the trades thread, as an example for why we should deal Kadri for Myers? :naughty: :laugh:

Coincidence this thread should just pop up.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Dude is unreal fast for how big he is. PK couldnt even touch him once he got going. Dude is going to be a stud for years to come, and only at 4.25mil cap hit :naughty:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
JvR is unreal. I love his skating ability for such a big man.

The best part about him...he actually gets better than this in the playoffs.

Durkin67

JVR looks like Mats Sundin out there sometimes.

Agreed, and I was mocked for those same comparisons...big strong body, great puck protections skills, and hes that other kind of tough, the kind that takes punishment to get it done. Love me some JvR

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
JVR looks like Mats Sundin out there sometimes.

I really thought I was the only person to notice that, I guess not. JVR is a tremendous talent and he's only getting better.

I'm going to admit, the day we acquired him I never thought he would be this good.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
He has a REALLY rare combination of size, speed, hard shot, skill and hand-eye coordination.

He's putting up BIG numbers this year, and he's still young yet! He's 24th in league scoring right now, among names such as Kopitar, Hossa, Marleau, Duchene.... GOD damnit do we have talent on our team!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I really thought I was the only person to notice that, I guess not. JVR is a tremendous talent and he's only getting better.

I'm going to admit, the day we acquired him I never thought he would be this good.

Nor did I, thought he might be injury prone because he was with Philly, but I still loved the trade when it happened, knew Schenn hasn't going to get any better.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He has a REALLY rare combination of size, speed, hard shot, skill and hand-eye coordination.

He's putting up BIG numbers this year, and he's still young yet! He's 24th in league scoring right now, among names such as Kopitar, Hossa, Marleau, Duchene.... GOD damnit do we have talent on our team!

Just think if our D was even average right now...we could have a shot in the playoffs.

We really need to fix our D.

East is WIDE open this year but our defense is our achilles heel.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I never had much doubt that JVR could turn into a 30gl/60pt type support first liner with regularity.....but right now he's showing that he might be significantly more than that. He might be turning into that 40gl/80pt type of power winger that every team dreams of having.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Just think if our D was even average right now...we could have a shot in the playoffs.

We really need to fix our D.

East is WIDE open this year but our defense is our achilles heel.

With Seids gone for the Bruins and Letang gone for the Pens, you are damn right about the east being WIDE open. I really hope our team gets firing on all cylinders come playoff time (assuming we make it in), with a little luck we could find ourselves really deep in the playoffs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I never had much doubt that JVR could turn into a 30gl/60pt type support first liner with regularity.....but right now he's showing that he might be significantly more than that. He might be turning into that 40gl/80pt type of power winger that every team dreams of having.

I think he definitely has a few 80 point seasons in him. I think he will settle in nicely as a 70 point winger.

Remember all that talk about the Leafs needing to trade Kessel plus for Nash :laugh:

Well..we got Nash for Schenn and he's only costing us 4.25M.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This was literally one of the most one-sided trades since the 04/05 lockout.

Schenn was a #6/7 dman for us when we traded him, and remains a #6/7 dman in Philly (currently 7th in ATOI for the Flyers). His only asset is his physical strength - he's terrible offensively, and not even good defensively because he's just too slow. You can't play him on the PP, you can't even play him on the PK, and he's not very useful at even strength either - I just don't see much of a future for him.

JvR, on the other hand, has developed into a total stud. A legit 1st line power forward, who brings size, speed, skill, AND can play the "Holmstrom game" (screening the goalie while providing great tips and tap-ins). There's no doubt in my mind that he's the 2nd best forward on the team, getting him for Schenn was massive, massive robbery. The fact that we got him on a sweetheart deal (signed for 6 years at a $4.25 mil cap hit when we acquired him) just makes it even better.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Agreed, he could flirt with 35 goals and 70 points this year, and he's been improving at a pretty rapid pace. 40/80 at some point in the future is no out of the question.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Burke salvages the Luke Schenn pick into JVR, Phaneuf for Stajan + spare parts, Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul, Kessel for futures, and then gets fired.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
To be fair. It was a good deal for both teams at the time of the trade.

JvR for Schenn was a swap of 2 guys at a crossroad and needing a change. I thought Schenn would be an animal in Philly. Perfect trade at the time it seemed.

Gardiner could be a similar one for a team. Can see him being a stud on D , with a more complementing system. Now only if we can find a player with a similar curve. I.e Loads of potential, not fitting into a system, young.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Burke salvages the Luke Schenn pick into JVR, Phaneuf for Stajan + spare parts, Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul, Kessel for futures, and then gets fired.

He got fired because some suits didn't like him mainly, not so much for his hockey moves. Well, except for maybe missing the playoffs every year he was here.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
This is a perfect example as to why you don't always have to give a young guy (Schenn) "as long as he needs" to turn it around.

Being proactive and making deals like this is something I am glad we've done.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
To be fair. It was a good deal for both teams at the time of the trade.

not really.

At the time of the trade, JVR was a 2nd line producer with 1st line upside.

At the time of the trade, Schenn was a bottom pair dman with 2nd pair upside.

It was never a good deal for Philly.

Of course, it looks even worse now that JVR is looking like not just a 1st liner, but maybe a star 1st liner, while Schenn is still stuck being a bottom pair dman, and not even a very good one.

Bluejaysfan*

This trade is exactly why it makes me cringe when I see Kadri trade proposals for guys like Adam Larsson. Do we really want to be on the other end of a trade like this?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: