Did We Actually get JVR for Luke Schenn???????

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Nonis is decent at drafting and trading when he does make a trade, I like how he doesn't make trades when everyone, including the fans are reporters are yelling at him to make one. I just hope we can draft better and smarter, I want more boom/bust prospects like Ho-Sang and Kadri, not Gauthier's and Biggs

Nonis is actually pretty damn good at trades.

We all remember the Luongo trade. I wonder if people recall that the Phaneuf trade was actually all him (credited by Burke), as was the Franson trade.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
He got fired because some suits didn't like him mainly, not so much for his hockey moves. Well, except for maybe missing the playoffs every year he was here.

It takes time to gather the pieces of a team. Burke kept saying that the long term plan has not changed. He wanted to build a team that was going to be competitive every year. He did a great job. Calgary will be the same.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Nonis is actually pretty damn good at trades.

We all remember the Luongo trade. I wonder if people recall that the Phaneuf trade was actually all him (credited by Burke), as was the Franson trade.

Good point actually.

The only thing I would counter that with, is that making a trade on behalf of a GM and an organization, when your neck isn't on the line, is probably a hell of a lot easier than making one when you are the prime focal point.

Overall I've liked the moves Nonis has made via trade recently - Bolland, Bernier, and Holland are all decent additions.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Obviously the JVR trade was incredible. But lets say philly calls, and this is their proposal:

Luke + Brayden Schenn for JVR.

Would you do it?

(my answer is no)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Obviously the JVR trade was incredible. But lets say philly calls, and this is their proposal:

Luke + Brayden Schenn for JVR.

Would you do it?

(my answer is no)

No.

Luke Schenn is basically a cap dump.

JvR > Schenn. So a big no from me.

It would be a steal for the Flyers.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Hindsight works, obviously. It wasn't highway robbery at the time, but surely looks like it now. JvR is doing great, I love the guy :nod:

I thought the moment it was confirmed it was another beauty of a trade by Holmgren. I also found it hilarious that in the explanation of the deal, Burke mentioned that the deal was being bandied about for some time but never materialized because of the peripheral pieces and that the decision to move the principals was a move whose right time had come.

Unbelievable.

Mar 26, 2010
JVR might turn out to be the best trade in the history of the franchise.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Schenn's been good for the Flyers and JVR has been good for us. Good deal for both teams. I miss Schenn but JVR is one hell of a player.

Do you really miss Schenn? We dont have one single D that Schenn would beat for the spot including Ranger. So he will be 8th or lover on our depth chart.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Do you really miss Schenn? We dont have one single D that Schenn would beat for the spot including Ranger. So he will be 8th or lover on our depth chart.

:laugh: okay lets not sell schenn that short here. i'd take schenn over franson and ranger any day of the week.

Lisa Needs Braces

Apr 7, 2004
I'd like to see us go after someone similar in the future.

Would love to get Chris Kreider somehow. He's just waiting to break out.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
I met a Philadelphian on vacation that summer and he kept on me about how JVR was garbage and we got fleeced….I watched JVR dominate in the 2011 playoffs so I was just like you'll see buddy:laugh:I knew Burkie fleeced them. Feels good man

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
We won the trade, but Schenn is going to be better than he is now, I bet. He'll grow into a damn good D-Man one day and this trade will be a LOT closer than people think it is now.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Luke Schenn ATOI tonight: 13:39. He was -1.

Luke Schenn sucks. He always has. He always will. He only ever looked good defensively in junior because he physically matured freakishly early. As soon as his peers catch up and he's playing against other grown men, he's sucked. Sad that that wasn't so visible before, but unbelievable trade by Burke to exchange him for JVR, who is challenging to be one of the best forwards in the game right now.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I remember proposing a trade of JVR + 3rd for L. Schenn + 2nd back when these rumours were on the go. Philly would have jumped up about 40 spots in the draft. Flyers fans laughed at and mocked me. Then when the trade was announced and we found out it was a straight-up trade, I had the last laugh.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
We won the trade, but Schenn is going to be better than he is now, I bet. He'll grow into a damn good D-Man one day and this trade will be a LOT closer than people think it is now.

Schenn is a dime a dozen player. Nothing special about his game. He looks like he will be an okay 3rd pairing D-man, but that's just about it. This trade was a fleecing the second it was announced, and it will only continue to get worse for the Flyers moving forward. I couldn't believe we managed to get something valuable for that pylon.

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
Burke salvages the Luke Schenn pick into JVR, Phaneuf for Stajan + spare parts, Beauchemin for Gardiner and Lupul, Kessel for futures, and then gets fired.

He also gave his buddy Ron who had accomplished nothing in his years in T.O. a contract extension then canned him shortly after. He also gave Komisarek an outrageous contract for him to be sat in the press box. Tim Connelly? Monster? XLB? Armstrong? Lebda? Versteeg? drafting goons in the top half of the draft?

For every great move Burke made there was a bone headed one as well. I admit Burke was great when it came to trades. However when it came to everything else he was a disaster. The vast majority of his free agent signings were garbage and outside of Kadri/Rielly his drafting was nothing to write home about.

Burke also credited Nonis with doing most of the work on those trades anyways. I'll take Nonis over Burke any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad