Did the Jets make a huge mistake

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I've watched Buf his entire career -- he's always been a high risk / high reward player -- ideally, he's not the best defenseman on your team because he doesn't spend a tremendous amount of time focusing on defense -- but, he's a unique combination of talents that makes any team more dangerous

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I've watched Buf his entire career -- he's always been a high risk / high reward player -- ideally, he's not the best defenseman on your team because he doesn't spend a tremendous amount of time focusing on defense -- but, he's a unique combination of talents that makes any team more dangerous

Exactly. I'm not sure we can win consistently with Buff, but he is so damn interesting to watch. You could say the same for Karlsson and Subban.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Tyler Myers shouldn't be seeing more than 17 minutes a game on the 3rd pairing tbh

he isn't very good

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Horrible game by Dustin Byfuglien against Bruins last night, and that was not big surprise.

Jets should and could have Myers, Trouba, Postma as their right handed defenseman now and for the future. In that case it is possible that Ladd would also still be in Winnipeg.

Byfuglien is out of position too many times in game and he makes too many times risky selfish plays with the puck. He is great offensive force but I believe Enstrom would be better choice as quarterback on their first power play unit. Maybe it would be better for the power play to have Byfuglien infront of the net???

What should Jets do with this situation?

Tyler Myers is the number one all around defenseman of the Jets and he should get most minutes (even strength and penalty killing) and Byfuglien should have attitude change to change that fact. His number one job is to play in position not generate points.

Case Trouba: Jets have Byfuglien who is not going anywhere because of his new contract, Myers who is their best defenseman, Postma who is more than good choise for the 3rd pair. Other side Morrisey who deserves more ice time (he could play in 2nd power play if Byfuglien goes in front of the net) Enstrom who is great partner for Myers, Chiarot who is killing penalties and playing aggressively and moving puck in 3rd pairing. There is also Stuart who played good game against Wild and is perfect 7th defenseman.

So I don't think Jets needs defenseman for Trouba. If they would get Nurse it would change situation, because Nurse is going to be special player.

Could they get 2017 high 1st pick for Trouba? from Toronto, Arizona, Las Vegas, Carolina???

What do you think, did the Jets make mistake by keeping Byfuglien and with that ending up in situation where they have to trade Trouba?

no to the bolded........wrong wrong wrong

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Jets need to stop ****ing around and trade Trouba already. By the time December comes around they will already be out of playoff contention.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The only one who made a mistake was you, think Myers is even close to the same quality as Buff lmao

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Jets need to stop ****ing around and trade Trouba already. By the time December comes around they will already be out of playoff contention.

for what though? obviously no good deal has been offered. Either Chevy is asking WAY too much or teams just don't think he is THAT good and/or are scared of his contract demands

IMO Chevy needs to take his time and make sure he hits a homerun with this trade. Sure Jets d core is sorta struggling, but they need to score goals. They are peppering goalies with shots but just not scoring

Last edited by a moderator:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
What the **** is this thread, seriously? Byfuglien is elite. A defenseman good on offense =/= bad on defense. People do this association and it's driving me nuts. People say Letang, Subban, Buff, Klingberg, etc. are bad on defense because... they need a reason to not praise them I guess? I mean every players have turnovers, even Vlasic or Hjalmarsson. Reputation plays a role in how we see each mistake though.

Subban and Letang are great defensively. Byfuglien is plenty good too.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Everyone wants to see more goals scored. They just don't want to see them scored against their team. I'm not a big fan of the new run and gun hockey. Orr's right, bring back the red line.

So bringing back the red line will help lots of goals being scored on your team?

Good luck with that.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Jets should and could have Myers, Trouba, Postma as their right handed defenseman now and for the future. In that case it is possible that Ladd would also still be in Winnipeg.

It was almost unanimous amongst Winnipeg fans that it was time to move on from Ladd, especially given the contract he ended up getting.

Byfuglien is out of position too many times in game and he makes too many times risky selfish plays with the puck. He is great offensive force but I believe Enstrom would be better choice as quarterback on their first power play unit. Maybe it would be better for the power play to have Byfuglien infront of the net???

Oh god no! Enstrom hasn't been a good PP QB in a few years. I'm not sure if it's him being too passive or trying to set up the perfect play but whenever he's on the PP it stalls hard.

Tyler Myers is the number one all around defenseman of the Jets and he should get most minutes (even strength and penalty killing) and Byfuglien should have attitude change to change that fact. His number one job is to play in position not generate points.

100% incorrect.

Case Trouba: Jets have Byfuglien who is not going anywhere because of his new contract, Myers who is their best defenseman, Postma who is more than good choise for the 3rd pair. Other side Morrisey who deserves more ice time (he could play in 2nd power play if Byfuglien goes in front of the net) Enstrom who is great partner for Myers, Chiarot who is killing penalties and playing aggressively and moving puck in 3rd pairing. There is also Stuart who played good game against Wild and is perfect 7th defenseman.

Rush much? Morrissey has played 2 games and looked decent, let's see how he is over say, a dozen games, before we start moving him up in the depth chart.

Maybe Stuart would be a perfect #7 for the Moose....

So I don't think Jets needs defenseman for Trouba. If they would get Nurse it would change situation, because Nurse is going to be special player.

Respecctfully disagree to both points. Jets DO need a dman if we lose Trouba. Myers is OK but not great, Buff and Enstrom aren't getting younger. Morrissey is the only dman we have in our pipeline who looks like he might be able to play top 4.

Also don't think Nurse is going to be anything more than a 3/4 dman, similar to Myers.

Could they get 2017 high 1st pick for Trouba? from Toronto, Arizona, Las Vegas, Carolina???

HIGHLY doubtful one of those teams gives a 1st for him.

What do you think, did the Jets make mistake by keeping Byfuglien and with that ending up in situation where they have to trade Trouba?

Trouba doesn't want to play in Winnipeg because he doesn't like the city. I don't think anyone who's followed this at all believes that "I don't want to play LD" is the real reason for the trade request at all.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
Maybe I should relax and take deep breath, but I am just the way I am. Never liked Paul Coffey no matter how great his offense was. I have always liked players who play 0-0 game 9 games out of 10 and go +1 in one. Not players who score 10 points in 10 games and allow opponent to score 10 by thinking offense first.

Damn. Could've saved myself the trouble of the above post if I just made it to this. :help::help::help:

I'm guessing you're talking about the same Paul Coffey who had a better +/- than defensive scrubs like Chris Pronger, Al MacInnis, Scott Niedermayer, Rob Blake, Brian Leetch and Chris Chelios. If so than please carry on.

Last edited:

OmarComin

Jan 8, 2012
I'm kind of impressed. Almost everything in this post is wrong.

There is a mountain of data showing that Byfuglien is a fantastic defenseman. One of the top 15 or so in the league if I'm remembering the stats correctly. Yes, he does play a high-risk style of hockey and so sometimes he has very bad games, but overall he's a huge positive.

Enstrom is a terrible powerplay quarterback. There was a time when he was great, but his offense has declined significantly. He basically never shoots on the PP, making the PP easy to defend. He's great, but doesn't belong on the PP.

Myers as the Jets best defenseman is laughable. He really isn't that good. A competent #4.

Chiarot/Postma is not a strong 3rd pairing. The Jets can roll with it...because it's what they have. Weak, but ok.

Stuart is a disaster. Consistently one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. He's not the perfect anything, though I hear he's quite a nice guy, so there's that.

The Jets don't have a 1st pairing LD. They need one. If would be ideal if they can resign Trouba and have him fill that role. Alternately, if they can trade him for someone that has the potential to become that.

well said

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah.

The Jets have been trying up too much money to older vets - which is seemingly running counter to the fact that 1 they were a bottom 10 team last year and 2 these vets are quite a bit older than their future bluechip core.

Should have flipped buff for a small ransoms last year and used the money in Trouba/saved it for future deals with RFAs

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

Yeah.

The Jets have been trying up too much money to older vets - which is seemingly running counter to the fact that 1 they were a bottom 10 team last year and 2 these vets are quite a bit older than their future bluechip core.

Should have flipped buff for a small ransoms last year and used the money in Trouba/saved it for future deals with RFAs

Trouba doesn't want to be in Winnipeg so that would have been a costly mistake. Postma would be our best RHD.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
for what though? obviously no good deal has been offered. Either Chevy is asking WAY too much or teams just don't think he is THAT good and/or are scared of his contract demands

IMO Chevy needs to take his time and make sure he hits a homerun with this trade. Sure Jets d core is sorta struggling, but they need to score goals. They are peppering goalies with shots but just not scoring

Well, I don't think waiting increases his trade value. Jets fans are going to be disappointed with the return either way in the end.

By waiting they're just throwing away their season with each passing game. If it wasn't for playing a terrible Canes team they would be 0-3 right now.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Trouba is starting to look like a tough sell. I can't see any team wanting to pay his contract demands with what he's shown. Plus already showing character issues and the longer he sits the worse his value gets IMO. Jets trying to sell him at top pairing potential value, other teams probably trying to buy him at his current player value. The fact that he will not resign takes even more leverage from Winnipeg. Terrible situation and I hate when players especially at his age and resume pull s*** like this. Sign a short contract, show your value and move on. Sitting out is bad for him and Winnipeg.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Horrible game by Dustin Byfuglien against Bruins last night, and that was not big surprise.

From the leafs perspective i would do this.

In hindsight it doesn't look like it was the right move but then again you're only what 3 games into the season ? There's still more than enough time for him to turn it around. But given the depth the jets have at RD, i think moving Buff would've been the smarter move.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Maybe I should relax and take deep breath, but I am just the way I am. Never liked Paul Coffey no matter how great his offense was. I have always liked players who play 0-0 game 9 games out of 10 and go +1 in one. Not players who score 10 points in 10 games and allow opponent to score 10 by thinking offense first.

I do honestly believe you are a male, age 75, from Finland.

Why think about scoring when you can stop the opposition?!

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
When Buff gets back to mid-season form, playing like he has the last couple years, there's very few defensemen in the entire league I'd take over him. At no point has Myers ever been a real threat to take the #1 spot from Buff. As bad of a start as he's had, Myers is still worse.

Ladd was horrible last season and Byfuglien was a top-15D in the league. They kept the right guy.

Trouba was already getting first pairing minutes. Don't believe the excuse that it's about opportunity. If they didn't sign Buff, their RHD depth right now would be Myers (an average #4) and Postma (who spent most of last year in the pressbox) and Trouba would be screwing them even more by holding out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad