Did the Jets make a huge mistake

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Horrible game by Dustin Byfuglien against Bruins last night, and that was not big surprise.

Jets should and could have Myers, Trouba, Postma as their right handed defenseman now and for the future. In that case it is possible that Ladd would also still be in Winnipeg.

Byfuglien is out of position too many times in game and he makes too many times risky selfish plays with the puck. He is great offensive force but I believe Enstrom would be better choice as quarterback on their first power play unit. Maybe it would be better for the power play to have Byfuglien infront of the net???

What should Jets do with this situation?

Tyler Myers is the number one all around defenseman of the Jets and he should get most minutes (even strength and penalty killing) and Byfuglien should have attitude change to change that fact. His number one job is to play in position not generate points.

Case Trouba: Jets have Byfuglien who is not going anywhere because of his new contract, Myers who is their best defenseman, Postma who is more than good choise for the 3rd pair. Other side Morrisey who deserves more ice time (he could play in 2nd power play if Byfuglien goes in front of the net) Enstrom who is great partner for Myers, Chiarot who is killing penalties and playing aggressively and moving puck in 3rd pairing. There is also Stuart who played good game against Wild and is perfect 7th defenseman.

So I don't think Jets needs defenseman for Trouba. If they would get Nurse it would change situation, because Nurse is going to be special player.

Could they get 2017 high 1st pick for Trouba? from Toronto, Arizona, Las Vegas, Carolina???

What do you think, did the Jets make mistake by keeping Byfuglien and with that ending up in situation where they have to trade Trouba?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Everyone wants to see more goals scored. They just don't want to see them scored against their team. I'm not a big fan of the new run and gun hockey. Orr's right, bring back the red line.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well...
If you think Myers is superior to Byfuglien, I guess there's absolutely nothing to discuss.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Well...
If you think Myers is superior to Byfuglien, I guess there's absolutely nothing to discuss.

Myers is defenseman, Byfuglien well its hard to know what position he was playing against the Bruins

Byfuglien could be so much better by doing so much less

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't agree with the OP. Big Buff is a star... he had a rough game last night but every star player has a bad night from time to time. Also, Myers is definitely not their best dman IMO. Oh and also Postma and Chiarot are terrible dmen and are dreadful to watch

Morrissey looked great last night and his play may allow Chevy to target other pieces in a Trouba deal and not just solely a #1 LHD.

I think Jets still need to figure out there dmen situation and somehow improve it immensely. It's just not clicking... but then again their forwards aren't really clicking and the PP isn't either.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Jets biggest need easily is a high end defensive defenseman.
They don't have one right now.

Morrissey has looked great for them on the blueline, probably the best so far.
Myers should not logg 25mins per game, 3rd pairing needs sheltering pretty badly.
Enstroms contract runs out after next season.

The forward group doesn't need Ladd, that contract is scary. They did the right thing with keeping Buff over Ladd.

copernicanrevolution

Apr 30, 2009
Atlanta
I'm kind of impressed. Almost everything in this post is wrong.

There is a mountain of data showing that Byfuglien is a fantastic defenseman. One of the top 15 or so in the league if I'm remembering the stats correctly. Yes, he does play a high-risk style of hockey and so sometimes he has very bad games, but overall he's a huge positive.

Enstrom is a terrible powerplay quarterback. There was a time when he was great, but his offense has declined significantly. He basically never shoots on the PP, making the PP easy to defend. He's great, but doesn't belong on the PP.

Myers as the Jets best defenseman is laughable. He really isn't that good. A competent #4.

Chiarot/Postma is not a strong 3rd pairing. The Jets can roll with it...because it's what they have. Weak, but ok.

Stuart is a disaster. Consistently one of the worst defensemen in the NHL. He's not the perfect anything, though I hear he's quite a nice guy, so there's that.

The Jets don't have a 1st pairing LD. They need one. If would be ideal if they can resign Trouba and have him fill that role. Alternately, if they can trade him for someone that has the potential to become that.

bigbluejet

Aug 30, 2010
Trade the bum.

Dont take Trouba back he is not worth the money he is asking nt even close must be his agent putting things in his head Jets should trade him for best deal possible even if its nt for a defensemen.:shakehead:shakehead

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Byfuglien has always been slow and even more slow as of late. Really bad during the World Cup. That's big buff for you. The problem is the game is getting faster and faster with the new kids coming in. So yes the Jets made a mistake going with Buff. They should have had the foresight to see that and trade him last season.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
this thread will be a head shaker mid season when Buff has 30+ points and dominating physically and everyone realizes that this thread was being made after 3 games.

Buff is a rare breed of an offensive player that is an intimidating and physical presence on the ice. This team is full of extremely young and skilled players and IMO he is a perfect type of player to help lead this team

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The Oilers just played a horribad game where Nurse and Klefbom looked like a couple guys you'd be hesitant to take in a pond hockey game. Doesn't mean I want to deport them to Mars.

Big Buff will bounce back. He's never been a defensive stalwart, but he'll have 55 points and some highlight reel hits to go with average defence by year's end.

R-E-L-A-X

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
The Oilers just played a horribad game where Nurse and Klefbom looked like a couple guys you'd be hesitant to take in a pond hockey game. Doesn't mean I want to deport them to Mars.

Big Buff will bounce back. He's never been a defensive stalwart, but he'll have 55 points and some highlight reel hits to go with average defence by year's end.

R-E-L-A-X

Maybe I should relax and take deep breath, but I am just the way I am. Never liked Paul Coffey no matter how great his offense was. I have always liked players who play 0-0 game 9 games out of 10 and go +1 in one. Not players who score 10 points in 10 games and allow opponent to score 10 by thinking offense first.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Well, actually Morrissey is our best all around defenseman right now, followed by Enstrom.

If anything, the Jets should trade Myers and keep Trouba, except Jacob and Papa Trouba don't want to Play in Winnipeg because he can't "grow his brand".

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Morrissey is bar none our best Dman right now. Buff is just making some bonehead plays. No one can hit opposing players shins with the puck more than Myers. Enstrom just needs to shoot more. Chiarot is horrible and should be in the AHL. Postma is only slightly better because he can actually make a breakout pass sometimes.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Really, all this to make the case for Myers? One of the most overrated players in the league.

At least Byfuglien cancels out some of his bad defensive play with elite offense and physical play. Myers cancels out his bad defensive play with...I dunno...height, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad