Did Tanner Glass Really Play 20 Playoff Games for the Canucks in 2010-11?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Oh, a Pens fan started this thread. Lols.

He is a good skater, and back checked decently, which always leads to an AV man crush. And he seems like a good locker room guy.

But really, he wasn't even the worst guy on that SCF team. Can you guys believe Victor-freaking-Oreskovich played 19 games that year, including all 7 of the SCF? I mean, you wanna look at reasons why we lost... Try a fourth line of Glass/One-eyed Malhotra/Oreskovich, going up against Thornton/Campbell/Paille. That team missed Samuelsson so much...

Oh God, the what-ifs... They're back...

Hamhuis... Hip check.........

/slapface

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
He was actually pretty decent that year during the regular season. Our only consistent 4th liner - his linemates were a revolving door of nobodies. But he disappeared in the playoffs and hasn't been seen anywhere since.

We really just needed somebody to fill in our annual Nanaimo Clippers Alumni quotient.
Luckily we have Garrison locked down for a number of years now, so there's no need to go pick up Ryan O'Byrne or Matt Irwin.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
I remember him as the 4th liner who couldn't score a goal if his life depended on it. With that being said, he was the only one who wasn't part of the roulette of 4th liners during that playoff run. It's probably because he could take the pk. Other than that, he's pretty invisible (which is good or bad depending on how you see it).

Now, he's probably known (to Canucks fans) as the guy who whiffed on the empty net in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
The 2011 Canucks were a 3 line team all playoffs. At the time, we had 3 NHL centres in Henrik, Kesler and Lapierre, and we had scrubs like Glass and Oreskovich with a useless Hodgson or one-eyed Maltholtra. The rag tag group on the 4th line did not contribute a single goal all playoffs.

Its pretty sad, but the lack of organizational depth at centre was quite possibly worse in 2011 then it is now....only difference was we had Kesler healthy. Schroeder and Ebbett today certainly look better than Hodgson did in the 2011 playoffs.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
We know. We're just as surprised as you are that someone wanted to pay him money to play hockey.

Whats odd is gillis wanted him back, thank you pens!

Against the bruins he did nothing for being our tough guy.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
TO put it in short, Tanner Glass is a dynamite 4th line player. He doesn't win lots of fights, but he puts lots of good bottom 6 or 3 (defenders) in the box. He's a lot like Dale Weise now, but Weise is much more skilled. If you want Glass to kill time off the clock in a possession game or goad a more valuable player into a fight he'll do it. If it's anything else he'll screw it up. He usually starts hot point-wise in the first half of a season but it's different this season. He's terrible and I think he's a hockey grinder's version of Mr. October. He's usually fairly decent in the playoffs though. The ideal 4th liner, but terrible outside playing vs. a 4th line in a playoff game.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He's a checking forward with good defensive value. Consistent effort.

Not sure what else you want from a fourth line winger. You want to give him back? I'll take him.

He was injured for most of the playoffs. AV probably should have played someone healthier (story of the ******* finals).

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

Not sure what else you want from a fourth line winger. You want to give him back? I'll take him.

He was injured for most of the playoffs. AV probably should have played someone healthier (story of the ******* finals).
@ 1.1 million for this season and the next? No thanks.

Best to have these types of players on just 1 year deals (eg., look no further than Jeff Cowan for another example).

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Not sure what else you want from a fourth line winger.
As a Pens fan, I'm used to seeing some pretty brutal 4th liners. The cost of having Crosby/Malkin+ on your team. But Tanner Glass really takes the cake. As you guys are well aware, his ability to fan on any and every opportunity is truly astounding. Just tonight against the Habs, Crosby sets him up nicely in the slot, but he was unable to even really address the puck with his stick, much less take anything resembling a shot on goal. He makes our other 4th liners, guys like Craig Adams and Joe Vitale, look like top 6 skill players by comparison. And it'd be one thing if he was delivering bone-crunching hits, but he really doesn't. The only time I ever notice him is when he's done something really poorly. Which is a couple times a game, at least.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

might i remind you how little the 4th line played and how useless they were when we had Glass there... i am happier with Weise and Seisto. They look like skilled forwards next to Glass. Glass is also the worse +/- guy in the regular season for us the year he left and he was also -5 during the playoffs... brutal for a 4th liner who played so little in such important games. The Bruins 4th line destoryedddd our 4th line and Tanner sure dididn't do his job to protect our stars from their goons. The guy is a plug. Absolutely useless. Can't even throw hits.

Last edited:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
every hit is soft and ineffectual. he's a black-hole offensively. hell, even Craig Adams (the man who went a full 82 game season without a goal) has scored on the fourth line. oh, and the fights. they're lovely - he's lost every single one by an overwhelming margin. he might be the most useless hockey player i've ever seen.

And those are his good points.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I don't think he was that bad. He was an alright spark plug player who gave a good effort every night. He didn't really do anything well but he'd play his heart out. He's what passed for toughness during the Canucks run... so :dunno:

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
He's a guy who will eat up 7 mins a game and lay a couple hits here or there and generally be a gritty agitator player. While mediocre offensively, he isn't usually a big defensive liability. +/- can be misleading when it comes to zone starts, strength of line matchups etc. so take that number with a grain of salt.

With the injuries the Canucks had piled up during that 2011 run, he was pushed more into service than we'd otherwise have liked. The AHL cupboards were bare after the Nonis years, and MG's picks weren't developed yet. That's why 'journeyman' players like this saw ice time.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
what a beaut

tumblr_m36n4kSsu01r6xaqyo1_500.jpg

:naughty:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He was actually pretty decent that year during the regular season. Our only consistent 4th liner - his linemates were a revolving door of nobodies. But he disappeared in the playoffs and hasn't been seen anywhere since.
I had no issues STARTING the playoffs with Tanner Glass. I just have an issue with FINISHING them with him still in the lineup.

I have no idea how he could play that many playoff games so poorly without getting scratched. Oh, no, wait - AV man crush.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He was serviceable when healthy, and though he was limited in his skill, always a good teammate and character guy. Not really his fault they kept playing him when he was injured. Tambo would have been more useful, and looking back even Ballard would have helped!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad