Speculation: Did Sestito "do the right thing" by continuing to throw punches at a turtling Nolan?

Castle1*

You turtle, and don't fight back. The other guy gets an additional 2 for instigating, and tossed from the game, where you don't have to deal with him again. I'd say that's a pretty good reward.

Yep. Good explanation.

Pretty easy to understand...not sure how a hockey fan doesnt get this.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Ugh, Olbermann is a joke in general, but also making fun of people for being "liberal" is a joke.

God, I hate everyone on the political spectrum except for myself. It's like, do you ever get the feeling everyone is really stupid except for you?

Also, I think we all know the worst person in sports is Burrows ;)

ROFL seems like the Sestito's don't like Lib'rals

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Torts just said on the Team 1040 that if Sestito would to do that again, he would applaud him because it was the right thing to do.

Tortz is awesome. The Canucks are starting to take on his personality. I hope they keep sticking up for themselves ... or at least the Sedins. :handclap:

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Know know who else would love it, Jack Edwards, wish he was calling that game instead of dumb and dumber talking about peanut butter all game.

Betamax*

You turtle, and don't fight back. The other guy gets an additional 2 for instigating, and tossed from the game, where you don't have to deal with him again. I'd say that's a pretty good reward.

Yep. Good explanation.

Pretty easy to understand...not sure how a hockey fan doesnt get this.

Please refer to the bolded part ...

"Cheech" makes no sense to me.

Could someone explain to me how the elimination of the "instigator" penalty would prevent the opponent from "turtling" ...

In other words, the elimination of the instigator, instead of putting your team on the PK for 7 mins, you're only putting them down for "only" 5 mins but on a positive note, you remain in the game after time served?

I don't know about you, but I think 5 min PP is still a significant punitive measure and incentive to "turtle."

I think the reason why Canucks supporters are fine with what Sestito did was because the Kings failed to capitalize on their 7 min PP.

Imagine if they scored a couple of goals on that PP ....... :m-cool:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Yes. Nolan is too chicken to answer the bell....and lord knows he's made the bell ring more times than he's supposed to in a season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Just saying, Hansen let Vatanen pull off and still got 7 minutes.

I'd rather it have been done against someone who deserved something bad, but...wow.

You get grabbed from behind, after someone coming in full speed and trying to instigate with Richardson in a scrum, you're turned around, grabbed from behind, and react...and that's as bad as attacking a turtler.

Betamax*

Yes. Nolan is too chicken to answer the bell....and lord knows he's made the bell ring more times than he's supposed to in a season.

Hey, I think we have a role-reversal situation here where all eyes will be on Kassian tonight.

I think a Perfect Storm is brewing where the Oilers' are almost obligated to force Kassian into a fight, even if it means to pull a "Sestito" ..... They recently added Hendricks to add some more bite and truculence to their team so I could see him or Gazdic going out of their way to force the issue with him.

If Kassian turtles (I seriously doubt he will), I have a feeling fans here won't be calling him a "chicken."

You could make a case, that is being "hockey smart," if he gets the Canucks a 7min PP and covers up sufficiently to not get hurt ... (even though their chances of scoring would be, uh, questionable given their recent form).

But I would rather him just "Answer the Bell" and be done with it so this issue doesn't linger on and cause potential problems for his teammates.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hey, I think we have a role-reversal situation here where all eyes will be on Kassian tonight.

I think a Perfect Storm is brewing where the Oilers' are almost obligated to force Kassian into a fight, even if it means to pull a "Sestito" ..... They recently added Hendricks to add some more bite and truculence to their team so I could see him or Gazdic going out of their way to force the issue with him.

If Kassian turtles (I seriously doubt he will), I have a feeling fans here won't be calling him a "chicken."

You could make a case, that is being "hockey smart," if he gets the Canucks a 7min PP and covers up sufficiently to not get hurt ... (even though their chances of scoring would be, uh, questionable given their recent form).

But I would rather him just "Answer the Bell" and be done with it so this issue doesn't linger on and cause potential problems for his teammates.

If Kassian turtles then yes, I will call him a chicken. Though the Oilers have had plenty of time to respond, so I'm not sure why tonight would be the time?

Betamax*

If Kassian turtles then yes, I will call him a chicken. Though the Oilers have had plenty of time to respond, so I'm not sure why tonight would be the time?

The sayin' goes "Better late than never ..."

During the post game interviews last game both their Team Captain, Ference and Coach Eakins took a lot of heat and questions on why they let Kassian "off the hook" (in my words). It's like it as big or even bigger than the fact that they lost the game.

With the "Lowe must Go" protests going on, I could see a "Wag the Dog" scenario where they could deflect a little bit of criticism on their organization by staging some orchestrated violence so the media has something else to focus on.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
L.A. has not won a game since the game vs. the Canucks. Nolan answered the bell vs. Lucic showing that "either he or the team" was not happy about his behavior before. Really i do not think he needs to fight for bodychecking Krug. However I am sure Quick and Doughty would prefer not to be targeted by the other team because of the actions of a 4th liner. L.A. are struggling, being diciplined is great in the playoffs but if you do not respond in the regular season you have to eat a lot of ****. The next game with the Canucks should be interesting as I am sure they will be encouraged to intiate.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I think this thread says it all. The fact that it has garnered so many votes to the poll tells me how effective "a 4th line fodder material" in Nolan is to the Kings.

In other words, I wish the Canucks had a Nolan type on the bottom six -- INITIATING not RETALIATING .....

This is the same reason why I think a nice guy like Booth doesn't fit the bottom six. He has to score to be effective. Because he doesn't have the temperment to be a truclulent hockey player that plays a bottom six role.

Now that LA has not won a game since this game, do you stick by this tactic as effective. In the short term "one game" it is an effective way to get a pp but in the larger picture about team and/or player reputation this situation has not helped the LA Kings at all. They had a reputation of being the Bruins of the West. That was false they have never been an overly good fighting team. They are big team with a couple aggressive bodycheckers. However Greene, Brown and now Nolan have been shown to be soft when push comes to shove. I would expect more teams to expose this in the future. When they played the real thing Brown and Nolan paid a big price, that game. Nolan beat up and Brown being run over repeatly.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Is this thread going to get bumped every time we play San Jose, in case they need revenge for Hertyl?
Or Phoenix for Smith?

Actually, Chicago owes us for Hansen on Hossa too!

LA for that slew foot on Pouty? Oh wait. If it was LA, it might actually be on topic.

None of those teams have responded to our nasty, dirty plays, so I guess they're building up too?

Who cares what Edmonton does. They've had ample opportunity, and haven't done anything yet. If they do, they do. But at this point it seems silly to get all worked up over the possibility. Let's just go play the damn game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad