Speculation: Did Sestito "do the right thing" by continuing to throw punches at a turtling Nolan?

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Sestito would have hurt the team less if he'd crosschecked him in the face. That makes sense NHL.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Maybe worth mentioning that I loved what Sestito did and also called Thornton a thug; Thornton should have done exactly what Sestito did. That's how you do it if you're going to do it.

Hell, I said the same thing about Bertuzzi back in the day. Attacking someone who is unaware is completely beyond the bounds of hockey, whereas what Sestito did was over the line but not ridiculously outside of acceptable standards. He probably didn't need to keep punching, but it seemed like the Canucks have reached a sort of breaking point in taking abuse from other teams.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Puh-leeze.

dave, why doesn't it surprise me that you go off on your par for the course, pretentious high horse response?

I'm on a high horse? Jeez can't a guy have a little fun around here?

Seems like self-seriousness is more a hallmark of a "high horse response" than some playful sarcasm, but here we are I guess.

And I would agree with Proto - I have no real issue with Sestito's response, I think you could nitpick and say he should have thrown three fewer punches but in general for a guy in his role it was the right thing to do.

Betamax*

For some historical context, Nolan (despite being a sub-par fighter himself, even beyond the Sewers where Sestito resides in), is a guy that sticks up for his teammates.

Here are two specific examples of him challenging Sestito after the "Top Six Foward" layed out some heavy hits on Kings' Players:

Jordan Nolan vs Tom Sestito Mar 2, 2013

In the above clip, Sestito delivers a very nice hit on player #24.

Tom Sestito vs Jordan Nolan Nov 9, 2013

In the above clip, Sestito delivers a very nice hit on player #27.

It's pretty clear to me that for Sestito to evolve as a more impact player in the literal sense, he needs to target the less descript players on teams like the Kings and target their best players i.e. #8, 10, 11, 23, 26 and 77. Also I wouldn't mind if he accidentally on purpose bumped into goalie #32.

If Sestito can be to the Kings what Nolan is perceived to the Canucks ... that's what I want to see.

Not just watching Sestito react to what Nolan has done to the Canucks' Team Captain.

I think they face the Kings at least one more time this season, I'd love to see Sestito lay out a Kings player (perferably someone of note), have Nolan challenge him for the third time and pull a fake gloves drop, and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Who's with me on this?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think they face the Kings at least one more time this season, I'd love to see Sestito lay out a Kings player (perferably someone of note), have Nolan challenge him for the third time and pull a fake gloves drop, and give him a taste of his own medicine.

Who's with me on this?

I'd like to see Jordan Schroeder (assuming he's healthy) challenge Dustin Brown to a fight. The later will turtle (as per usual - gutless coward) and Schroeder then do the Hulk Hogan bit (tear off his jersey & pose for the crowd) and embarrass Brown throughout the world.....

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
I want to vote yes about 6 more times. Job well done Sestito! Targetting top players will always draw a response. Obliging that response is not optional. Especially if it's a fair fight.

Nolan is more cheap, than cowardly. No self respecting player does the fake glove drop (As it was just suggested that Sestito do in response to Nolan), let alone turtles. Especially when he's in the league for his "toughness".

I would be embarrassed and ashamed if a Canuck pulled what Nolan did. And if a Canuck ate 6 punches doing what Nolan did, I'd say next time maybe he should stand up for himself.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Ah man I'm still getting flashbacks.

The highlight for me was when Nolan took a huuuge run at Weise from behind at the Kings blueline shortly after the Doughty incident but ended up on his own ass. Weise was all "lol wtf".

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
For some historical context, Nolan (despite being a sub-par fighter himself, even beyond the Sewers where Sestito resides in), is a guy that sticks up for his teammates.

This isn't how Sestito sees it. Sestito views Nolan as a spot picker who will go with a guy like Stanton after being challenged by several bigger guys.

Anyone comparing Sestito's play on Nolan to what Thornton did to Orpik obviously is glossing over the details. Thornton didn't give Orpik any prior warning nor did he challenge him to a fight directly before he went up to Orpik. Sestito spent the entire line up at the face off circle before the puck was dropped challenging the turtle Nolan. Nolan was fully aware what was coming, unlike Thonrton.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Ah man I'm still getting flashbacks.

The highlight for me was when Nolan took a huuuge run at Weise from behind at the Kings blueline shortly after the Doughty incident but ended up on his own ass. Weise was all "lol wtf".

Best part of that was easily Weise's love-tap to Nolan's face. The look on Nolan's face after that was priceless.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
I think he did, but it's a good poll question. All we can really do is look at what he did and what the results were to say it was the right thing to do (in my opinion). Sure, the results could have been different (see Todd Bertuzzi March 2004) and we'd all say it was the wrong thing to do but that thankfullywasn't the case.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Twitter Wars: Keith Olbermann vs Tom Sestito's 13-year-old sister
Written by Steve Lepore on 15 January 2014

via: http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014...mann-vs-tom-sestito-s-13-year-old-sister.html

Sestito's 13 year old sister defends his bro from a seemingly tongue-in-cheek editorial by Keith Olbermann.

re:

Ugh, Olbermann is a joke in general, but also making fun of people for being "liberal" is a joke.

God, I hate everyone on the political spectrum except for myself. It's like, do you ever get the feeling everyone is really stupid except for you?

Also, I think we all know the worst person in sports is Burrows ;)

Wetcoaster

John "Cheech" Garrett article on the Sestito/Nolan incident and the instigator penalty.

Jordan Nolan took a run at Henrik Sedin that could have been called charging, kneeing or roughing. There was no call on the play. It was Jordan Nolan, a fourth line guy who had been a healthy scratch the previous two games taking a run at one of the best players in the league. Where is the accountability?

The players know there has to be some consequences. The league knows there has to be some response and it should come in the form of a penalty, but when it does not, what is going to happen? There has to be some payback and it cannot be stifled to the point where there is NO fear of retribution.

The instigator penalty is the free pass for every cheap shot artist in the league. Why would you drop your gloves when you know the guy or team trying to hold you accountable is going to be penalized? The league is trying to get rid of staged fights, but those are the only ones where you have two willing combatants. Jordan Nolan was confronted by Tom Sestito the first shift after his run at Henrik Sedin. Why should he be held accountable when the league is protecting him?
To sum it all up, you can take a run at the other teams top player and if the referee misses the call there is absolutely no consequences. In fact if the other team tries to impose its own justice you could end up with a seven-minute power play and the physical threat will be gone from the game. All you have to do is turtle.

The rules evolve every year in an effort to safeguard the game and its players, yet the instigator rule handcuffs the one group who hold accountability above all else, the players themselves.​
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=700781&navid=DL|VAN|home

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Here's another low quality, but good close-up view:

Also, another gem from that game - a Sedin Hit!

I like how he called Daniel Edler because Sedins don't throw hits ;)

There was a hipcheck along the boards when the Sedins and Dalpe were on the ice. I assumed it was Dalpe because, well it's the Sedins. I wasn't sure though so I watched again and Daniel and Dalpe were still in the Kings' zone.

Love the Sedins making hits if they're there, as long as it doesn't get in the way of their play. Sedins have a habit of getting the puck on the forecheck without hitting, so they get a pass there.

Wetcoaster

Cant take Garrett seriously. Even if he's probably right.
Hey you are talking about a former NHL player and all-star as well as being a former Canucks assistant GM... show some respect, eh. ;)

And also consider his encyclopedic knowledge of snack food.

Betamax*

John "Cheech" Garrett article on the Sestito/Nolan incident and the instigator penalty.

Jordan Nolan took a run at Henrik Sedin that could have been called charging, kneeing or roughing. There was no call on the play. It was Jordan Nolan, a fourth line guy who had been a healthy scratch the previous two games taking a run at one of the best players in the league. Where is the accountability?

The players know there has to be some consequences. The league knows there has to be some response and it should come in the form of a penalty, but when it does not, what is going to happen? There has to be some payback and it cannot be stifled to the point where there is NO fear of retribution.

The instigator penalty is the free pass for every cheap shot artist in the league. Why would you drop your gloves when you know the guy or team trying to hold you accountable is going to be penalized? The league is trying to get rid of staged fights, but those are the only ones where you have two willing combatants. Jordan Nolan was confronted by Tom Sestito the first shift after his run at Henrik Sedin. Why should he be held accountable when the league is protecting him?
To sum it all up, you can take a run at the other teams top player and if the referee misses the call there is absolutely no consequences. In fact if the other team tries to impose its own justice you could end up with a seven-minute power play and the physical threat will be gone from the game. All you have to do is turtle.

The rules evolve every year in an effort to safeguard the game and its players, yet the instigator rule handcuffs the one group who hold accountability above all else, the players themselves.​
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=700781&navid=DL|VAN|home

"Cheech" makes no sense to me.

Could someone explain to me how the elimination of the "instigator" penalty would prevent the opponent from "turtling" ...

In other words, the elimination of the instigator, instead of putting your team on the PK for 7 mins, you're only putting them down for "only" 5 mins but on a positive note, you remain in the game after time served?

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
"Cheech" makes no sense to me.

Could someone explain to me how the elimination of the "instigator" penalty would prevent the opponent from "turtling" ...

In other words, the elimination of the instigator, instead of putting your team on the PK for 7 mins, you're only putting them down for "only" 5 mins but on a positive note, you remain in the game after time served?

You turtle, and don't fight back. The other guy gets an additional 2 for instigating, and tossed from the game, where you don't have to deal with him again. I'd say that's a pretty good reward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad