Speculation: Did Sestito "do the right thing" by continuing to throw punches at a turtling Nolan?

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
I find it hard to believe this is even a question after the lack of push back that we witnessed under the AV regime.

The old Canucks would have rolled over and made no effort to hold the Kings accountable. It's nice to see this group push back, and hopefully the boys can build off the momentum generated last night.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
“That guy [Nolan] goes after [Ryan] Stanton a couple of games ago [in the season series] and jumps him. He’s got to answer the bell once in a while. He just does it on his own time. It’s a joke. It’s embarrassing for him. I’d be embarrassed. I don’t want to put the team down (short-handed) for seven minutes, but I also don’t want them taking runs at Hank and Danny or any of the star player we have.”

Love it. That's exactly the mentality you want from your enforcer. I'm glad he recognizes his role within the team and embraces it. Hopefully someone like Duncan Keith reads these comments before he decides to throw another cheap shot on the Sedins. Although who are we kidding, Duncan Keith reading a newspaper? The guy can barely form a coherent sentence :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I find it hard to believe this is even a question after the lack of push back that we witnessed under the AV regime.

The old Canucks would have rolled over and made no effort to hold the Kings accountable. It's nice to see this group push back, and hopefully the boys can build off the momentum generated last night.

Actually is is/was MG that promoted the turn the other cheek culture.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
“That guy [Nolan] goes after [Ryan] Stanton a couple of games ago [in the season series] and jumps him. He’s got to answer the bell once in a while. He just does it on his own time. It’s a joke. It’s embarrassing for him. I’d be embarrassed. I don’t want to put the team down (short-handed) for seven minutes, but I also don’t want them taking runs at Hank and Danny or any of the star player we have.â€

Love it. That's exactly the mentality you want from your enforcer. I'm glad he recognizes his role within the team and embraces it. Hopefully someone like Duncan Keith reads these comments before he decides to throw another cheap shot on the Sedins. Although who are we kidding, Duncan Keith reading a newspaper? The guy can barely form a coherent sentence :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's fantastic to read, thanks for posting. I'll admit I didn't want anything to do with Sestito before this year, boy has he proved me wrong.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
“That guy [Nolan] goes after [Ryan] Stanton a couple of games ago [in the season series] and jumps him. He’s got to answer the bell once in a while. He just does it on his own time. It’s a joke. It’s embarrassing for him. I’d be embarrassed. I don’t want to put the team down (short-handed) for seven minutes, but I also don’t want them taking runs at Hank and Danny or any of the star player we have.â€

Bingo, this guy has had it coming. Nolan thinks picking his spots by ducking bigger guys and fighting Stanton makes him a tough guy.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I haven't commented in this thread yet but I want to put down my thoughts.

What Sestito did was the type of action that has become necessary for us to take. Other teams take atrocious liberties with our star players, and expect no punishment by the referees (because there never is any) and expect no punishment from the league (because there never is any) and expect no retaliation from our players (because there usually has been none). We have no control over the former two, but the latter one, we can change, and apparently we are changing it.

The league has made it clear that they will not punish anyone who attacks our stars - in fact they reward it. So, as people have pointed out, our style has needed to change. It was only the previous game against the Kings where they ran our goalie, outrageously and blatantly, and of course got no penalty.

So our team needs to take matters into their own hands. Any time a guy takes a run at our goalie or our star forwards, we have to attack them. Attack the person that ran us, but also their star players. An eye for an eye and everyone's blind - but I'll take that over some psychopath stabbing me in the eyes and leaving me blind while he can still see.

I like this style of play, sticking up for each other.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
And it's not really even anyway.

Sestito and Weise got called out way more despite not injuring anyone on their team, while Dustin Brown took out Luongo.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I am surprised so many voted yes. I voted NO because the poll asked if Sestito did the right thing by continuing to throw punches. Sestito should have just got a punch or two in an stop punching once he realized that Nolan wasn't going to drop the gloves with him. That way Sestito can stay in the game and then make fun of Nolan the rest of the game. It's the smart thing to do, the message still gets delivered, and there's a bigger chance that Sestito remains in the game to ensure he'll be there if Nolan needs any reminding.

With that said, I don't mind at all what Sestito and was happy to see him going after Nolan. Had the poll actually asked whether Sestito should have went after Nolan I would have voted yes.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I haven't commented in this thread yet but I want to put down my thoughts.

What Sestito did was the type of action that has become necessary for us to take. Other teams take atrocious liberties with our star players, and expect no punishment by the referees (because there never is any) and expect no punishment from the league (because there never is any) and expect no retaliation from our players (because there usually has been none). We have no control over the former two, but the latter one, we can change, and apparently we are changing it.

The league has made it clear that they will not punish anyone who attacks our stars - in fact they reward it. So, as people have pointed out, our style has needed to change. It was only the previous game against the Kings where they ran our goalie, outrageously and blatantly, and of course got no penalty.

So our team needs to take matters into their own hands. Any time a guy takes a run at our goalie or our star forwards, we have to attack them. Attack the person that ran us, but also their star players. An eye for an eye and everyone's blind - but I'll take that over some psychopath stabbing me in the eyes and leaving me blind while he can still see.

I like this style of play, sticking up for each other.

it is as you describe it. One can turn the other cheek, that is ok, but a man only have two and after the second slap then there is a different take on matters. Awesome variant of the Boromir meme too!

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I am surprised so many voted yes. I voted NO because the poll asked if Sestito did the right thing by continuing to throw punches. Sestito should have just got a punch or two in an stop punching once he realized that Nolan wasn't going to drop the gloves with him. That way Sestito can stay in the game and then make fun of Nolan the rest of the game. It's the smart thing to do, the message still gets delivered, and there's a bigger chance that Sestito remains in the game to ensure he'll be there if Nolan needs any reminding.

With that said, I don't mind at all what Sestito and was happy to see him going after Nolan. Had the poll actually asked whether Sestito should have went after Nolan I would have voted yes.

But the message that Sestito sent was that even if you're a coward and won't answer the bell, he's coming for you anyway and you better hope the refs get there quick because he's not stopping if you turtle.

Having a nut on the team who is prepared to do that if you do something stupid will make you think twice. Being able to turtle means you can keep getting away with it.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
What Sestito did was one punch away from a Thornton/Orpik situation.

Puh-leeze.

Where was the approach from behind, the slew foot with no warning to throw the player to the ice, the repeated punches to a player unable to take a defensive position?

Thornton/Bertuzzi/etc type assaults are the types of incidents which thankfully only occur every few seasons, one player turtling on a fight probably happens once a month in this league completely different situations.

(Not to attribute this belief to you PG Canuck, but,)

Some doofus in the PHT comments section tried to liken the Sestito/Nolan fight to Emery/Holtby what are people watching? :rolleyes:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Oh and because this thread is a Betamax special and it's going to come to this eventually I'd better weigh in with my poll answer.

I believe Tom Sestito "did the right thing" in continuing to punch Jordan Nolan after he'd declined to fight, in fact he did Jordan Nolan a favour.

You see, if a player fails to "answer the bell" after a questionable hit, I am told there is a not-laughably-insignificant chance that he might befall the same fate as previous bell ignorers like Steve Moore, Brooks Orpik, and Donald Brashear.

Jordan Nolan attempted to make a poor choice and Tom Sestito did him a kindness in declining to accept that choice.

Kudos to you Tom for your selfless consideration of others!

Betamax*

Uh, I don't think the lack of a "push back" had just occurred during the AV regime. It happened earlier against the Kings this season (Brown on Bobby Lu and Nolan on Sedin), and GMMG publicly stated his displeasure. In a way he was calling out his players to show some push back.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Oh and because this thread is a Betamax special and it's going to come to this eventually I'd better weigh in with my poll answer.

I believe Tom Sestito "did the right thing" in continuing to punch Jordan Nolan after he'd declined to fight, in fact he did Jordan Nolan a favour.

You see, if a player fails to "answer the bell" after a questionable hit, I am told there is a not-laughably-insignificant chance that he might befall the same fate as previous bell ignorers like Steve Moore, Brooks Orpik, and Donald Brashear.

Jordan Nolan attempted to make a poor choice and Tom Sestito did him a kindness in declining to accept that choice.

Well "The Code" states that clear as day in paragraph three:

"If a third-line player tries to throw a hard hit on a first line player, but misses, he's still obliged to fight a different player, and if he declines to fight, that different player is obliged to override the offending player's decision, and punch him repeatedly about the face and head, so as to avoid further, even more violent retribution in future games."

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with what he did. If someone took a run at one of our young guys I'd be stoked at that response. Keep them honest

Betamax*

Actually is is/was MG that promoted the turn the other cheek culture.

Wasn't that referring to the "after the whistle stuff" like trying to draw penalties from other teams with that "instigator crap" (or diving).?

Wasn't that referring to the "after the whistle stuff" like trying to draw penalties from other teams with that "instigator crap" (or diving).?

That's the spin that some Canucks fan tried to spin when we saw this:

2lj449e.gif

re: Any other Star Player(s) that have been bullied/disrespected as much as the Sedins?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1565209

Essentially, GMMG in hindsight put too much faith on the Officials doing their jobs properly to protect the players from themselves. Therefore, it's become pretty clear that they have to take matters into their own land ... LITERALLY.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
take matters into their own land ... LITERALLY.

That's it Marchand! Me and you, in the playground, Ornskoldsvik, June 30th, 3:00 PM.

I'll be explaining to you why it's rude to call me names.

(PS. I think you mean "take matters into their own hands")

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley

"If a third-line player tries to take a reckless run at our captain for the second time in two games, but misses, he's still obliged to fight a different player, and if he declines to fight, that different player is obliged to override the offending player's decision, and punch him repeatedly about the face and head, so as to avoid further, even more violent retribution in future games."

Fixed that for you.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

"If a third-line player tries to throw a hard hit on a first line player, but misses, he's still obliged to fight a different player, and if he declines to fight, that different player is obliged to override the offending player's decision, and punch him repeatedly about the face and head, so as to avoid further, even more violent retribution in future games."

Guy actually is a 4th liner - so subsection four kicks in......

Betamax*

Puh-leeze.

dave, why doesn't it surprise me that you go off on your par for the course, pretentious high horse response?

Perhaps you can actually read the OP question more carefully (unlike the Advanced Shot Blocking Study you arrogantly cited in another thread and didn't bother to read it ... LOL) ...

As another user here, F A N stated:

What F A N stated is my view on what Sestito should have done.

Essentially, when a face shield wearing player turtles, you literally can do little damage (make the other guy pay the price), especially when the Officials are so quick to jump in to make the save. So the act itself it's more for show than actual results ... and let's not forget he put the team down for a full 7 minutes and was tossed out of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad