Did Murray try to put together a 30th place team?

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
The fact that pysyk should have been on this roster should show that he wanted a 30th place team. I don't think he expected Zadorov to force his way on this team. He was the catylist for the 10 in 13 run. This team was meant to have 3 of weber, stractan, Benoit and Mez playing at all times.

Well Zadorov only stayed because of a dispute with the team owning his KHL rights. They wouldn't sign off on him going to juniors in hopes that they could bring him pack over the pond, or something along those lines.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well Zadorov only stayed because of a dispute with the team owning his KHL rights. They wouldn't sign off on him going to juniors in hopes that they could bring him pack over the pond, or something along those lines.

Right but he's saying that means the plan was to carry: Gorges, Myers, Ristolainen, Meszaros, Strachan, Benoit and Weber. 7 defensemen, Pysyk in Rochester. Instead we're carrying 8 defensemen because of Zadorov. I'm not sure if it's true but it makes sense. If true it doesn't necessarily means what he says it does as it could simply mean Murray thought Pysyk should be in Rochester. He's been pretty vocal about wanting to see Pysyk carry the puck up ice and create more offense.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
The fact that pysyk should have been on this roster should show that he wanted a 30th place team. I don't think he expected Zadorov to force his way on this team. He was the catylist for the 10 in 13 run. This team was meant to have 3 of weber, stractan, Benoit and Mez playing at all times.

Players that look ready and play well to us fans whenever they play get held down all the time on other teams, even if fans think they could/would displace someone to make the team better. It has nothing to do with wanting to be bad.

People say we're not going to be like edmonton... and then complaining when every prospect we think is better than the plug playing in the NHL isn't called up. People seem to actually want us to be exactly like Edmonton, and call up everybody rather than plugging holes with, well, plugs and waiting on the youth like Pysyk, McCabe, Armia (when he was here), Grigs, Reinhart, etc to truly be ready. The standard for making the team, for a young player who hopefully has a future on a cup contending team, should be more than "being better than some scrub plug".

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Players that look ready and play well to us fans whenever they play get held down all the time on other teams, even if fans think they could/would displace someone to make the team better. It has nothing to do with wanting to be bad.

People say we're not going to be like edmonton... and then complaining when every prospect we think is better than the plug playing in the NHL isn't called up. People seem to actually want us to be exactly like Edmonton, and call up everybody rather than plugging holes with, well, plugs and waiting on the youth like Pysyk, McCabe, Armia (when he was here), Grigs, Reinhart, etc to truly be ready. The standard for making the team, for a young player who hopefully has a future on a cup contending team, should be more than "being better than some scrub plug".

Pysyk has been ready for the NHL for a while now, but Murray signed plugs anyways.

I don't get your argument, because I haven't seen anyone calling for McCabe, Armia, Grigs, and Reinhart to be called up. Pysyk really has nothing to do with those guys, because he's actually ready for the bigs and has shown it.

What do you think Murray wanted this team to be during the offseason?

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Pysyk has been ready for the NHL for a while now, but Murray signed plugs anyways.

I don't get your argument, because I haven't seen anyone calling for McCabe, Armia, Grigs, and Reinhart to be called up. Pysyk really has nothing to do with those guys, because he's actually ready for the bigs and has shown it.

Simon Despres was NHL ready last year for the penguins, and had shown it, but they went out and signed Scuderi anyways. Scuderi was awful, but Depres had waiver eligibility, so he mostly played in Wilkes-Barre (after Maata earned the 1 spot left that was probably initially meant for depres) except for some injury callups. Were the Pens trying to be bad last year too?

There have certainly been posters who have said the team would have been better with Armia up instead of Moulson/Gionta. Plenty of posters thought Grigs had earned a spot out of camp. McCabe is often mentioned in the same regards, and you can be sure if Zads spent the year in Juniors that many would also be using that as evidence that we're trying to be bad. The general sentiment from a certain segment of posters has been that many of our prospects would get better results than many of the current roster players.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

I think there are a lot of examples of teams not relying on unproven talent. We all know you can never have too many defencemen and as a sabres fan we learned the hard way.

Orvald

Feb 24, 2015
Belgium

I'd agree with and say it would make sense to develop them all in the AHL, but sadly that team is sucking to. :cry:

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
I feel like this is a question a whole lot of us could answer either way. There's no doubt Murray knowingly went into the season with clearly one of the worst teams in the league. There's no doubt he was very comfortable with that because the team's not in a position to go anywhere yet and because there's so much talent high in the draft. He could have done more to make the team better and he could have done less. Ultimately he retooled the roster a bit without making too many sacrifices in terms of assets (2nd for Gorges) or the future cap situation (Moulson's deal certainly isn't great for that).

There's no doubt Murray, Pegula, Black, and every remotely reasonable fan wants them to finish last at this point but I'm not sure that was the feeling going into the season, otherwise knowing they'd a get high pick.

It absolutely was the feeling going into the season...why else would Murray have gotten so mad about the draft odds being changed? Also, as far a the tread question, I believe he did purposely try to put together a 30th place team, and if he didn't, then he was not doing his job as GM. He figured that with the team he had, he was already a 30th place team last year, and he could not make 1 or 2 moves that would put them into playoff contention, so the best thing for the franchise is to keep some good prospects down, get rid of a couple players that may cause them to be better than 30th, and only make lateral moves or negative moves that will effect this season. Although he has made a couple of genius moves that positively effect next season

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
It absolutely was the feeling going into the season...why else would Murray have gotten so mad about the draft odds being changed? Also, as far a the tread question, I believe he did purposely try to put together a 30th place team, and if he didn't, then he was not doing his job as GM. He figured that with the team he had, he was already a 30th place team last year, and he could not make 1 or 2 moves that would put them into playoff contention, so the best thing for the franchise is to keep some good prospects down, get rid of a couple players that may cause them to be better than 30th, and only make lateral moves or negative moves that will effect this season. Although he has made a couple of genius moves that positively effect next season

He got mad because we had a bad team...who is coming off a season finishing 30th :laugh:

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
It absolutely was the feeling going into the season...why else would Murray have gotten so mad about the draft odds being changed?
Because he had made trades for draft picks and then the rules were being changed which decreased the value of the picks after he "bought" them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: