Speculation: Did Montreal Hire an Analytics Guy?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Thank you. I ask because I'm new to hockey and was wondering if all these numbers really have an impact on the way the game is understood an played.

I grew up with football (soccer) and, while that's a sport without a statistics culture, some attempts have been made in the past. But they all fail when you remove the context. Scores matter based on timing; a player might show less production if he's moved to a spot to accommodate a teammate and improve the overall team production; teams might just give away possession as part of their strategy, etc. Some of these things cannot be reflected with meaningful stats.

I do enjoy reading the threads about analytics here, though.

Wonder why advanced stats don't work in soccer? Everything's been said and done :nod:

pie-charts-41.jpg

;)

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I am speculating (BIG TIME) that it is Andrew Berkshire of HabsEOTP. He just quit as Co-Managing partner of HabsEOTP and is working for an analytics company now that could be hired as a consultant for the Habs. It would be strange for the guy to get a new job and quit blogging about the Habs...unless he may be working for them.

Absolute pure speculation thought. See his twitter profile to see if my story may make sense...

I think I'll actually visit the HabsEOTP website more often now that Berkshire is gone. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds him incredibly unprofessional, arrogant, and pig-headed. Good riddance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad