Speculation: Did Montreal Hire an Analytics Guy?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Going to work this morning I heard them talking on TSN 690 that someone(wish I remember who), that they said is reliable, had posted in his blog that the Habs had locked up some top notch analytics person. Did anyone hear it as well? Any idea who it is they hired if true?

I remember at the draft TSN690 interviewed the guy that used to post stats here ( think his name was Boucher) and he said he was meeting with a few teams interested in his work, perhaps it is him?

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
Going to work this morning I heard them talking on TSN 690 that someone(wish I remember who), that they said is reliable, had posted in his blog that the Habs had locked up some top notch analytics person. Did anyone hear it as well? Any idea who it is they hired if true?

I remember at the draft TSN690 interviewed the guy that used to post stats here ( think his name was Boucher) and he said he was meeting with a few teams interested in his work, perhaps it is him?

It wasn't Chris Boucher, he said so on Twitter. The name of the person hasn't come out yet and may not, with Eric Tulsky it took months for the team he was working for to be come public.

I wouldn't be optimistic about the consultant improving things. For it to really work the guy needs to be about as influential as someone like Rick Dudley in the front office but it sounds like he'll just be writing papers and sending them in:

https://twitter.com/InRodWeTrustMTL/status/618159222254120960:
Spoke to a #Habs rep today, they confirmed that an analytics consultant has been hired. Not a fulltime staffer. No name released. #tsn690

https://twitter.com/InRodWeTrustMTL/status/618159573938118657
This consultant replaces someone who had the same position, so it's not really a new added job. He'll produce reports for hockey ops #tsn690

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
One of TSN analytics guys Travis Yost or something posted on twitter the other day that Mtl hired a "shape" analytics guy, but gave no names.

I think Mtl already had a department for that, maybe just hired another person. I think Bergevin said once that they use advance stats to for opponents.

Bergevin also once said in a business management conference I believe that the biggest mistakes the Oakland A's did in regards to advance stats is let ppl know about it. So I'm going to guess what and if Mtl did hire somehow, its unlikely that it comes out.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Ok thanks, here is what he posted

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost · Jul 3
Montreal Canadiens just hired a sharp, sharp data guy.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
Ok thanks, here is what he posted

Travis Yost ‏@travisyost · Jul 3
Montreal Canadiens just hired a sharp, sharp data guy.

He will be coming to Montreal along with Bickel in exchange for Desharnais and Gilbert :sarcasm:

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
A man who analyzes numbers such as possession time bla bla bla.

Kind of like a "brains" behind the scene sort of guy. Don't know how useful it really is though.

Not always. I do remember a time though, during a game against the Red Wings. Habs were down by a goal and I looked into advanced stats during that game. I saw Quincey was having a brutal game and Galchenyuk was beasting it up. So I said to myself, if they can catch Quincey on the ice with Galchenyuk out there, they could tie it up.

Next shift, Galchenyuk steals the puck from Quincey behind the net and scores on a wraparound.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's going to be interesting to see how much pull this guy has because there's no reconciling analytics with the way we currently play. As has been pointed out in the Therrien thread he's a terrible coach - analytics wise. I'm curious to see if this results in any kind of meaningful change in how we do things. At the very least it's a positive step.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
It's going to be interesting to see how much pull this guy has because there's no reconciling analytics with the way we currently play. As has been pointed out in the Therrien thread he's a terrible coach - analytics wise. I'm curious to see if this results in any kind of meaningful change in how we do things. At the very least it's a positive step.

Pretty sure they had an analytics guy over the last couple years but they let the guy go recently.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I have a general knowledge of advance stats, but I really believe that teams have access to more info than some of the public does, in terms of more things then corsi number and stuff like that.

I really believe they all have access to in depth stats. Dan Bylsmarecently in Elliot Friedman 30 for 30 basically said he took the year to kinda scout and take a look at these advance stats.

He basically talked about how information to zone entries with the puck vs dumping it in..

We talk about stuff like that here but we really don't have any numbers to back it up.

Btw Bylsma said while controlled entry lead to more shots for, he isn't sure if that means all that much, and that its easy to defends controlled zone entries vs the dump in's for dmen.

Side note, in terms of advance stats, I remember when Shanny in Toronto was talking about them, he said that leafs had a bunch of law firms approach them with all these data for sell, kinda found that interesting that these companies actually spending money to idea gather info or come up with their own categories.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Habs don't use analytic to evaluate their own players or how they play/the quality of their play as a team. They are on the record saying that much.

Player evaluation is left to MT's keen eyes and quality/style of play is left to his infinite wisdom.

We use analytic to evaluate other teams... for some reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad