Speculation: Did Marc Bergevin make a mistake?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin's biggest mistake was adding an additional year of 4 million with Parenteau in, Briere out. Parenteau has been been a disappointment except for a few shoot outs.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Remember when Anson Carter scored 33 playing with the Sedins? If you can shoot the puck and you're put with the Sedins, you'll do well.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having him on this team, just... the contract.

The Sedins are not what they used to be. Vrbata isn't even playing with the Sedins anymore and has been their best all around forward this year.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Parenteau was a good move. He's not great, but he's way better than Brière. We had the cap space. It's all OK.

Of course Vrbata would be better. But we had to get rid of Brière, and Parenteau is basically Ryder. If Vrbata would have been willing to sign here, we would have switched Parenteau for Bryan Allen and a 3rd.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The mistake was not addressing the D. After Subban and Markov, there's not much there. Beaulieu is coming along, but I'm not sure he's a #3 yet. The team needs a legitimate second pairing defenseman, or someone who's good enough to float from the 2nd to 1st pairing without looking out of place in case Markov needed some rest.

Our depth is pretty sad, though, when Dale Weise is the #1 RW. Even a healthy Parenteau is not a #1 RW and neither is Gallagher.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
The mistake was not addressing the D. After Subban and Markov, there's not much there. Beaulieu is coming along, but I'm not sure he's a #3 yet. The team needs a legitimate second pairing defenseman, or someone who's good enough to float from the 2nd to 1st pairing without looking out of place in case Markov needed some rest.

Our depth is pretty sad, though, when Dale Weise is the #1 RW. Even a healthy Parenteau is not a #1 RW and neither is Gallagher.

totally agree.... Franson and Vermette would make this team alot better..... you could play Weise where he belongs 4th line... same with Emelin....drop him to third pair

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Did 29 teams make a mistake? No.

I'm pretty sure he just chose to play in Vancouver. Probably was told he was going to play with the Sedins. And that's what it is. It has nothing to do with MB.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Only hear fans complaining about their team fighting for 1st place in Habland, where's the mistake, really? It's absurd to run done your own team, when they have gone from last place in the East to the playoffs in a shortened year, then to the Eastern Final last year and fighting for 1st this year! Just mindboggling, it's not like the Habs are winning the SC four yrs. running and then losing due to the new regime, this talk is inane, one has to wonder if some posters are from other fanbases, seriously!:shakehead

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The record would indicate that MB hasn't made many mistakes. A few moves didn't pan out but all and all it's been smashing.

His name is Carey Price. I will give Bergie credit for bringing in the new goalie coach though.... The way I look at it with both Bergie and MT they both have gotten results but IMO it's all on Price, PK and Max along with a few other players that were there before he came.

I haven't been all that impressed with Bergie but he has gotten the results so its hard to really discredit him.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Only hear fans complaining about their team fighting for 1st place in Habland, where's the mistake, really? It's absurd to run done your own team, when they have gone from last place in the East to the playoffs in a shortened year, then to the Eastern Final last year and fighting for 1st this year! Just mindboggling, it's not like the Habs are winning the SC four yrs. running and then losing due to the new regime, this talk is inane, one has to wonder if some posters are from other fanbases, seriously!:shakehead

Everyone knows the team was not a last place team. The team was a year removed from knocking off the stanley cup chaps and 2 years removed from getting to the ECF.

Habs had a wack of injuries and bad luck the year everything fell apart. Some people act like we were the Oilers or something.

Look at the numbers and we are a lower tier team. However, we have excellent goaltending and its been that way for the last few seasons.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Everyone knows the team was not a last place team. The team was a year removed from knocking off the stanley cup chaps and 2 years removed from getting to the ECF.

Habs had a wack of injuries and bad luck the year everything fell apart. Some people act like we were the Oilers or something.

Look at the numbers and we are a lower tier team. However, we have excellent goaltending and its been that way for the last few seasons.

The fact is the Oilers were worse, and CBJ's were as well that's why they picked before the Habs. It's not like the Habs fell out of the running for the playoffs in the last two weeks of that season, c'mon now.:nod:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Well, I could just shift my argument. We had no problem giving 4 million to a washed up, declining 36 year Briere, but giving 5 million to a 33 year old who is still productive wouldn't beneficial?

Pap, Briere, it's the same mistake in my mind. MB has only extended that mistake by a year and 500K by trading the latter for the former.

I bet, you like many others, were highly supportive of the Pap/Briere swap at the time. It seems odd to criticize the GM for something you were supportive of yourself.

I didn't like the Briere signing and I didn't like the DB/Pap swap either, but most of you were calling GMMB a genius. I shouldn't say I didn't like it, I questioned the genius of the move that was being touted around these parts.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
No signing Vrbata can't be a mistake because it wasn't MB decision to make...
No way MB back down because because of 5M$ for 2 years, that is the going rate.
No way MB wanted to leave room for the Kids, no one was remotely ready to step up.
Fact is Vrbata didn't want to sign in Mtl or selected to sign in Vancouver instead, Playing with the Sedin and less taxes staying on the west coast, media take your pick most player don't have Mtl on the top of their list.

I bet, you like many others, were highly supportive of the Pap/Briere swap at the time. It seems odd to criticize the GM for something you were supportive of yourself.

I didn't like the Briere signing and I didn't like the DB/Pap swap either, but most of you were calling GMMB a genius. I shouldn't say I didn't like it, I questioned the genius of the move that was being touted around these parts.

Everyone agreed that Briere was a horrible signing, it was a probably a knee jerk reaction to not being able to get Lecavalier. PAP + a pick wasn't great but it was a step in the right direction (vs. Briere) and it had a potential to be good if PAP could turn it around, now even if PAP isn't doing anything, he still gave Mtl ±5 wins in Shootout. Again it didn't turn out be be a great move but at the same time it probably wasn't plan A.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Parenteau was a good move. He's not great, but he's way better than Brière. We had the cap space. It's all OK.

Of course Vrbata would be better. But we had to get rid of Brière, and Parenteau is basically Ryder. If Vrbata would have been willing to sign here, we would have switched Parenteau for Bryan Allen and a 3rd.

Why should Habs have any players like PAP or Briere?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

I didn't call MB a genius, I said it was a great trade because there are very players I dislike more than PAP and Briere was one of them. I also wouldn't describe myself as "highly supportive" of the trade as I really didn't say anything more than what I just explained. I'm not really fond of either player, if I had to pick one, I'd pick PAP over Briere most definitely. In a perfect world, I'd rather not have either, but getting rid of Briere was great.

So, I'm really not sure what your problem is.

Last edited:

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008
I agree with you. The Emelin is not a good DMan meme is unfounded. He is our only stay at home DMan who plays a physical game.

In 2012, Emelin was a -18 on a team that had Gorges at +14 and PK +9. Last season, Emelin was a -1 on a team that had Markov at +12. This season, Emelin is at +9 and leading the team.

All it takes are a few posts on a GDT and the story-line is set.

This.

Seriously, what has Emelin ever done to be considered this bad ?

No one in this thread is talking about Gilbert, yet to me if MB has ever done one glaring mistake it's thinking that guy's a top 4 d-man who could replace Gorges.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
This.

Seriously, what has Emelin ever done to be considered this bad ?

No one in this thread is talking about Gilbert, yet to me if MB has ever done one glaring mistake it's thinking that guy's a top 4 d-man who could replace Gorges.

He was Bergevins plan B (or probably C). He wanted Cody Franson at first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad