Speculation: Did Marc Bergevin make a mistake?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
so far MB's mistake is Emelin NMC

Don't forget about this signing

tumblr_inline_mij58cnNZk1qz4rgp.gif

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
The premise of this thread is mistaken. By all accounts Bergevin's offer to Vrbata was more or less equal to Vancouver's. Vrbata slept on the July 1 offers and chose Vancouver the next day. Bergevin didn't 'pull out' of the negotiations.

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I truly like Vrbata and his goal scoring ability is some of what this team's needs. But he's not exactly the kind of player the habs need. With guys like that, you have to surround him with players who can advance the play, do the dirty work, create space and time with their speed and size. And that's what the habs need.

Add to that, that our struggle to regain possession of the puck in our own end and execute good zone exits is very frustrating for wingers. Bergevin needs to take care of all of this before adding that piece of the puzzle in my opinion.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Considering that Vrbata is rocking a 61 pts pace at the moment. You should rethink your accessment. Plus he'd be 2nd in scoring behind Patches on our team.

I really can't stand this kind of thinking. He is playing with the Sedins......he would have considerably less points playing in Montreal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I really can't stand this kind of thinking. He is playing with the Sedins......he would have considerably less points playing in Montreal.

Patches is a better player than both Sedins at this stage of their career. Plekanec is no scrub either. I don't think his production would drop by that much. Especially if he helped our PP.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
If I remember right the Habs figured Mike McCarron(RW) would be ready to play in the NHL in two yrs., it's sure looking like a Nostradamus prediction now, IMHO.:nod:

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Our top six would certainly look a whole lot better with him in the line-up:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Vrbata
Sekac - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Wow, signing one player relegates Weise three lines and also gets Prust back on the 4th line?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Well, I could just shift my argument. We had no problem giving 4 million to a washed up, declining 36 year Briere, but giving 5 million to a 33 year old who is still productive wouldn't beneficial?

Pap, Briere, it's the same mistake in my mind. MB has only extended that mistake by a year and 500K by trading the latter for the former.

Briere was an obvious mistake, from the get go.

PAP was a valiant attempt at fixing it, but which might have just compounded it.

I still don't understand what the **** MB was thinking when he gave that contract to Briere. Just wow..

As for Vrbata, it's like the Cole signing... looks good for 1-2 years but terrible after that.

EDIT:

Yeah I thought Vrbata was signed longer than that...

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
The hindsight 20/20 comments are a bit out of hand. It's not like this is a under the radar talent who's come out of nowhere a la Tyler Johnson or whatever. I wanted Bergy to sign Vrbata last summer and he's been a pretty consistent scorer like Andy brought up.

Sometimes other teams get the UFA thats life.

He wanted to go to Vancouver.

It takes two for a FA signing you know.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Somebody PLEASE explain something to me
Last year during the playoffs when Emelin was getting under the bruins' skin and into Lucic's head was Emelin a valuable commodity then?
Was he decent in the playoffs?
Now I'm not here to protect any player because I believe that in today's NHL players are assets. BUT, the decline cannot be that severe. Afterall he's sixth in the league in hits. Also, all people are permitted a letdown are they not? Do all of you perform at your highest level day in day out, year in year out?
Let's see what he looks like at the end of the year shall we?

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I don't think anyone could have predicted parenteau would be this bad, i mean 40 pts fine, 30 points wtf?

HabsDieHard*

No real hindsight needed in this case. If all it was going to take to get Vrbata was 2 years Bergevin was foolish to not go after him.

ESpecailly since the Briere contract could have fit in this year or been retained in a deal with someone and Parenteau vs. Vrbata is a difference of a million

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Somebody PLEASE explain something to me
Last year during the playoffs when Emelin was getting under the bruins' skin and into Lucic's head was Emelin a valuable commodity then?
Was he decent in the playoffs?
Now I'm not here to protect any player because I believe that in today's NHL players are assets. BUT, the decline cannot be that severe. Afterall he's sixth in the league in hits. Also, all people are permitted a letdown are they not? Do all of you perform at your highest level day in day out, year in year out?
Let's see what he looks like at the end of the year shall we?

I agree with you. The Emelin is not a good DMan meme is unfounded. He is our only stay at home DMan who plays a physical game.

In 2012, Emelin was a -18 on a team that had Gorges at +14 and PK +9. Last season, Emelin was a -1 on a team that had Markov at +12. This season, Emelin is at +9 and leading the team.

All it takes are a few posts on a GDT and the story-line is set.

Dec 8, 2014
I agree with you. The Emelin is not a good DMan meme is unfounded. He is our only stay at home DMan who plays a physical game.

In 2012, Emelin was a -18 on a team that had Gorges at +14 and PK +9. Last season, Emelin was a -1 on a team that had Markov at +12. This season, Emelin is at +9 and leading the team.

All it takes are a few posts on a GDT and the story-line is set.

Yea stay at home D cuz terrible with the puck and lack of skills

"Yes emelin just stay back and chip the puck off the glass "

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The record would indicate that MB hasn't made many mistakes. A few moves didn't pan out but all and all it's been smashing.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yea stay at home D cuz terrible with the puck and lack of skills

"Yes emelin just stay back and chip the puck off the glass "

Not even worth a response.

Next game, watch PK Subban and how he gets the puck out of our zone when pressured. You will be surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad