Speculation: Did Marc Bergevin make a mistake?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Did MB make a mistake this summer when he didn't push hard enough for Radim Vrbata? It was rumored that Bergevin showed interest in the 33 year old but he pulled out of negotiations when the $$$ got too high and he wanted to leave room for the kids. Now thanks to hindsight, Montreal's biggest hole is in their top 6 (especially on the RW). Considering Weise has played over a dozen games in the top 6 and Montreal's scoring woes, was it a mistake not to sign Vrbata who already has 20 goals this season?

Our top six would certainly look a whole lot better with him in the line-up:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Vrbata
Sekac - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Eller - Parenteau
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Theosis

What do I put here?
Sponsor
Mar 11, 2009
Pointe-Claire, QC
He was definitely the person I wanted to sign the most in the off-season. Would have helped our goal scoring woes for sure.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Vrbata would have been nice but let's not pretend he'd have more than 10 goals playing with DD instead of the Sedins.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Hindsight is 20/20

We had traded for Parenteau a couple weeks prior to free agency. Our RW were Parenteau, Gallagher, Sekac and Weise.

Bergevin's biggest mistakes are the 4 year contracts he keep dishing left and right.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Vrbata would've been great but I thought he just chose Vancouver.

And what's the new capgeek site that folks are using? What's Vrbata's deal this year?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin's biggest mistakes are the 4 year contracts he keep dishing left and right.

Given their performances and experiences at the time of their signings, DD and Emelin shouldn't have received the length they did.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Hindsight is 20/20.

Did he make a mistake by not giving $5MM per to a 33 year old, 50 point player? No, I don't believe so.

Considering that Vrbata is rocking a 61 pts pace at the moment. You should rethink your accessment. Plus he'd be 2nd in scoring behind Patches on our team.

He was definitely the person I wanted to sign the most in the off-season. Would have helped our goal scoring woes for sure.

I hear yeah man, I wanted him badly. I'm sure him and Pleky would have had amazing chemistry...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yeah, and keep Briere :facepalm:

Well, I could just shift my argument. We had no problem giving 4 million to a washed up, declining 36 year Briere, but giving 5 million to a 33 year old who is still productive wouldn't beneficial?

Pap, Briere, it's the same mistake in my mind. MB has only extended that mistake by a year and 500K by trading the latter for the former.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Does GMMB have access to a crystal ball the rest of us don't? I guess he should have picked up Gomez while he was at it...

I don't think it's a matter of a "crystal ball" considering Vrbata has been pretty consistent in his production in the last 5-6 seasons, whereas Gomez tapered off dramatically 4 years ago and continued to do so until this season.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The hindsight 20/20 comments are a bit out of hand. It's not like this is a under the radar talent who's come out of nowhere a la Tyler Johnson or whatever. I wanted Bergy to sign Vrbata last summer and he's been a pretty consistent scorer like Andy brought up.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'd rather MB be cautious instead of too aggressive when it comes to signing FA's.

Yea Vrbata is working out great, but there are so many FA disasters that you need to be smart.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He actually did a very good thing in NOT signing him.
Our cap situation is looking damn good now. With Vrbata, it would just be about 7M heavier (because we cannot trade for Gonchar if we sign Vrbata, due to no cap).

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He actually did a very good thing in NOT signing him.
Our cap situation is looking damn good now. With Vrbata, it would just be about 7M heavier (because we cannot trade for Gonchar if we sign Vrbata, due to no cap).

IMO, that's the biggest reason why people should bring up hindsight 20/20 in this conversation. At the time Moen, Budaj and Bourque were still on the team and our cap situation was looking iffy with the contracts that are ending this summer. I think what will truly close the debate on this topic is wether or not Bergy makes a move for a top 6 forward at the TDL. Those assets could have been 'saved' if Bergy pulled the trigger on Vrbata.

FWIW, Vrbata's contract is nothing crazy: 2 years a 5M AAV.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Remember when Anson Carter scored 33 playing with the Sedins? If you can shoot the puck and you're put with the Sedins, you'll do well.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having him on this team, just... the contract.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He had great seasons playing with mediocre talent in PHX, I'm sure he'd have at least a dozen goals here.

Maybe, maybe not.

For all we know Vrbata could be playing on our 3rd line while Weise would still be on the first line as we speak. (No one is forced to use Weise in that role)

It's not like our coach doesn't have an history of betting on the wrong horse. Plus our transition game would be the same, so under-performing offense kinda come with it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Remember when Anson Carter scored 33 playing with the Sedins? If you can shoot the puck and you're put with the Sedins, you'll do well.

That being said, I wouldn't mind having him on this team, just... the contract.

Except for the fact that Vrbata has already scored 35 goals without the Sedins.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
IMO, that's the biggest reason why people should bring up hindsight 20/20 in this conversation. At the time Moen, Budaj and Bourque were still on the team and our cap situation was looking iffy with the contracts that are ending this summer. I think what will truly close the debate on this topic is wether or not Bergy makes a move for a top 6 forward at the TDL. Those assets could have been 'saved' if Bergy pulled the trigger on Vrbata.

FWIW, Vrbata's contract is nothing crazy: 2 years a 5M AAV.

Oh, i thought it was 3 years.

I prefer Vrbata at 2x5 than PAP at 2x4, but we've gotten PAP before signing Vrbata.

I still think it was, in hindsight, a good idea to NOT sign him, but that's mainly due to Beaulieu playing like a legit Top-4 D (and his contract being up).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad